Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We need to get vocal!!! International Photography Hall of Fame may move to St. Louis

Default We need to get vocal!!! International Photography Hall of Fame may move to St. Louis

Okay, we've talked about the reality of it before and some mentioned to get vocal, we NEED TO DO IT NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE, if it's not already.

Oklahoma City parking trust policy threatens hall’s location
    Published: February 3, 2009

Ample vacant space is the norm at the city’s Santa Fe Parking Garage. Photo by Steve Lackmeyer, the oklahoman

When city fathers were dreaming up plans for a new downtown, the International Photography Hall of Fame was a big part of their vision. They hired internationally renowned architect I.M. Pei in the 1960s to draw up plans that included a Tivoli Gardens-style park — what we now know as the Myriad Gardens.

And a look back at those old plans shows the International Photography Hall of Fame in the heart of it all.

Plans change, of course, and while the organization did eventually make Oklahoma City its home in 1983, that home ended up being in the Omniplex (now known as Science Museum Oklahoma).

The organization has spent the past two years trying to find a new home downtown — and was very interested in ground floor retail space at the Santa Fe Parking Garage.

At first glance, the arrangement sounded promising. The International Photography Hall of Fame had the money for renovations, but was in need of space that would either be free or very, very cheap.

The Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority (COTPA), meanwhile, had space that had gone empty for a number of years.

A deal between the two could have brought some life to one of downtown’s darkest retail corridors and added another attraction to draw visitors to the heart of the city. And yet no deal could be struck. Now the Photography Hall of Fame tentatively has decided to relocate near the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.

The folks at COTPA refused to budge from their policy of asking a minimum of $5 per square foot for this space, even though the garage’s ground floor hasn’t exceeded 50 percent occupancy in at least a quarter century. Spokesman Michael Scroggins defended the policy Monday, saying it was intended to stay consistent with COTPA’s requirements to not offer free parking spaces and thus not jeopardize agreements with bond holders.

The retail space, however, is not subject to any requirements with bond holders. If it were, I’d wonder how happy they would be with COTPA’s success rate at leasing. COTPA is a trust working on behalf of City Hall. Mayor Mick Cornett’s office confirmed that he was apprised of the talks, but he backed COTPA’s stance based on its belief the space was set to be leased fully.

Scroggins said Monday that "interest is high” in the space, thanks to the opening two years ago of the neighboring Skirvin Hilton Hotel. But occupancy at the moment is going down, not up, with the pending departure of two of the retail plaza’s three tenants.

COTPA, like all city trusts, was formed to serve the city’s interests. Whether they do so in this matter will be judged by others — but now that the failed deal is public, it will be interesting to hear what that judgment might be.

Default Re: We need to get vocal!!! International Photography Hall of Fame may move to St. Lo

Contact Mayor Cornett at:

mayor@okc.gov

200 N Walker, 3rd Floor
    Oklahoma City, OK 73102
    phone 405-297-2424
    fax 405-297-3759

COTPA
    Gary Scroggins
    Sante Fe Parking Garage Office:

Santa Fe, Broadway/Kerr Phone 405-297-2540
    Main Office Phone 405-297-2543

Default Re: We need to get vocal!!! International Photography Hall of Fame may move to St. Lo

The article sounds as if the move to St. Louis is already a done deal.

4. Default Re: We need to get vocal!!! International Photography Hall of Fame may move to St. Lo

It's tentative, but not irreversable from the board members I've interviewed. They wouldn't be able to move for another 18 months.

From OKC.gov (emphasis is mine): COTPA, a public trust administered by the City of Oklahoma City, is responsible for providing downtown parking alternatives and safe, efficient and convenient public transportation to the citizens of the greater Oklahoma City metropolitan area. COTPA public board meetings are 9 a.m the first Friday of each month in the Council Chamber.

That's this Friday, February 6th, 9:00 a.m.

At the last meeting (special meeting 1/23/2009 - http://www.okc.gov/transit/transit_l...tpa/agenda.pdf) an agenda item was to approve a lease for a gift shop in the Santa Fe Parking Garage. Anybody know anything about that?

How many square feet do they need? and how much square feet does the SF garage have that is vacant?

It says 50 percent vacancy, but how many square feet is that?

7. Default Re: We need to get vocal!!! International Photography Hall of Fame may move to St. Lo

I don't have the figures on me at the moment, but what they need is far less than the empty vacant space available at Santa Fe.

Not to hijack the thread, but why is it so difficult to find the names of people who serve on boards, trusts, authorities, committees, etc.? You'd think that their names and contact information would be right at the top. I expected greater transparency.

There was also talk about dividing up the exhibit space from the storage space so that they might be able to find a site with more visibility downtown.

Something should definitely be done to stop this move and keep this here. A move closer to the Arts District or BT would help this HOF tremendously.

SouthsideSooner Guest

Five dollars a square foot is pretty cheap. If they want free rent, it would appear that a philanthropist will need to step up to cover the cost.

I would think this would be a better fit somewhere in the Arts District.

Wait.

You mean, Oklahoma City has always been home of the International Photography Hall of Fame and Museum????

Wow! Great job of promoting this well-known tourist attraction, Oklahoma City.

First of all, I never even knew this area existed. I knew there was an area holding up the parking garage, but I never knew there was retail in it. Secondly, the Skirvin has been open for almost two years and they claim "interest is high?" If the occupancy is below 50%, COPTA needs to suck it up, rent it out for a lower rate, take the loss and get some more interest with an anchor for more tenants. Finally, we cannot afford to lose something like the IP HOF. Like Sweetnsour said, there was not promotion of this so no one else knew about it. If it was at least as well known as the soon to be opened Banjo Museum, then there would be a lot more interest.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    How many square feet do they need? and how much square feet does the SF garage have that is vacant?

It says 50 percent vacancy, but how many square feet is that?
    Very good question. Also, who or what is currently occupying that space?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    If it was at least as well known as the soon to be opened Banjo Museum, then there would be a lot more interest.
    Is this the same Banjo Museum that was in Guthrie?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but why is it so difficult to find the names of people who serve on boards, trusts, authorities, committees, etc.? You'd think that their names and contact information would be right at the top. I expected greater transparency.
    Probably the best way is to look at the agendas for each individual group. Go to okc.gov, then click on "meetings." From there you can choose among many, and they usually have the most recent or current agenda in PDF. Then, you open the agenda, and the names are usually on the cover or on the index. Lots of keystrokes, but this method works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
    Is this the same Banjo Museum that was in Guthrie?
    The same one. Here is an older thread on it detailing what will happen:

http://www.okctalk.com/bricktown-wir...bricktown.html

Sweet! Thanks! I hadn't been there in several years, so I was wondering how they were doing. They have some very cool instruments in their collection.

$5 per square foot? Keep in mind that is $5 per sq foot per year. That isn't very expensive and a move to St Louis would cost about 5 years worth of rent - at least. What is the real story because I am not buying the move to St Louis angle. As other said - what is the point of having an Arts district if we don't put art related attractions in it. A parking garage is no place for an attraction with the words 'International' and 'Fame' in the name.

Who cares? Have any of you honestly been there? Is it a tourist draw at all?

I went there a long time ago before I appreciated photography.
    http://traveler1.shutterfly.com/blackandwhitegallery

I agree that the IPHOF could do more to promote themselves. I also completely agree that the bottom of a parking garage isnt suitable for something like this. I suppose if this is the only option then it will have to do, but it wouldnt take much to find a new location. I mean, just imagine what a 3 day MAPS for Arts could do. I know that wont happen and it may sound silly but we have to try to cultivate the "creative class" type city that people always bring up.

23. Default Re: We need to get vocal!!! International Photography Hall of Fame may move to St. Lo

One step forward, two steps back. Sometime I wonder about our city. This is a great attraction and it's been here for many years. I knew Joe Ownbey who was the Executive Director at one time. It used to be located at the Omniplex.

This is strange. I would have to agree that a parking garage seems like a lousy space for such a place, but that's not relevant to the discussion. The most relevant discussion is how lame COTPA is. What a friggin' joke. Believe it or not, this city does a pretty good job supporting its arts community. This move to STL seems like an attempt to grab attention. Still, if OKC wants to retain cultural assets, it has to work hard to keep them. STL probably put together a decent package and space to make this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    STL probably put together a decent package and space to make this happen.
    I did a quick google search and didn't find one link that mentioned the IPHOF and St Louis other than this OKCTALK discussion. If they are going to St Louis no one in St Louis knows it.

I think the St Louis threat is a ruse and I don't particularly like it. If the IPHOF is looking for free or reduced exhibit space then just come out and say so, but stop with the threats. If they make a public appeal in good faith and get turned down then they can make relocation plans.

Thread Information