Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NW 36th and I-44 - new motel?

xrayman Guest

Default NW 36th and I-44 - new motel?

Does anybody know what's going up at the NW 36th street exit off I-44? Clearly it's a new motel, but does anyone know what it's going to be? Looks like maybe a Holiday Inn Express or maybe a Comfort Inn? Just guessing though.

Default Re: NW 36th and I-44 - new motel?

FYI, its another one of those extended stay hotels, it was advertised last year and also discussed on OKCTalk months back, I forget the name of it though.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Great. More hotels south of Belle Isle. Now I can be happy in life (sarcastic).

xrayman Guest

I can't find that old thread and I'm really curious. Maybe Crosslands....a property of Extended Stay America, Inc.?

Jay Guest

I was thinking it was a best western.......I could be wrong.

6. Default Re: NW 36th and I-44 - new motel?

I drive past this site on my home from work, and probably will throughout the construction of this motel. Yesterday, I took a closer look. I think it will be a Holiday Inn.

Patrick Guest

Hey guys, I'll try to look for the thread, but I think Holiday Inn is correct. I kind of question the location though. First off, it's right next to Kate Bernard Correctional Facility. Second, access to that property is difficult, west bound especially. If you don't get off on May Ave, you're next turn off on I-44 is NW 23rd St. East bound is a little easier...you can get off on either NW 36th St. or May Ave.

Patrick Guest

Hey guys, I dound the ink to the article. It was in the Oklahoman back in September 2004. Here's the link to the thread:
    http://www.okctalk.com/t403-new-hote...g-to-city.html

The chain is Value Place Extended Stay Hotels. It's owned by Jack Deboer, the owner of Candlewood Suites.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Isn't that what someone said at the top of this thread?

Patrick Guest

Read my second post.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

K. I think I better check their webpage to see if they are building any more hotels in OKC.

Patrick Guest

I believe the article said they're building 3 of these extended-type hotels in the metro area....1 in Del City, 1 on the south side, and the one at NW 36th and I-44.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Moore- right?

xrayman Guest

Uh oh.....just what we need....$149 a week.
    http://www.myvalueplace.com/index.html
    These cheapie places are more like housing than hotels.
    If you've seen an Intown Suites, you've seen somthing very similar.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner&RiceGrad
    Moore- right?
    I haven't been down there, but the south location was supposed to be at I-240 and Sunnylane.

Jay Guest

Nice.........sounds like the kind of hotel/motel for deadbeats and Illegal activty. I am sure every police department will welcome these places to thier community.

The website makes it sound like its just so hard to rent an apartment. Oh gee first and last months and rent and security deposits are just so hard to come by.

Well I guess maybe its hard to come by when a crack rock and a 40 are more important then paying OG&E.

soonergrad - The new hotel in Moore will be a La Quinta at the Riverwalk Shopping center behind Burger King.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Oh thats right. Now I remember, isn't it just south of the new Fire Mountain?

Anyway, thanks for that info.

Also, just call me either Grad or Nick. I get kindo toughy when people leave out Rice. Thanks.

19. Default Re: NW 36th and I-44 - new motel?

I think the hotel is more for executives and travelers who are on a budget. Many companies are cutting back on expenses now-a-days, and many execs want a more independent, self serve hotel that is close to their destination. There are not many hotels in the SE Oklahoma City area (aside from Crossroads) however there are many manufacturing plants and facilities that business people need to visit.

While I, for one, would rather stay at a 4 diamond hotel in downtown OKC, you can not argue with the marginal cost improvement of staying at the newer no service hotels - especially for extended stays.

Keep in mind, most major cities around the nation have tons of these hotels, and the crative class you guys are trying to attract happens to be attracted to these type of hotels. So dont just think that low life people will stay there!

It provides yet another hostelling option for the growing metropolis of Oklahoma City and its rather booming SE side!

[see, doesnt that sound much better than calling them a dump and further putting down OKC?] Continue the Renaissance.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Patrick Guest

What concerns me is that several of the motels in the area, along Route 66 (39th St), are used by low income people who can't qualify for an apartment. Carlisle and Arcadian Inn are good examples.

Also, I still question the location, next to Kate Bernard Correctional Facility. I wouldn't want to stay at a hotel next to a correctional facility, where inmates are freely roaming the ground unretrained!

xrayman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Also, I still question the location, next to Kate Bernard Correctional Facility. I wouldn't want to stay at a hotel next to a correctional facility, where inmates are freely roaming the ground unretrained!
    I agree, Patrick. It doesn't seem to be the greatest location for a motel. Can you imagine asking where the post office is? "Just take a right out of our parking lot, pass the correctional facility and....."

Jay Guest

I don't think any high class clintel will be using this hotel. I think its just a low rent housing option for the area. The prisoners and their familes will be using this place more frequently than the travlers.

If you don't believe me drive by the one on I-40 and Scott Street. There is nothing fancy about this place.

There are better extended stay hotel options in OKC than these places.

I think the hotel is more for executives and travelers who are on a budget. Many companies are cutting back on expenses now-a-days, and many execs want a more independent, self serve hotel that is close to their destination.
    Indeed, this is what the place is designed for and will attract the majority of travelers despite is odd location. A few days ago, the Oklahoman mentioned it will be re-aligning the 39th and 36th street exits this year. Also despite the odd location next to the correctional facility. This area is starting to boom with the new home depot and the car lot. Alot of those old properties are starting to come down.

xrayman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    Indeed, this is what the place is designed for and will attract the majority of travelers despite is odd location. A few days ago, the Oklahoman mentioned it will be re-aligning the 39th and 36th street exits this year. Also despite the odd location next to the correctional facility. This area is starting to boom with the new home depot and the car lot. Alot of those old properties are starting to come down.
    You just nailed it. The whole area around 39th and North May is getting ready to explode with the new Lowes and several other big boxes looking at the area. I have been told that the current owners of the center at 36th and May are looking at razing the whole thing and rebuilding. The current strip center, with an empty K-Mart, faces the south which would put the back doors at the Lowes. Starting over would enable them to rebuild the strip center, or sell it off to a couple of big boxes. It's all a good thing, the area is due for an upgrade. It will be nice to see more than check-cashing facilities opening in that area. (Sad, but true.)

Patrick Guest

That's actually been a pretty decent area for retail in the past. The Builder's Square there at 36th and May did well for many years, until Home Depot came into the picture and offered much better service. Also, Dub Richardson Ford and Lynn Hickey Dodge did great business there for many years.

I only hope that the tradition continues.

Lowes should do well there. The closest home improvement store is Home Depot at NW 59th and May, quite a ways away.

Also, David Stanley Ford is already doing well on that corner.

I do think razing the whole strip center at NW 36th and May would be a good idea. Having a new center face towards May Ave, to go along with Lowes would be a better use of the land.

Thread Information