Widgets Magazine

Thread: Cheap Furinture

Default Cheap Furinture

Moving in a few weeks and fairly new to the area. I'm looking for a place where I can get good but cheap furniture. Used and in good shape would be ok too. Mainly a entertainment center and computer desk. Any places where I can start looking. Mathis Brothers clearance section was OK but nothing I liked.

2. Default Re: Cheap Furinture

Craigslist can be a really good option. I see everything from trailer park, to shabby chic to very high end. I've both bought and sold via Craigslist in the past.

As in retail, I like some of the antique/vintage places along Western or in the Plaza area.

Sam's furniture is often well made and priced right. Plus, virtually everything goes on clearance at some point. A $200 chair I bought there a couple of months ago is already down to $129. Bought a returned leather modern recliner for 70% off in the recent past. Problem is, it can be very hit or miss and prices/clearance is not the same from store-to-store.

Default Re: Cheap Furinture

Goodwill usually has a good selection.

Planks and cinder blocks with a huge wire spool table. Smaller spools make great side tables. When I was in the Air Force and that's how just about every bachelor decorated his crash pad.

Once way back in college we came across a majorly fantastic cheap deal on soda by the case, and we loaded up. Flipped empty cardboard flats over the top level of cans, wrapped the 4 wide x 4 high stack in the living room with a sheet and pinned it up. Instant coffee table. Similar with other smaller stacks. It took quite a while before we ran out of our fake tables.

We have a knack for stumbling across furniture deals by people downsizing or moving or just tired of what they have, even if they haven't had it long.

6. Default Re: Cheap Furinture

Also, this time of year is garage sale heaven.

7. Default Re: Cheap Furinture

+1 for Craigslist, but you have to be patient to find the deals. I spent four months looking for a nice executive desk for my home office. I finally found a steal of a deal on an awesome Hooker executive desk, with matching lateral file cabinet for only $300. He had moved out of state, his new place couldn't accommodate it and he and was tired of paying for a storage locker to house it. I was almost giddy handing the guy the money.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Also, this time of year is garage sale heaven.
    Ain't that the truth. Makes it hard to navigate neighborhoods sometimes.

Thread Information