Widgets Magazine

Thread: It was summer in OKC........

Default It was summer in OKC........

I grew up in Oklahoma City but I've been living in Oregon since 1976. I started the first grade at Rollingwood Elementary in 1963 and graduated from Putnam City High School in 1975. I spent a year at the OSU Technical Center and then off to Oregon.

OKC was in many ways a small town back then but a great place to grow up. I had forgotten how flat it is. When I came back for my 20th reunion at PCHS in 95 I thought I was back on the ocean!

I think about Oklahoma City quite a bit especially during the summer.

I remember long, hot, and dry midwestern summers.
    Fishing at Lake Hefner docks and going to the ranger station to get a pop.
    The Foster Estes Vo-Tech Center in the southern part of the city.
    Boy Scouts, Troop 551 at Prince of Peace Lutheran Curch at 35th/meridian and summer camp at Camp Sasakwa.
    YMCA Indian Guides and Camp Classen down in Ardmore.
    Foreman Scotty, WKY, HoHo, Channel 5, Buck Owens and the Mathis Brother's TV show.
    The Highway Patrolman who put on fast draw shows, Lt. Dan Combs, I think. He put on a great show.
    Bob Jeni and the snakes. I remember he would come out to scouts, school and other events.
    I remember when there was no liquor by the drink and the lengths people would go to to get around that.
    The National Finals Rodeo at the fairgrounds.
    Wedgewood, the pool at Wedgewood and Will Rodgers park, Springlake and the Cinema 70 drive in on NW Expressway.
    KWHP, the "underground" FM station. FM was a big deal back them.
    Amateur radio classes at the FAA building at the airport.
    Downtown was a place to be avoided back then.

And, of course, the thunder storms. Thunder is rare in western Oregon and nothing even remotely like the storms in Oklahoma.
    I miss them.

OKC was a great place back then and I'm sure it is now, albeit much changed since I was there!

I should come back and see it again!

Mike P. PCHS 1975

Default Re: It was summer in OKC........

My uncle was the manager at the Will Rogers pool for quite a few years when I was maybe 10-13 years old. I would be there on a daily basis. Great memories.

Will Rodgers was a great pool. I remember you'd go in and get a basket and a safety pin with the basket number on it. You'd put your clothes in and then hope you didn't lose the pin! They had a snack bar where
    you'd always buy something. Of course we were always ogling the local cuties. Great weather and great fun. Of course, I was much, much younger then( late 60's early 70's ).

Mike

This is an old family movie from the mid 60's mainly from Wedgewood but at about 3:33 you can see some footage of the pool.

Wish the quality was better but it was from my dad's old super-8 tape:

Will Rogers Pool! managed it for years, Before it became a water park and after it became a water park.

Thread Information