Widgets Magazine

Thread: Robinson Ave Tunnel completed for MAPS 3 Central Park Access

Default Robinson Ave Tunnel completed for MAPS 3 Central Park Access

So... Several months ago there was a very lengthy conversation about what style of tunnel should be build to go underneath the Robinson Avenue highway bridge north side ramp.

A little back story to all of this. Originally the I-40 Crosstown was supposed to be entirely below grade with major streets crossing on a level plane. In what can be debated eternally between protesters and advocates as a "bait and switch" move, engineers made the case that the water table was too close to the ground to completely recess the I-40 Crosstown.

Subsequently, the highway became less like I-75 in Dallas and more like our conventional highway design with ramps elevating streets to bridge approaches. Robinson, Walker, Western, Penn, and Exchange have these "ramp boxes."

At some point, someone (or multiple people) panicked at the city as they realized that the tall concrete retaining walls that create this ramping approach would potentially sever connectivity between the new MAPS 3 Central Park and the eastern side of Robinson. It was an even bigger issue several months ago as the original Core to Shore MAPS 3 Convention Center site was still in contention.

The argument was made and Public Works debated with ODoT on the pretense that this tunnel at a minimum was warranted for emergency vehicle access from the park side to the still unknown use of the eastern side. I believe that ODoT made the city pay for the tunnel as it was not in the original plans. A fire truck can drive through it.

That leads up the meeting by the MAPS 3 Park Advisory Committee in which the design of this tunnel was debated at length.

Consequently, you can see the results in these pictures. It is almost an arch. Something unusual around here and will make for an an interesting pedestrian acoustical experience.

Default Re: Robinson Ave Tunnel completed for MAPS 3 Central Park Access

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Robinson Tunnel Pic 1.jpg 
Views:	742 
Size:	337.6 KB 
ID:	976
    Looking at it from a NE perspective

Name:	Robinson Ave Tunnel Pic 2.jpg 
Views:	720 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	977
    Looking at towards due East

Name:	Robinson Ave Tunnel Pic 3.jpg 
Views:	693 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	978
    Looking Northwest towards Downtown

Name:	Robisnon Ave Tunnel Pic 4.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	979
    Looking at it due North on what will be the downward perspective of the "ramp box" to be filled in with earth and covered with concrete pavement for driving.

Surely it will have lighting inside?

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    Surely it will have lighting inside?
    I have no idea. It's probably 100' long or so and the E/W orientation does provide light for a broad part of the day.

Is it big enough for a streetcar? You never know what the future holds.

After looking at the pictures it appears the answer to that question is Yes.

Do you know if this is strictly for vehicular traffic or if pedestrians will have access?

7. Default Re: Robinson Ave Tunnel completed for MAPS 3 Central Park Access

Hmmm, this doesn't seem right to me. Such a short tunnel. No wired electricity. Too small. I feel embarrassed to be a citizen of Oklahoma City on this one.

Not going to derail the thread but I posted a question about Urban's background info over in the I-40 thread here: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...745#post469745

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Is it big enough for a streetcar? You never know what the future holds.

After looking at the pictures it appears the answer to that question is Yes.
    Not sure that it is with a Catenary overhead wire. I did ask Public Works that they make it large enough but I think a firetruck was the item used for the sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Do you know if this is strictly for vehicular traffic or if pedestrians will have access?
    It is my understanding that pedestrians can go through there. At least I did. lol

Pardon, but it looks like a hay barn...

12. Default Re: Robinson Ave Tunnel completed for MAPS 3 Central Park Access

Come on folks, it's just your normal standard 2 lane small tunnel. it's not supposed to be an iconic structure...it's 100' for access. If it were a 6 land tunnel, maybe we'd see something cool, but it's just an access tunnel. Think about how many actual tunnels you have been through....most of them have while ceramic tile on the inside...cause that's cool. But it is bright and helps make the tunnel brighter on the inside. But for 100', i think we'll be ok here....think about how little light there is on 23rd under Lincoln.

It's going to be completely hidden by the ramp to the bridge, as far as I can tell. So, it's just an easy way to cross the street at that point, nothing more.

Nice simulated stone wall going up to "form up" the "ramp box" over the tunnel to get to the Robinson street bridge.

Name:	Tunnel with new retaining wall facing South.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	1003

Name:	Tunnel with new retaining wall.jpg 
Views:	673 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	1004

They are moving right along on this...