Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abel's Mexican Restaurant

Northwest OKC Abel's Mexican Restaurant

This place deserves some spotlight! Great food and GREAT guest service! I think everyone that works there is related. I had the Tacos Cavillos which is four steak tacos with lime, cilantro, and diced onions served with lettuce, 2 weird sweet-smelling salsas(?) which I didn't care for, and caramelized onions. It. Was. Awesome! The atmosphere could use some work. We were seated right by a window which is right next to the kitchen (LOUD). They need to move into a bigger space.

Thats all I have to say! A+!

Ohh and Abel is always there to greet you personally! Great guy! Nice stache too!

5822 NW 50th st. GO!

Default Re: Abel's Mexican Restaurant!

There was an article in the Oklahoman today that profiled the owner. Looks good

This is what I got.. Delicious.

Their queso reminds me of the queso at Tarahumara's. It's good. I've been there twice. I had chile rellanos the first time, and chicken tacos the second. I thought both of those dishes were alright, though a little on the bland side. I want to try the taco calvillos. Just read that they have another location on the southside, Abel's #2. Anybody know if you can get tacos calvillos at abel's #2?

Default Abel's Mexican Restaurant in Warr Acres

On my recent trip, I decided to pop into Able's in the shopping center on the southwest corner of NW 50th & MacArthur.

It doesn't look like much from the outside and inside is really plain, with linoleum floors and the most basic tables and chairs split between two rooms.

But I was very impressed with my food and service. The chips were fresh and hot, came with complimentary queso (good) and salsa (really good with a nice kick).

I had a Dos Equis beer which came in a large frosted goblet rimmed in lime pulp -- delicious!

I ordered the spicy burrito entre and it was massive but very, very tasty. I planned to eat no more than half but it was so good I finished more than I should have.

Service was friendly, attentive and all around excellent.

Looks like they also have quick carry-out in the front.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/14369...ant-Warr-Acres

http://www.eataroundokc.com/abels-me...kla-mex-combo/

Default Re: Abel's Mexican Restaurant in Warr Acres

Thanks for mentioning it. My boyfriend and I tried to go once, but there was quite a line, so we went elsewhere. I read great things about it in Urbanspoon...I am still trying to find a go-to Mexican place in OKC, so we'll give it another try.

Ask for the Spanish Menu or "Mexican menu" (as the waitress called it) or also known as the "taco menu". $6.50 with tax for a dozen different kind of burritos. If you get the fancy English menu, the prices go up quite a bit I noticed.

The burritos are huge and good. Plenty for a dinner/lunch.

shushhhhhhhhh. . . this is our little "jewel". . . it's crowded enough as it is!!

It's funny, I hadn't ever even heard of the place let alone read the reviews, it just caught my eye at the right time and I stopped.

I was not optimistic after walking in; not only does it not look like much on the inside, but it wasn't super busy, although it was early on a weeknight.

Sometimes low expectations lead to such surprises but I'm glad to hear it must be consistently good.

This place is consistently great. One of our favorites.

Will have to give them a try. they have another location on S. May and 74th (across the street from the closed Alberstons) in a former BBQ place. Sadly was not impressed at all. Food was just like most of the Mex places I have been to in town, they are mostly interchangeable. Wasn't horrible, but nothing stood out either. probably a "C"...average, not worthy of a repeat try.

Ask for the relish. It is very large slices of carrots with cloves on it and jalepenos and onions of course served on a plate and not in a little bowl. Very different from any relish I have ever had. I can also recommend the veggie enchiladas. The are filled with mixed veggies (think the frozen corn, green beans, carrots and peas kind). Surprisingly good, and again, very different from other veggie enchiladas I have had.

We love Abels. Eat there a lot. It's become our go-to mexican restaurant.

Hard for me to think of it as plain looking inside due to the very nice murals painted on the walls.

14. Default Re: Abel's Mexican Restaurant in Warr Acres

I have relatives in the part of town and we've eaten there a few times. Nice little local restaurant for quick (fairly) reasonable non-authentic Mexican food.

Reminds me of what Chelino's used to be and San Marcos still is.

When I'm in the mood for that kind of Mexican food it fits the bill well. Certainly better and cheaper than Ted's.

It reminded me a lot of Casa Perico (63rd & Meridian), although larger.

Default Re: Abel's Mexican Restaurant

Ate there today and holy cow, the food is so good.

I had a chicken chimichanga and it was delicious. The chicken they use is this fantastic charbroiled variety and it's very high quality. Everything about it was just so darn good.

Even their re-fried beans are really tasty.

And the wait staff is almost too friendly and nice. The waiter I had introduced himself and shook my hand. I would actually rather not shake hands with someone when I am about to eat, but it was still a sincerely warm and friendly gesture.

And before I was even halfway through the little cups of salsa and queso, another waiter came by and asked if I wanted to try the spicy green salsa and of course I did and he quickly brought it to me with more queso.

I've only been here twice but I love this place.

Yeah easily the best Tex-mex in the metro, IMO. Never had a bad meal here. Customer service is top notch every single time. Horchata is perfect, not too sweet.

The food is indeed amazing and so is Abel himself. My mom is a nurse and took care of his wife while she was briefly in the hospital. He catered lunch for all the nurses on the floor for every day she was in there. He's a good guy.

We go out of our way to give them our business.

19. Default Re: Abel's Mexican Restaurant

I guess I need to give it another go. I agree about the service being excellent, but have only found the food to be average or a little better on my visits. It's awfully bland. Based on my experiences I would put Casa Perico and Tarahumara (Norman) above Abel's, at the very least.

Blog Entries

Casa Perico is no longer in same category. However, I think Tarahumara is better than Abels

Yeah, the wife and I visited Tarahumara after hearing so much hype. We left slightly disappointed. Food was good, but not great. Service was over the top good, though. Could've been the hype that let us down, can happen sometimes. However, that was our only visit so will have to try it again. Did go to MamaVeca in Norman for the first time recently, and absolutely loved it. Felt it was better overall than Tarahumara and on the same level as Abels. Ceviche was so fresh and flavor was great, spicy like I like it. Again, our only time there too so will need to give it another go soon. Still, Abels is my favorite; always consistent every time we've gone.

I haven't found al pastor anywhere in America or Mexico when I've been able to get the wife to branch out and try the non touristy taco places when we are down there that even comes close to Abels

I'm a big fan of Abel's. I really, really like their carne guisada, ramos plate and their guisado de Puerco. Not a huge fan of their tacos or tortas. I don't normally eat enchiladas so I'm not chiming in on that.
    Also as an FYI everything on their Mexican plate section is absolutely huge. The portions are just insanely large.

That's right in my old stomping grounds. Grew up just a couple blocks over. I drove by there this weekend and wondered about the place.... actually about the whole area around that intersection. I should be back over that way next weekend. If so, I'll have to stop in.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    That's right in my old stomping grounds. Grew up just a couple blocks over. I drove by there this weekend and wondered about the place.... actually about the whole area around that intersection. I should be back over that way next weekend. If so, I'll have to stop in.
    I grew up nearby too and there are a lot of good restaurants over there: Abel's, Tim's Drive-in, Del Rancho... Then a little further at 63rd and MacArhtur, Cajun King and at 63rd & Meridian Casa Perico.

Thread Information