Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

1. Default NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

Oklahoma City could become New Orleans Hornets home for upcoming NBA season

By John Rohde
    The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City is among the cities which could become home to the New Orleans Hornets for the upcoming NBA season, according to sources in Oklahoma City and national reports on Fox Sports Radio.
    The Hornets’ possible move, due to the destruction left behind by Hurricane Katrina, is in the exploratory stage, pending discussions with officials from New Orleans, the Hornets and the NBA.

Oklahoma City mayor Mick Cornett did not return phone calls Thursday.

Baton Rogue, La., is another possibility, according to the New York Times. The city is home to Louisiana State University’s Pete Maravich Assembly Center, which holds 14,164. Houston and Dallas, already home to NBA teams, have offered to host the Hornets, according to the Dallas Morning News.

If the Hornets were to relocate to the Ford Center (capacity 18,567), even on a temporary basis, it would give Oklahoma City a unique opportunity to evaluate the feasibility of a major-pro franchise existing locally - and at no financial risk.

“We would get a chance to look at something we’ve always wanted to get a look at,” said Tim Brassfield, president of the All Sports Association, which stages the All-College Tournament inside the Ford Center.

Nine potential conflicts exist because the Oklahoma City Blazers 2005-2006 hockey schedule already has been set. The Blazers are the Ford Center’s primary tenant, but would agree to play in the Myriad when there is a conflict.

Blazers chief executive officer Brad Lund also could not be reached for comment.

Oklahoma City previously has explored luring an NBA franchise, most recently in the early 1990s, but never has become a serious contender.

In January 1997, Oklahoma City was one of nine cities to formally appear before the NHL Board of Governors in New York City in hopes of being granted an expansion franchise.

Those franchises were given to the Nashville Predators, Atlanta Thrashers, Minnesota Wild and Columbus Blue Jackets.

The chaos left by Hurricane Katrina is expected to force permanent moves for the Hornets and the NFL New Orleans Saints.

The Hornets play their home games in New Orleans Arena across the street from the Superdome, which suffered heavy damage during the storm while being used as a shelter.

Strong rumors are swirling the Saints might never play again in New Orleans and will relocate to Los Angeles as early as next season.

Similar rumors are beginning to swirl about permanently relocating the Hornets, a franchise that began in Charlotte, N.C., in 1988 and relocated to New Orleans prior to the 2002-2003 season.

Even if the Superdome and New Orleans Arena are functional, it’s unlikely either team would be financially solvent for several years while the city is being rebuilt.

The Saints have since moved into a hotel in San Antonio and will practice in the Alamodome in preparation of their season-opener on Sept. 11 at Carolina.

Members of the Hornets’ staff have relocated to Houston and are working out of Toyota Center.

The Hornets’ first preseason game is schedule for Oct. 13 in Denver. The Ford Center is scheduled to host an NBA exhibition Oct. 17 between Seattle and Houston.

The Hornets’ 82-game regular season schedule begins Nov. 2 at Cleveland. Two days later, the Hornets play Sacramento in their first home game - wherever their home might be.

- wow I can't say howmuch this excites me. I know I would definantly attend many many games if they relocated here. This could definatly put OKC on the map for professional sports. Hope we get it.

2. Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

As much as I would hate benefiting at the expense of someone else, this would provide an very unique opportunity to show what we can do as major league city. I'm all for it, even it's temporary.

flyingcowz Guest

Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

Congrats.

Best wishes from Tulsa.

4. Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

I too am saddened by the circumstances behind this possible opportunity. However, I still do not believe that OKC will ever be a major league sports city. Especially with the way ticket prices are.

In my opinion, the people of OKC simply do not, and will not, want to pay the current prices of a major league ticket, whether it be for hockey or basketball.

I would simply hate to get the franchise, and then have it move out of here after the owners see that the attendance would just not be the same due to ticket prices.

5. Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid
    I too am saddened by the circumstances behind this possible opportunity. However, I still do not believe that OKC will ever be a major league sports city. Especially with the way ticket prices are.

In my opinion, the people of OKC simply do not, and will not, want to pay the current prices of a major league ticket, whether it be for hockey or basketball.

I would simply hate to get the franchise, and then have it move out of here after the owners see that the attendance would just not be the same due to ticket prices.
    I look forward to being able to say those imortal words... "I told you so."

The circumstances behind the move are tragic, yes, however, I DO think Oklahoma Cit will support the team, and support it big time. Afterall, OU sells out all the time. OSU sells out all the time (or close to it). The Blazers draw well. The Yarddawgz (yuch on that name) sell well. And when an exebition game is played here, guess what... IT SELLS OUT!

So. What if the Hornets play here and then relocate again. It is the best test we could have short of a permanant franchise. Plus, it benefits the city. Ownership is already in place, no other investment required, sponsorship already in place. This could draw from hundreds of miles. Fans from Charlotte and New Orleans will come here to watch their team. Yes, Charlotte has a new team (no way was it deserved), however, some people still support the original. Plus. Since Oklahoma City has no real risk in this (the risk is New Orleans), it is a great move. Well... I need a minor correction. The ABA has approved a replacement franchise for Oklahoma City, and that franchise may need to be placed on hold. If the Hornets are NOT successful here, that is a risk I am willing to take. Risk a major league franchise being successful here or tell the league "thanks but no thanks, we would rather have a minor league here." Humm. That should be obvious. Turning down the Hornets would be like someone buying a lottery ticket and telling the lottery commision "no thanks. I would rather have my dollar back."

Take it now and call it a test market. If we decline this offer (if we DO get it) we will once again be known as a laughing stock. Personally, I do not want to be known as the city who turned down a free NBA franchise.

I just wonder if it will be known as the Oklahoma City Hornets.

Congrats.

Best wishes from Tulsa.
    I think it's early for any congratulations, but thank you. And if they do spend some time in Oklahoma, you're more than welcome to come and I can introduce you into the non-redneck aspect of bricktown and beyond.

You told us that a natural disaster would destroy a city allowing OKC to be in the running to host its displaced NBA team? Man, you're good.

As much as I would hate benefiting at the expense of someone else, this would provide an very unique opportunity to show what we can do as major league city. I'm all for it, even it's temporary.
    I agree. It would be a great litmus test for the city. Dallas, Houston and Baton Rouge have also offered and if a permanent list is considered several cities without teams will joining the list. Baton Rouge looks like the most natural choice, but major league sports have struggled in LA recently and Baton Rouge will also be feeling the effects of the hurricane. Dallas and Houston have great facilities, but they would be competing with the home teams for ticket sales. OKC seems like a good choice to me from that list. I think that it would be good exposure for the city no matter what. I, too, hope that we would be able to sell out games and worry about ticket prices (the exhibition game in October is $35-$60 for 100 level seats), but I bet many do not even realize that OKC could host an NBA team.

Considering the exhibition game averages around $37, you may have a point. It's about 5 weeks away and there are still many seats available (granted, OKC is a slow ticket sale market). Good seats cost the same or more than an OU ticket and there will be more than 3 times the amount of games (but also 1/4 the seats for a sell out).

Hopefully, we'll get the chance to find out.

If a temporary relationship surfaces, I would hope it would still be called the New Orleans Hornets out of deference to the situation. If a permanent relationship surfaces, I think it should be a state team for market purposes, and again keep the mascot out of deference, making it the Oklahoma Hornets.

In the end, this would be a unique opportunity to have a shot to show that OKC can overcome some of its marketing demographics and show support for a major league team. But I think we should always be respectful and mindful of how it happened.

7. Exclamation Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson

The circumstances behind the move are tragic, yes, however, I DO think Oklahoma Cit will support the team, and support it big time. Afterall, OU sells out all the time. OSU sells out all the time (or close to it). The Blazers draw well. The Yarddawgz (yuch on that name) sell well. And when an exebition game is played here, guess what... IT SELLS OUT!

So. What if the Hornets play here and then relocate again. It is the best test we could have short of a permanant franchise. Plus, it benefits the city. Ownership is already in place, no other investment required, sponsorship already in place. This could draw from hundreds of miles. Fans from Charlotte and New Orleans will come here to watch their team. Yes, Charlotte has a new team (no way was it deserved), however, some people still support the original. Plus. Since Oklahoma City has no real risk in this (the risk is New Orleans), it is a great move. Well... I need a minor correction. The ABA has approved a replacement franchise for Oklahoma City, and that franchise may need to be placed on hold. If the Hornets are NOT successful here, that is a risk I am willing to take. Risk a major league franchise being successful here or tell the league "thanks but no thanks, we would rather have a minor league here." Humm. That should be obvious. Turning down the Hornets would be like someone buying a lottery ticket and telling the lottery commision "no thanks. I would rather have my dollar back."

Take it now and call it a test market. If we decline this offer (if we DO get it) we will once again be known as a laughing stock. Personally, I do not want to be known as the city who turned down a free NBA franchise.

Perhaps I should have clarified my statement a bit more.

I'm all for taking this opportunity and seeing how OKC does. We have nothing to lose.

I just do not see citizens paying the prices a major league tickets runs nowadays.

Yes, people do pay the high prices for an OU/OSU football game. But keep in mind that there are only 12 of those games per year. With major league hockey and basketball, there are at least 82 games (for bball anyway) per season. At $30-$40 (and higher) per ticket, it's going to real tough for a major league franchise to be successful, consistently.

IMO, I believe the biggest draw to the Blazers is the low tickets prices. That's part of the reason I go - it's cheap entertainment that I can take the whole family to. And because it's cheap entertainment, I can afford to go multiple times per year. If a major league team came to OKC, I could only afford 1, maybe 2, games per season.

8. Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

"If a temporary relationship surfaces, I would hope it would still be called the New Orleans Hornets out of deference to the situation. If a permanent relationship surfaces, I think it should be a state team for market purposes, and again keep the mascot out of deference, making it the Oklahoma Hornets."

Here is a suggestion. The New Orleans-Oklahoma City Hornets. Or The New Orleans Hornets of Oklahoma City.

9. Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

To our friends who currently live, or have lived, in a major league city, could you provide us with some examples of ticket prices?

10. Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid
    Perhaps I should have clarified my statement a bit more.

I'm all for taking this opportunity and seeing how OKC does. We have nothing to lose.

I just do not see citizens paying the prices a major league tickets runs nowadays.

Yes, people do pay the high prices for an OU/OSU football game. But keep in mind that there are only 12 of those games per year. With major league hockey and basketball, there are at least 82 games (for bball anyway) per season. At $30-$40 (and higher) per ticket, it's going to real tough for a major league franchise to be successful, consistently.

IMO, I believe the biggest draw to the Blazers is the low tickets prices. That's part of the reason I go - it's cheap entertainment that I can take the whole family to. And because it's cheap entertainment, I can afford to go multiple times per year. If a major league team came to OKC, I could only afford 1, maybe 2, games per season.
    And I stand behind my posts that say Oklahoma City CAN support a major league. "Ever" is not here yet. So, how can anyone say Oklahoma City will "never" get a major league franchise? (retorical question)

11. Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

They can say that it won't for the same reason you can say that it will - it's our opinion. And quite honestly, I THINK it's the opinion of many many others around the city and nation - OKC is a minor league city. It's citizens just will not support the higher ticket prices a major league franchise will bring. (again, my opinion)

Let me ask you this...will YOU support a major league team? If so, by what means - season tickets, 1 game per season, 2 games per season, etc? I'm just curious. You're a part of OKC - what part do you plan on playing in a major league franchise's success?

I already know what I can or cannot do. I know that I cannot support the higher prices. That doesn't mean I don't want to see a franchise fail.

12. Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

OK. Basketball. Season tickets. Baseball. Season Tickets. Hockey. Season Tickets. Football. I am not a fan.

Regardless of my personaly support, even if I never attended a single game, I would still be in favor of a major league team here because I know the market demographics can support it.

I suggest we take the Hornets as a test. If they are the lowest in attendance by a VERY wide margin, then maybe I will change my opinion... About the NBA. We have not had a major league franchise. Research says we can support it. Our size (including outlining areas as far as Wichita) says we can support it.

If I were on the council, you can bet your bottom dollar I would be lobbying VERY hard for major league sports here. Because I KNOW it will work. We may have the oportunity to prove it once and for all.

Reports today are saying that the Hornets may play a few games this year in Austin at the start of the season, the Arena in N.O. sustained little damage, and the team may relocate permanently to Kansas City at a later date to the new Sprint Arena.

Sorry.

14. Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

Quote Originally Posted by Shake2005
    Reports today are saying that the Hornets may play a few games this year in Austin at the start of the season, the Arena in N.O. sustained little damage, and the team may relocate permanently to Kansas City at a later date to the new Sprint Arena.

Sorry.
    The key word here is "may." That does not eliminate Oklahoma City.

15. Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

OK. Basketball. Season tickets. Baseball. Season Tickets. Hockey. Season Tickets. Football. I am not a fan.

Regardless of my personaly support, even if I never attended a single game, I would still be in favor of a major league team here because I know the market demographics can support it.

I suggest we take the Hornets as a test. If they are the lowest in attendance by a VERY wide margin, then maybe I will change my opinion... About the NBA. We have not had a major league franchise. Research says we can support it. Our size (including outlining areas as far as Wichita) says we can support it.

If I were on the council, you can bet your bottom dollar I would be lobbying VERY hard for major league sports here. Because I KNOW it will work. We may have the oportunity to prove it once and for all.
    Thank you for that clarification on your participation. I appreciate that. However, I think you would be in the minority. We're not talking cheap, Blazer/Yard Dawgz-like prices here.

I too agree that we need to take the Hornets as a test. I think what the research is lacking is what the people would actually do when it comes to ticket prices. I have no doubt that the city of OKC, size wise, could handle a franchise - although I do fear the potential parking nightmare. I just do not believe that the average Joe citizen of OKC, of which there are many, will consistently pay the higher ticket prices that a major league franchise brings.

The key word here is "may." That does not eliminate Oklahoma City.

If you owned an NBA team, which would you chose?

Kansas City

18. Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

Quote Originally Posted by Shake2005
    If you owned an NBA team, which would you chose?
    That is a loaded question. What do you think I would say?

That is a loaded question. What do you think I would say?
    Austin?

What do you think I would say?
    Maybe. But it is THE question. It's the ONLY one that matters.

If you really have a study that suggests we can support a major league team, can we see it? I don't mean your research and intuition, but a real comparative and comprehensive study. You keep alluding to it, but we never see it. I think we would all get excited and get behind it if there was such data. If you were on the council, you would need such a study to sell the city to an owner.

KC can obviously can make stronger arguments than OKC in terms of major league viability. KC is already a major league city. Austin is a lot closer in demographics to us though. If OKC could prove viability though, it has an advantage of no competition. Austin is the same way.

I have no doubt that the city of OKC, size wise, could handle a franchise - although I do fear the potential parking nightmare.
    Parking nightmare? We have events bigger than NBA games all the time, sometimes more than one on top of another and we handle the parking fine. A concert holds more than an NBA game. It has been shown that parking can support simultaneous events at both Ford Center and the Myriad. One of our advantages is the plethora of parking downtown, especially in relation to several attractions. Park once and you can eat, go to the game, and celebrate afterwards all within a few blocks.

Have you ever gone to a major league event where the stadium is in the middle of one huge parking lot in the suburbs? THAT is a parking nightmare.

22. Default Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

"We have events bigger than NBA games all the time, sometimes more than one on top of another and we handle the parking fine. A concert holds more than an NBA game. "

...And they cost more. Plus, they are as frequent as an NBA game (taking in to consideration the season)

RockStar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe
    Kansas City
    Is that a done deal?

24. Exclamation Re: NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

This just in:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2149549

Updated: Sep. 2, 2005, 12:06 PM ET
    Hornets to open camp at Air Force AcademyESPN.com news services

NEW ORLEANS -- The New Orleans Hornets will hold at least the first two weeks of this year's training camp at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo., general manager Allan Bristow said.

The NBA team opens its preseason schedule Oct. 13 at Denver's Pepsi Center against the Denver Nuggets.

"As of right now, that's our only option," Bristow said Thursday from his vacation home in Marco Island, Fla. "We'll look for others. But right now that seems to be the best."

Bristow said no decision had been made on where the team would play its home games following the devastation to New Orleans brought by Hurricane Katrina.

All of the team's players and employees have been accounted for and are safe, but family members of several team employees are still unaccounted for, Bristow said.

"There's just no communication," Bristow said. "It's very tough."

On Wednesday, some members of the team's front office relocated to Houston and were working out of the Toyota Center as guests of the Rockets.

The NBA has sent a memo to teams telling them to prepare for the possible relocation of the Hornets.

"Even if the arena is operable, it still may be impossible to play games in New Orleans for some time," NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik wrote in the e-mail message, a copy of which was obtained by The New York Times.

Officials have estimated that it could take months to pump all of the water out of New Orleans.

Oklahoma City is willing to host the team this season, Mick Cornett said Friday. The team opens its preseason schedule Oct. 13 at Denver's Pepsi Center against the Denver Nuggets.

Cornett said that the first choice for the Hornets would obviously be to find someplace in Louisiana to play their season, but he said that since Oklahoma City has an NBA-quality arena, the Ford Center, that does not now have a major league tenant, this could be an option.

"We could be the temporary home for the team and we're available if that makes sense to the city of New Orleans," Cornett said.

Baton Rouge, La., could be a strong option as a temporary location for the Hornets. The city is home to Louisiana State University's Pete Maravich Assembly Center, which holds 14,164.

Hornets general manager Allan Bristow said no decision had been made on where the team would play its home games.

Here's the Jazz ticket schedule:

Here is their schedule:

Jazz 2005-6 Schedule

From that I count 41 home games (I could be off by a few). That would make season tickets cost the following outside of the first 5 rows:

Lower Bowl:
    $3,485
    $3,362
    $2,952
    $2,788
    $1,517

Upper Bowl:
    $1,107
    $738
    $574
    $410
    $205