Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with 'mission trips'?

Default What's the deal with 'mission trips'?

Okay...while it's going to seem like I'm attacking volunteer work, I'm actually not. I just find this an intriguing aspect of Oklahoma culture.

What's the deal with so many Oklahomans going on church sponsored 'mission trips' around the world?

I do quite a bit of overseas travel esp. to poorer parts of the world and it seems every single time I come across an Okie, they are always there to 'spread the world of God' or serving in some capacity on a Christian based mission.

Does anyone else find this a bit odd?

I noticed the blog on newsok about the trip to Guatemala and it reminded me of other trips friends have gone on this summer to places like South Africa, Philippines and Mexico to witness to people in that area.

Why do people feel the need to do this?

Default Re: What's the deal with 'mission trips'?

A friend of mine is a doctor and she goes every year. She gets a lot of out of it - makes her feels like she can do some good to help people who are genuinely in need. It is church based as part of their religious mission. I never stopped to question why someone would want to do something good for the less fortunate. Seems obvious, to me, but maybe I am just not thinking about it enough.

I totally think it's gay to go on a trip with the expressed purpose of helping people. God, how selfish.

Volunteer work is not what I'm asking about. That's a no brainer.

My question is, how much of this work is spent 'witnessing' and spreading their faith? Is it 100% volunteer work (that I can see) or 70% work and 30% talking about Jesus?

It intrigues me because Oklahoma has one of the lowest Peace Corp recruitment figures as compared to, say, Vermont which produces considerably more volunteers abroad. Could this be due to church mission figures or what????

Quote Originally Posted by SweetNSourPoke View Post

My question is, how much of this work is spent 'witnessing' and spreading their faith? Is it 100% volunteer work (that I can see) or 70% work and 30% talking about Jesus?

It intrigues me because Oklahoma has one of the lowest Peace Corp recruitment figures as compared to, say, Vermont which produces considerably more volunteers abroad. Could this be due to church mission figures or what????
    Could be. This is the bible belt and that would be where do gooders would want to go. Why join a government organization when they can participate in similar acts with groups whose mission is similar to their own? Just two ways to deliver good acts. I should think this would be encouraged, not critiqued as strange. Not everyone needs a government program and paycheck to give back.

Here in fat amerika, we are used to spitting on Jesus. He is SOOOOOOO backwoods, afterall. Other parts of the world aren't so smug or so picky. I expect there are very few of the truly needy who are questioning the motivation and most of them are grateful for the help and interested in what would inspire people to go to the trouble. Besides, plenty of places that are the recipients of Christian missions are christians, themselves. I know that a lot of missions that go to South America/Central America have Catholic populations.

I don't mean to be snotty. I suspect that is because in Oklahoma, it is hip to trash/question Christianity. It is such a religious part of the country that the young people attack it as part of the establishment. The left substitutes its ideology for religion so it is pretty much a wash, I suppose. I'm happy when anyone volunteers to help others.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit Matthew 28:19

And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe. 1 Thessalonians 2:13

I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Matthew 25:36

If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? James 2:16

Some do things in the name of Christ, some do it for the community, so dont even think about doing anything and then finally some do it,because of vanity.

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Okie View Post
    Could be. This is the bible belt and that would be where do gooders would want to go. Why join a government organization when they can participate in similar acts with groups whose mission is similar to their own? Just two ways to deliver good acts. I should think this would be encouraged, not critiqued as strange. Not everyone needs a government program and paycheck to give back.

Here in fat amerika, we are used to spitting on Jesus. He is SOOOOOOO backwoods, afterall. Other parts of the world aren't so smug or so picky. I expect there are very few of the truly needy who are questioning the motivation and most of them are grateful for the help and interested in what would inspire people to go to the trouble. Besides, plenty of places that are the recipients of Christian missions are christians, themselves. I know that a lot of missions that go to South America/Central America have Catholic populations.

I don't mean to be snotty. I suspect that is because in Oklahoma, it is hip to trash/question Christianity. It is such a religious part of the country that the young people attack it as part of the establishment. The left substitutes its ideology for religion so it is pretty much a wash, I suppose. I'm happy when anyone volunteers to help others.
    Exactly. It's the "cool thing" to "rebel" when in fact is it really "rebelling against the establishment" when there are more "rebelling" than not? I'd argue that it's more rebellious to live the faith, to read your Bible daily, to pray, to serve others, because FAR less people are doing that than attacking Christianity. Jesus was a true rebel, totally countercultural for his time, he choose to be broke and homeless and "rebelled against the establishment" of his time (pharisees).

Okay...while it's going to seem like I'm attacking volunteer work, I'm actually not. I just find this an intriguing aspect of Oklahoma culture. Why do people feel the need to do this?
    Having been on several, I imagine it has something to do what gmwise mentioned. THE GREAT COMMISSION: Matthew 28:16-20 (Contemporary English Version)

What Jesus' Followers Must Do
    (Mark 16.14-18; Luke 24.36-49; John 20.19-23; Acts 1.6-8)
    16Jesus' eleven disciples went to a mountain in Galilee, where Jesus had told them to meet him. 17They saw him and worshiped him, but some of them doubted.
    18Jesus came to them and said:

I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth! 19Go to the people of all nations and make them my disciples. Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, 20and teach them to do everything I have told you. I will be with you always, even until the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwise View Post
    Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit Matthew 28:19

And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe. 1 Thessalonians 2:13

I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Matthew 25:36

If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? James 2:16

Some do things in the name of Christ, some do it for the community, so dont even think about doing anything and then finally some do it,because of vanity.
    Well said gmwise.

James 1:27

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

It really depends on the purpose of a trip, there's not any actual template for how they work. On a service trip like in the blog, a group might spend all day doing work. I've known people who have gone to help build in places, they got up in the morning, went and worked on a building, and were exhausted at the end of the day. The service is the main aspect.

But I've also known people who have gone on trips that was all about talking to people about Christianity.

Just like Peace Corps, there isn't really a single type or goal across the board. It varies.

Okay...while it's going to seem like I'm attacking volunteer work, I'm actually not. I just find this an intriguing aspect of Oklahoma culture.

What's the deal with so many Oklahomans going on church sponsored 'mission trips' around the world?

I do quite a bit of overseas travel esp. to poorer parts of the world and it seems every single time I come across an Okie, they are always there to 'spread the world of God' or serving in some capacity on a Christian based mission.

Does anyone else find this a bit odd?

I noticed the blog on newsok about the trip to Guatemala and it reminded me of other trips friends have gone on this summer to places like South Africa, Philippines and Mexico to witness to people in that area.

Why do people feel the need to do this?
    It is the height of arrogance.

I've known youth and adults who have traveled in His name, sometimes to build, sometimes to teach, sometimes to heal, sometimes to minister and comfort, sometimes a combination of two or all of the above.

Some only went because a friend went, some went to escape their home life for a spell, some got in trouble by acting out on their trips, and some, most from what I can ascertain, came back very different after faithfully giving of their time, talent or treasure to others far less fortunate.

Like anything, different folks take away different experiences from what they do, and have differing reasons for doing it.

And there are some moderately religious folks out there who genuinely enjoy the feeling of helping others who need it.

The human spirit has a prewired, predisposed instinct to help and nurture. To do so thru a church will save money, because they typically get great travel rates and accomodations (meager as they may be), and they are actually accomplishing something while getting to see the world.

Some will take the opporunity to add to the flock, but many do it just to be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkater View Post
    The human spirit has a prewired, predisposed instinct to help and nurture.

uh no.. man (human kind)... is in no way prewired or even predisposed, only way they mimicked :sharing ,helpfulness or ,nurturing is seeing it by adults, other children ,"a learned social behavior"
    Thats why parents and adults should do whats right, and behave civilly.
    "Train a child up and all these days of his life he will not depart" paraphase..
    Training is by example, and instruction, they see how a adult/parent behaves, what an adult says, how they walk with others...

14. Default Re: What's the deal with 'mission trips'?

Last time I was in Subic Bay, PI, the biggest brothel that catered to people looking for underage prostitutes was funded by a "Missionary" group out of Oklahoma working under the Preda Foundation...

This was in 1992-1994..

I have very little faith in the works of *any* religious "missionary" trips funded by organized religion churches..

Yeah fuzzy, mission trips are really secret spring break trips to fund brothels and other disgusting practices. Get real.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Yeah fuzzy, mission trips are really secret spring break trips to fund brothels and other disgusting practices. Get real.
    Fuzzy speaks the truth. I saw the same in Subic Bay, Manilla and Angeles City.

hmmm, distrust all mission work because of one bad example. Seems somewhat akin to assuming all republicans will shoot their friends.

Yes, some people do horrid things, even people hiding under a cloak of religion. It doesn't mean all people reaching out to others do horrid things.

To each their own opinion, but I hope yours doesn't ever prevail with most.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    hmmm, distrust all mission work because of one bad example. .
    Who said that? How about using the "quote" function so we'll know exactly who you are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Instructor View Post
    Who said that? How about using the "quote" function so we'll know exactly who you are referring to.
    I think kevin was referring to fuzzytoads comment

indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    indeed.
    Gotcha. I can understand fuzzy's position though, at least to some extent. Certainly most folks who do these missions must be sincere, but I imagine there are many simply doing it to get a free/cheap vacation. One of my students told me about a mission trip to Costa Rica with his church. The guy was a total party animal, and admitted his intent to slip away and "sample" the native girls.

I do recall thinking back in my church days wondering why so much church money was spent overseas when there were more "lost" souls than could ever possibly be "found" right in our own community...

As noted earlier via my response at spot #11.
    The shortcomings within our species exist. Can't alter that.

What I do know is I've met both mission vacationers and folks forever changed via their mission work, whether in city, in state, in country or out of country.

Fortunately, at least in my opinion, I've met far more of the latter.

Sounds like fuzzy and HVAC would be referred to pharisee's in biblical terms

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Sounds like fuzzy and HVAC would be referred to pharisee's in biblical terms
    Why? Saying what was personally witnessed merits an off-handed insult?

Nobody said ALL people on mission trips do this, but I did point out that there are more lost souls right here in OKC than any church could ever "save", yet they spend money on airline tickets for overseas trips. I can understand mission trips to our gulf coast after a hurricane, but these exotic locations known for legal prostitution does cause reasonable people to ask why.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoad View Post
    Last time I was in Subic Bay, PI, the biggest brothel that catered to people looking for underage prostitutes was funded by a "Missionary" group out of Oklahoma working under the Preda Foundation...

This was in 1992-1994..

I have very little faith in the works of *any* religious "missionary" trips funded by organized religion churches..
    By that logic, should we consider all military personnel frauds because of the marine who falsely claimed to be a wounded vet for his own gain?

Thread Information