Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HWY 9 widening?

Default HWY 9 widening?

Theres's a huge pile of concrete barriers at Imhoff and 24th East in that open field. Are they starting the widening of HWY 9 here pretty soon? Haven't read anything about it.

2. Default Re: HWY 9 widening?

I believe that is correct. This year is the widening to 48th.

Default Re: HWY 9 widening?

A segment of HY-9 is planed soon but I was told that the state will eventually 4 lane HY -9 all the way to just south of Shawnee.

HY 9 in the Norman area needs to be brought up to near interstate standers.... Its a dangerous road.

4. Default Re: HWY 9 widening?

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    A segment of HY-9 is planed soon but I was told that the state will eventually 4 lane HY -9 all the way to just south of Shawnee.

HY 9 in the Norman area needs to be brought up to near interstate standers.... Its a dangerous road.
    It's already been approved for Hwy 9 to go to 4 lanes all the way to Tecumseh.

The improvements are needed because the most dangerous spot is through East Norman by the lake. People just drive way too fast for the road out there. I still believe we should see Hwy 9 go over the major intersections it has lights at night to allow for a better flow of traffic. Granted rush hour isn't that terrible (just went through it) but it would help. Of course the biggest bottle neck, westbound, is the light at 24th SW. No reason why Hwy 9 shouldn't be going over that intersection with the rebuild right now.

Does anybody know the specifics of the work done on 9? Are the building overpasses with entrances and exits like a normal urban highway/freeway?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    Does anybody know the specifics of the work done on 9? Are the building overpasses with entrances and exits like a normal urban highway/freeway?
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by normal?

Here's a brochure that show the cloverleafs planned for the new HWY 9/I-35 interchange - http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meeti...2/brochure.pdf

7. Default Re: HWY 9 widening?

Well there are two projects. The new I-35 interchange which has already started and then the widening project east of US 77. They've already repaved the section in between and redid the bridge over US 77 a few years ago, so they aren't touching that this time around.

Sorry, normal may not be the best term. I was wondering if they were going to make hwy 9 with overpasses over the main roads with lights full with exits and entrances to keep traffic flowing. Getting to the east side of Norman can take a long time sometimes.

HangryHippo Guest

No worries, zach, I just didn't know what you meant exactly. But I don't think what you're asking about is in the cards. If it is, I haven't heard a word about it.

They need to establish a building moratorium in south and east Norman so future growth doesn't reclog the road after they widen it.

...Getting to the east side of Norman can take a long time sometimes.
    psssst. Two words. Tecumseh Rd. Mum's the word.

12. Default Re: HWY 9 widening?

Sorry, normal may not be the best term. I was wondering if they were going to make hwy 9 with overpasses over the main roads with lights full with exits and entrances to keep traffic flowing. Getting to the east side of Norman can take a long time sometimes.
    As far as I'm aware there are no plans to put in any overpasses at any of the streets between I-35 and 12th SE. I don't think I've ever spent more than 10 minutes going from I-25 to US 77, even during peak rush hour. Yeah it backs up at times, but nothing terrible. Sure game day traffic and such is crazy, but that is the exception.

13. Default Re: HWY 9 widening?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    They need to establish a building moratorium in south and east Norman so future growth doesn't reclog the road after they widen it.
    It isn't so much heavy traffic for why they are widening it, it is a safety thing. It is one of the more deadly strips of road because people don't know how to 1) watch the speed limit and 2) watch for those turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Even if Norman had a building moratorium in eastern parts of the city there are large amounts of growth in rural and small towns to the east that will keep HY-9 increasingly crowded and dangerous.

It needs to be brought up to near interstate standards for several miles at a minimum... It would have been done 30 to 40 years ago in Texas.

15. Default Re: HWY 9 widening?

Some many opinions of what Hwy 9 should be...by those that aren't driving it every day.

Do we need overpasses put it? It would be nice, especially at the main bottle neck points. In reality though it only backs up for a very limited amount of time per day. Sitting through one cycle of a traffic light isn't the end of the world.

Let's also not hijack this topic in thinking the widening is solely for the reason of heavy traffic. They are widening the 2 lane road east of 77. The primary reason for this safety for people turning. There isn't exactly bumper to bumper traffic going out to the Lake everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Some many opinions of what Hwy 9 should be...by those that aren't driving it every day.

Do we need overpasses put it? It would be nice, especially at the main bottle neck points. In reality though it only backs up for a very limited amount of time per day. Sitting through one cycle of a traffic light isn't the end of the world.

Let's also not hijack this topic in thinking the widening is solely for the reason of heavy traffic. They are widening the 2 lane road east of 77. The primary reason for this safety for people turning. There isn't exactly bumper to bumper traffic going out to the Lake everyday.
    Exactly.....but at least I'm driving it on all days of the week at and at several random times of the day unlike many commuters...
    I'm on parts of HY - 9 probably 100 time a year on average and that enough to know that its crowed and dangerous by any reasonable standard.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    Exactly.....but at least I'm driving it on all days of the week at and at several random times of the day unlike many commuters...
    I'm on parts of HY - 9 probably 100 time a year on average and that enough to know that its crowed and dangerous by any reasonable standard.
    This post doesn't make a lot of sense. You drive it every day, several times a day, but on average you're on the road 100 times per year? Does not compute.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    This post doesn't make a lot of sense. You drive it every day, several times a day, but on average you're on the road 100 times per year? Does not compute.
    Where did I say I drove it every day?
    I drive it at random times of the day, for a total of about 100 times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post

I think what people are mostly concerned about is the future, and how it's probably going to only get worse. In addition to that, it's hard to see other areas of the state actually being proactive and planning ahead like the widening of the Kilpatrick Turnpike to a 6 lane road so far advance for planning purposes (yes, different funds, but still). And of course, Texas always planning ahead too with their roads for future growth. As someone that lives off Highway 9, yes it only gets severely backed up a few times a day, but even for the rest of the parts outside of 11 PM to 6 AM, it's still way more crowded then it should be.

I wonder how this will affect my commute to work (NCED). I, along with 300+ other employees, use the employee entrance that is just east of the "Technology Pl." traffic light. However, I'll be glad when this section of road is 4 lanes because I feel very unsafe coming to a dead stop waiting to turn into the parking lot when the speed limit is 50mph and there's only one lane.

21. Default Re: HWY 9 widening?

Much of the concrete plant is built now at 24th and Imhoff. Construction officially kicks off in July and will finish up in April 2015. As we've touched on in the past, the road will be 4 lanes to 36th in this phase. The center median will be extended east through this new section. The intersection at 24th will see improvements and updated traffic lights for Technology Place, Saxon Blvd, and 36th.

I heard from my biker buddy that they are planning a bike path all the way along HW9 to Thunderbird? Anyone else hear that? He had not other details, we hoped it was NOT just a wider shoulder for bikes (that would be terrifying) but rather a seperate trail like what is north of Robinson by the airport. I hoped this would be part of the HW9 work, but I'll probably be dissapointed.

23. Default Re: HWY 9 widening?

Quote Originally Posted by tfandango View Post
    I heard from my biker buddy that they are planning a bike path all the way along HW9 to Thunderbird? Anyone else hear that? He had not other details, we hoped it was NOT just a wider shoulder for bikes (that would be terrifying) but rather a seperate trail like what is north of Robinson by the airport. I hoped this would be part of the HW9 work, but I'll probably be dissapointed.
    Never heard anything like that.

South OKC Re: HWY 9 widening?

A separated jogging/bike trail along Hwy 9 is in the Trails Master Plan. I don't know its status and funding though.

I was told that it’s very early in the discussion phases….. but that there is growing interest among a few select elected leaders about improving HY- 9 in the Norman area to near Interstate standards?

Thread Information