Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: HTeaO

1. Uptown/23rd HTeaO (formerly Mutts)

1400 NW 23rd
    Opened 5/18/11

Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mutts1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	6230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mutts2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	6231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heapbigbeef.jpg 
Views:	1017 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	6263  

Default Re: Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs Opens Today!

I love the menu as well! Very creative and interesting ingredients!

Won't be in the city today, but this is definitely looking like a must try. I like that there is indoor seating available.

That place looks incredible. Cannot wait to try it out.

5. Default Re: Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs Opens Today!

Went in at lunch today with a couple of friends. We spent $78 on hot dogs sampling the menu. Surprisingly the line was non existent when we arrived at 11:30 but by 12:30 it was 7-8 deep, but not bad at all.

I fully expect people to rave about the place simply because its the new, cool place by the Big Truck gals.

But (as Steve will point odd I'm sure) I'm just a negative whiner.

It wasn't bad by any measure, but it wasn't great or even really good. The toppings were unique and they had a good selection, but the dogs themselves were pretty blah.

Amongst the 5 of us (2 attorneys, a DEA agent, and a owner of several car dealerships in town) we all agreed it was a bit of a disappointment and we find Sonic or Coney Island more satisfying. The dog we disliked the most was the $9 Kobe dog. Weird sweetness that nobody liked. Our favorite was the S'noran ~ wasn't 'great' but had potential.

The fried pickle spears were good and the duck fat fries were very good.

I kind of hesitated to post a luke warm to negative review on opening day. But I'm not writing it off my list and I think it's worth a visit to develop your own opinion. I'm sure it will get a bit better when all the kinks are worked out and comments are sorted through.

The building itself though was very cool.

I'll be back, but probably not for a month or two.

6. Default Re: Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs Opens Today!

A couple of students went and they were quite happy. Something about a falafel dog?
    Still corrupting young minds

I've heard nothing but rave reviews about this place. Depends on what you get I guess.

If someone in the know would be so kind to explain to the clueless amongst us, (then again it's just me) ... why are taters fried up in duck fat so vastly superior in taste to regular fried up taters?

Drove by at about 6pm and saw the place was PACKED! Some other time... some other time.

10. Default Re: Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs Opens Today!

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Drove by at about 6pm and saw the place was PACKED! Some other time... some other time.
    I bet it will be that way for awhile as soon as word has gotten out. I'm anxious to see which dogs are most popular so I can see if I like then any better.

11. Default Re: Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs Opens Today!

I tried it last night as well. My first impression was very positive. Surprisingly, I was more thrilled about the basic build-it-yourself dog (called "Best in Show") than about the specialty one I tried. What I love about the build-it-yourself is that it's $3 and a good portion for that price. You also get to choose between beef, chicken or falafel dog. I had the falafel with all of the "free" toppings available (some toppings cost a little extra but some are free to include). So, to get a falafel dog on a great bun with a ton of toppings for three bucks? I was very pleased with this value. Looking forward to going back and trying more options.

Also, I found out from one of the owners that they aren't making any of their franks in-house just yet, though they have purchased the equipment to do this and it might be coming later on.

12. Default Re: Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs Opens Today!

Quote Originally Posted by eataroundokc.com View Post
    Also, I found out from one of the owners that they aren't making any of their franks in-house just yet, though they have purchased the equipment to do this and it might be coming later on.
    I'm going to have to try the basic dog and I'm very glad to hear they are looking to make their own dogs! I love dogs with unique flavor like a Flint dog or the Red & Whites from NY.

13. Default Re: Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs Opens Today!

Here's the S'noran - which my favorite of the four dogs I sampled.....

The Snoran' is a staple in northern mexico and in Arizona. Bbates, how did the duck fat fries taste compared to regular fries? Can you compare them to anything. I'm also anxious to try the Primanti Dog, I've been wanting to get to Primanti's in Pittsburg for some time now. How was that dog?

Also, don't be surprised about the slow start, they haven't really been promoting it other than word of mouth, and I haven't seen a sign out front yet either and I drive by daily.

15. Default Re: Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs Opens Today!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    The Snoran' is a staple in northern mexico and in Arizona. Bbates, how did the duck fat fries taste compared to regular fries? Can you compare them to anything. I'm also anxious to try the Primanti Dog, I've been wanting to get to Primanti's in Pittsburg for some time now. How was that dog?

Also, don't be surprised about the slow start, they haven't really been promoting it other than word of mouth, and I haven't seen a sign out front yet either and I drive by daily.
    This was my favorite of the 4-5 dogs I tried. I wasn't "amazed" by any of them, but none were 'bad' either. But I wasn't a big ban of Big Truck when it first opened either and now its a regular stop for me and friends.

Hard to explain the fries, but I definitely liked them and we had regular fries (with jalapenos) to compare them to. I LOVED the fried pickle spears.

I had a thing in NYC once - it was a shish-kabob dog - stick with chunks/slices of different kinds of dogs and sausages. Served up hot with various sauces. Wish they'd do that, it was awesome.

I'm gonna take the wife this weekend. She loves dogs more than me and she was skeptical when I told her I wasn't all that impressed with my first visit.

16. Default Re: Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs Opens Today!

You know, I know this will sound crazy to some, but I absolutely LOVE the new dog from Sonic. I was told to try it and didn't expect much - I was wrong. I'll be checking out Mutts very soon.

I hate that I love hot dogs so much. This place is going to be the death of me...In a good way.

$78 for hot dogs? Are you insane or did you just hit the Lottery? LOL

especially when you said this:
    It wasn't bad by any measure, but it wasn't great or even really good. The toppings were unique and they had a good selection, but the dogs themselves were pretty blah.

19. Default Re: Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs Opens Today!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    $78 for hot dogs? Are you insane or did you just hit the Lottery? LOL

especially when you said this:
    We didn't want to form an opinion from just one or two dogs, so we ordered all different kinds and split them up.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post

the sign went up on the 17th ..

21. Default Re: Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs Opens Today!

Went back this evening with the real hot dog aficionado - my wife.

We shared the Windy City and the Kung-Fuey with some fried pickle spears (see pic).

Gotta say, this visit was much better than the first and we really enjoyed both dogs. She definitely wants to go back. All depends on the dog you dig.

I need to get it there, but looking over the menu it's fairly clear most of the rank and file dogs are going to be left for others. I'm just not adventurous enough, and way too picky an eater sometimes, for most items on their menu. But oh, do the others sound yummy.

Those pickles look yummy!

We went today and it was good, but $26 for 4 dogs was steep. It would be fun if you could try the different specialty dogs on a plate without any toppings, just to be able to sample the different types of meats.

25. Default Re: Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs Opens Today!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Belle View Post
    We went today and it was good, but $26 for 4 dogs was steep. It would be fun if you could try the different specialty dogs on a plate without any toppings, just to be able to sample the different types of meats.
    Yeah, the prices would probably keep me from being a regular. The pic above would probably be a typical order for two people (two dogs, a side & 2 drinks) and it was about $19. Though I guess $10/ea for dinner isn't bad. Maybe its just a psychological thing and I just can't get over paying more than $2 for a hotdog.

Thread Information