Widgets Magazine

Thread: Kelly Ogle takes stand for Chirst

Patrick Guest

Default Kelly Ogle takes stand for Chirst

Kelly shared this with us in Sunday School this past week. News 9 is preparing a video holiday greeting from the entire staff at News 9. Instead of saying Merry "Christmas" this year, producers at channel 9 wanted to be politically correct and change the message to "Happy Holidays!"

Kelly Ogle, one of the senior anchors at News 9, and a champion for morals and Christianity, really took offense and told producers that he would not be participating in the commericial if "Christ"mas was taken out of the ad.

Well, Kelly wasn't able to release the final details to us, but he said to stay tuned. We'll see just how much of a pull Kelly has at the station. I'm guessing "Christmas" was re-inserted and Kelly participated, but that's just my guess!

2. Default Re: Kelly Ogle takes stand for Chirst

Although Christmas is an important time fo year for the majority of people, me included, I must agree with KWTV. Here is why.

Limiting the greeting to Christmas will segragate many religious types. Example. Jews do not celebrate Christmas, right? The have Hanakah (sp). Other religions have other celebrations such as muslem (sp) with Kwanza. And some do not believe in holidays at all (their loss). So, the term in order to satisfy the others who do not celebrate Christmas is "holidays."

I remember when I was 20 I got a job at Emmer's in Crossroads. I would tell the customers "Merry Christmas." The assistant manager, Al Waintroob, suggested I try "happy holidays" reminding me that not all people celebrate Christmas and there is, however, more than one holiday in the week. So, I started with "happy holidays," and continue the greeting to this day.

Although the Emmer's are Jewish and so was Mr. Waintroob, he had a point. I do not believe in this often misused term of "politically correct" because it is the liberals way of ordering me to use terms I refuse to use (my right) and political has nothhing to do with expressionism. However, on an occasion, I DO agree a milder way is best... And this is one of them.

Kelly Ogle, just like anyone else, is entitled to his opinion. And often I agree. at times I do not... As in this one.

Happy holidays everyone!

Default Re: Kelly Ogle takes stand for Chirst

He's a really good guy.

Kelly's also a fraternity brother of mine

Keith Guest

I am glad to see Kelly stand his ground. It may be “politically correct” for them to say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas,” however, in my book, politics has nothing to do with Christmas. Too many people have taken Christ out of Christmas, and choose not to celebrate the birth of Jesus. That is their right, however, The U.S.A., and other countries know December 25 as Christmas, not just a “holiday.” The majority knows what Christmas is, so let the majority rule on what should be said.

If someone tells me happy holidays, I will tell them Merry Christmas. If it offends somebody when I say Merry Christmas, then I guess they will have to be offended. I don’t mind someone saying Happy Haunaka(sp) to me, or something to that effect. It doesn’t offend me, because they have that right to believe the way they do. Lord knows that there are many things happening in the world that offend us, however, we still have to deal with it. All religions know what Christmas is….it is not just another holiday.

I hope that News9 saw it Kelly's way.

Patrick Guest

I'm pretty sure News 9 saw it Kelly's way.... I appaud him for trying to keep "Christ" in Christmas.

SoundMind Guest

Patrick, you're pretty lucky to have Kelly as a Sunday School teacher. He's a really neat guy. As a fellow Christian, I'm glad he's standing up for the real reason for the season. Now, Patrick, if we could only get you to see Kelly's views on politics!

7. Default Re: Kelly Ogle takes stand for Chirst

Keith,

I agree with you on the point of people taking Christ out of the holiday and reducing to it's commercial base. And I think a holiday greeting airing on Chirstmas Eve or Christmas day, it would be entirely appropriate to say "Merry Christmas". But as these are generic ads meant to run throughout the holiday "season" there is nothing wrong with changing the statement to one of Happy Holidays or perhaps even a montage of each of the newscasters wishing a wide group of individuals holiday greetings. Include a "Merry Christmas" a "Happy Hannukah" and maybe even a wish for a "Solemn Ramadan"...but we have to face the issue that we do not live in a world, country or state that is solely christian. And while we do not have to believe or worship as others do, we often forget that those of other faiths believe just as deeply in theirs as we do in ours.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being respectful and offering everyone the same wish that their "Holy" day be as wonderful as our Christmas.

It's just like how insane the school board in Mustang was. Ther would have been no real complaints about the inclusion of the nativity in the school play. There were many faiths represented in the school production. The reason the nativity was removed was because the well-meaning teacher refused to remove a line to the effect of "And now the REAL meaning of the season" thus negating the view that the other beliefs were at least respected.

I look at it this way. My faith in christ is resolute regardless of what others believe. I'm prepared to share my faith in whatever form has the most chance of doing good and allowing for a free exchange of ideas and faith. I think we can do that in an open and non-offensive ways if everyone would dtop being so damn sensitive about when their feelings are being hurt.

We all believe that our way is the one way...and we all know that everyone else (except the unitarians) think that their way is the only way...so why can't we stop proclaiming at every chance that our's is the right way...everyone knows we feel that way...instead...just include the nativity as another part of our diverse world's holiday season...and then go back to home and church and worship as it's appropriate...

Again...rambling...I know...sorry...I'll try not to be so long winded in the future.

Patrick Guest

Well, unfortunately, Kelly didn't get his way! News 9 used the "Happy Holidays" lingo all Christmas Eve and Day. Obviously Kelly refused to take part in the live holidays wish, so it wasn't aired. Instead the announcer just said Happy Holidays from News 9, while a still photo of the anchors from a previous year from shown. Kelly did stand up for his belief though....that's the reason a life holiday wish wasn't shown this year. Obviously, without him participating, they couldn't shoot it.
    Kelly toldme at church yesterday that he will continue to fight station management so changes will be made next year.

To my recollection, Muslims celebrate Ramadan and African Americans support Kwanzaa

Patrick Guest

It's funny how all of a sudden we have to be so tolerant of the religions of other cultures. You know, the Saudi government celebrates Ramadan, not Christmas. They respect the historical nature of their culture, and don't feel the need to be "tolerant" of other people's religions. I'm not saying that we need to discriminate against other religions....but I am saying that this nation was founded as a Judeo-Christian nation and we need to not lose sight of out historical roots. I wouldn't have a problem if the reason Happy Holidays was being used was to recognize all holidays around this time, but the deal is, people are cutting out Merry Christmas, and pretty much completely taking the nativity out of the season but still recognixing the other holidays. I think this was most evident in the Mustang school play. If anything, Christians are starting to be descriminated against.

11. Default Re: Kelly Ogle takes stand for Chirst

Funny how all these messages are posted and not ONE person has mentioned that some religions do not even celebrate holidays.

My main support for KWTV is the fact that there are several holidays in one week. You have Christmas, New Years, Boxing Day (Canada), Hannika (sp), Ramidan, Kwannza, and many more.

In order to be neutral, plus respect the fact that for most people, two holidays fall into one week, the term "Happy Holiday's" has been coined... And has been around for decades if not centuries.

I am just surprised the non celebrators have not complained about the mass advertising of the holidays (all holidays).

Keith Guest

Well, if someone wants to tell me Happy Hanukuh (sp?), Happy Ramadan, or Happy Kwanzaa, it would not offend me. At least the people who celebrate these holidays stand up for what they believe. That's why I believe Christians should take a stand, and not be afraid to tell someone Merry Christmas, in fear of offending them. As far as saying "Happy Holidays," I feel it's too generic and too general of a greeting. Saying Happy Holidays is actually a cop out, and you don't put emphasis on anything.

So, when Easter comes along, do we say "Happy Holiday?" When July 4 comes, do we just say "Happy Holiday" in fear of offending someone who doesn't celebrate Independence Day? What about Martin Luther King Day? Do we say Happy Holiday to the african American so that we don't offend other races? How about Veteran's day? Do we say Happy Holiday to the veterans so that we don't offend the idiots who were draft dodgers and don't believe in our military? I could go on and on, but I think everyone gets the message. Happy Holiday's is not "personal" enough. Let's get back to being proud of the holiday that we are celebrating, and not worry about the jerks who get offended.

BTW, Patrick, Christians have been discriminated for years. Everytime we turn around, another frivolous lawsuit is filed against a Christian, who is only trying to share their faith. I do understand that some Christians are pushy and over zealous, however, there are many of us who respect those that don't believe the same as we do.

13. Default Re: Kelly Ogle takes stand for Chirst

Christmas thru New Year's day is the only stretch that has multiple holidays. So, no. The proper greeting at Easter, July 4, et al would not be "happy holiday." Jews, blacks, Indians and nearly every ethnic group celebrate those.

Patrick

Who is "CHIRST"?

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JBGood
    Patrick

Who is "CHIRST"?
    Carrie Zamora's brother!
    Last edited by Patrick; 12-28-2004 at 09:44 PM.

Patrick Guest

There was a great article on the topic of Merr Christmas vs. Happy Holidays last week. I think this article presents a great slant on the issue. Check it out:

"Happy holidays or Merry Christmas?
    by John Yeats
    Perhaps the clash of worldviews is never as evident as it is during the Christmas season. This year is especially interesting because of the rumored and actual internal memos flying around within corporations and government entities. The memos are released to educate employees on proper customer service etiquette. Seems now the proper politically correct, corporate-correct and postal-correct thing to say is, "Happy Holidays." After all, we wouldn't want to offend.

My response to this is, “I am offended.” So join me shouting from the roof tops, the corporate boardrooms and the halls of government, “I (John Q. Citizen) am offended with every attempt to marginalize the real reason for the season, Jesus Christ.” If someone is offended because of our nation’s Judeo-Christian heritage, and the fact that as a nation we structured our holidays (including Sundays) based on significant Christian events, then I want the world to know that I am equally offended by the notion that we must change our ways to accommodate those who are not satisfied with our nation’s history.

Does this mean that I am intolerant of other views? If one uses the word “tolerant” in the classical sense, nothing could be farther from the truth. However, the current view of tolerance has become redefined by those who find evangelical Christianity to be anathema to their cultural agenda. Tolerance now means the acceptance and equalization of every lifestyle philosophy, except for evangelical Christianity. Our nation’s more “progressive, left-leaning” citizens are convinced that anyone who is proud of being and public about being a follower of the Lord Jesus is nothing more than a religious-extremist, social conservative or hate-monger. At least that is a short list of names they call us now. History records that past civilizations, the ones that collapsed under the weight of their moral deviancy, called us “Christians.” Some of these more enlightened individuals surmise that America’s evangelical community has some peculiar desire to establish an Old Testament theocracy with Jerry Falwell as the preeminent leader. Consequently, they believe they are on a mandate to crush any and all public expressions of Christian faith.

Such thinking is laughable and borders the absurd. Yet, this kind of thinking is articulated in the major news periodicals and media outlets. For example, in a Dec. 6 Time Magazine article, Michelle Cottle editorializes, “With all due respect to conservatives’ electoral achievements, the cultural changes that helped drive them to the polls this year—most notably stem-cell research and gay marriage—are still barreling down the pike like souped-up Hummers. . . Every time they (conservatives) go to the movies or
    turn on the television or open their child’s school books, they are reminded that traditional values ain’t what they used to be . . . Truth be told, most of the time liberals don't bother to think about social conservatives at all. Except at election time, when they suddenly become aware of them as some frightening, incomprehensible menace to their otherwise comfortable progressive society . . . it is only fair that conservatives have their moment in the sun. They may have won the battle, but their prospects for the broader culture war remain dim.”

Cottle’s editorial is a sobering reminder that elections do not change the heart of a culture. Just because believers stated their offense to certain behaviors at the polls does not mean the culture war is over and some kind of cultural revival has begun. There is no movement among the leaves in the top of the trees that suggest the winds of spiritual renewal are soon to sweep the land because of a political election.

If we want to genuinely evaluate whether cultural spiritual reformation is on the move in the land, check out the altars in our churches. Are there stains on the altar because myriads of believers are seeking genuine repentance and renewed humility? Is there a brokenness over our personal and collective iniquity? Is there a renewed passion for holy living in our thinking?

When I hear an employee or company representative say “Happy Holidays,” I want to ask, “Why do you say that?” Regrettably, my problem is I’m in a hurry. I only think about the question instead of asking and listening to their response. My rationalization suggests that they don’t have a reason other than they were coached to do so by the “management.” I think one reason some say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas” is because we have miserably failed to train people in our churches with the basics of a Christian worldview. Studies show that only 9 percent of born-again adolescents believe in absolute truth. Without a life foundation based on the truth of a personal relationship with Christ and God’s Word, how can our students (or adults for that matter) stand as soldiers of the Cross against the hoards proliferating the foolish notion of secularization?

Instead of walking away with my rationalizations, perhaps slowing down and engaging the “Happy Holiday” people with the Good News of God’s greatest gift to mankind would be a much wiser choice. "

Thread Information