Widgets Magazine

Thread: Thought provoking issue for Midtowner

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Patrick Guest

Default Thought provoking issue for Midtowner

This post is specifically for Midtowner to reply to, but I encourage others view points as well.

Midtowner, for many months now, I've heard you say that people are poor by choice. I somewhat agree with you. I've also heard you say that people have the low paying jobs they have, by choice. You specifically referenced call center jobs. You solution for these people? You get retrained in something that pays better.

Well, my thoughts on this are that not everyone can be wealthy in this world. Not veryone can better their condition. What about the guy that just doesn't have the IQ to make it through college? What about the person that majored in something in college, but a market doesn't exist for that degree now???...unfortunately, though, the person is still boatloads in debt paying back student loans. What about the person that can't just quit working and go back to school because he/she is a single parent and has a family to raise? What about the person that has mental conditions that haven't been able to be controlled by medications or counseling? What about the person that has a serious health condition like MS or Muscular Dystrophy, and can no longer work? What about the disabled? What about the guy that was layed off, but can't find work in today's economy...but he has a family and can't take time out to go back to school and retrain?

See, it isn't always choices that puts people in the financial situation they're in. Layoffs, medical problems, a sour economy, etc. aren't under anyone's individual control.

Sure, there are those that could get better jobs, but what about those that try and try and still never get anywhere? Like those I mentioned above.

I'll continue below....
    Last edited by Patrick; 02-11-2005 at 01:19 AM.

Thread Information