Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese--not buffet?

Default Chinese--not buffet?

Anyone have any suggestions for finding a Chinese restaurant that is not a buffet, not a fast-food place, and while I'm "dreaming": has great food, lunch specials for under $8 [not including drink] that do include either an egg roll or cup of soup, and maybe, dare I hope, has clean tablecloths??? We've found these places in other cities, and there used to be such a place eons ago on N. MacArthur, right south of NW Expressway.

Suggestions would be really appreciated.

Default Re: Chinese--not buffet?

There used to be a great one on May Ave between 122nd and Hefner in a shopping center.. I can't remember the name of the shopping center. The food was AWESOME and it wasn't a buffet. Thats the only one I can think of, too bad its not there anymore..

3. Default Re: Chinese--not buffet?

The very first place that pops into my mind is Fung's. They used to have a buffet in the old location (and it was great, too) but the new one on Classen doesn't have the space. The lunch specials aren't expensive and include both an egg roll and a cup of soup, your choice of hot and sour or eggdrop. I love their pepper steak. It's always been clean since I've been there, in both locations.
    Still corrupting young minds

diggyba I believe you are referring to the Chinese place that used to be where the Inca Trail Peruvian restaurant is now. I don't recall pricing but Dot Wo in the 3000-3100 Blk N. Portland is pretty good.

5. Default Re: Chinese--not buffet?

We have been going to a restaurant called Tai Pei located at NW 50th and MacArthur. The food is great, the service fast, and you can get the lunch menu at night if you want. The servings are generous, and the food is always hot and delicious.

6. Default Re: Chinese--not buffet?

You are thinking of Hunan. They used to be at Casady Square and moved to their N May location.

Thank you for the suggestions. Gives us options! I do appreciate the info!

Chow's at 30th and May??

I like Canton on MacArthur and about N.W. 30th. It is one of the oldest Chinese restaurants in the Oklahoma City area. The Tse family that owns it came from Hong Kong. It is not the fanciest place in town, no white table cloths, but it has good eggrolls and the best chicken chow mein I have tried in Oklahoma City. The egg drop soup is really egg drop soup and not the gooey stuff you see in other local Chinese restaurants. It has a really good flavor. The lunch prices are really low. Basic, inexpensive Cantonese food, no buffet.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    diggyba I believe you are referring to the Chinese place that used to be where the Inca Trail Peruvian restaurant is now. I don't recall pricing but Dot Wo in the 3000-3100 Blk N. Portland is pretty good.
    There is also a Dot Wo in Edmond on the SE corner of 33rd and Broadway, tucked near the far east end of the strip center where the Homeland and TJ Maxx are. There is a Burger King and Chick Fil-A in front of the center. The food here is outstanding.

I've also been to Chow's at approx 30th and May - also outstanding, but we went with a native Chinaman, who ordered "off menu," so we were treated to some really fabulous dishes.

Sadly, it seems like many of the places are going the buffet route these days.

I know a lot of people are big on Grand House still (26th and Classen), but the past few times I've been there, I've been terribly underwhelmed.

Grand House, also that Taipei place on NW 48th and MacArthur is a real steal for the money and no mystery meat.

Grand House and Dot Wo!

Thank you all for the ideas. These give us multiple options--and not just the same old, same old buffets!

I highly recommend Fung's Kitchen on 33rd and Classen. The lunch specials are good, but if you're feeling adventurous, you should ask for the Chinese menu.

There's a place on the south side of NW 23rd that's fast food but not a buffet, either. Egg Roll King between 7-11 and Church's between Portland and I-44. Don't let the appearance deter you; the food is tasty.

Been a year but I would recommend you give Fortune on 122nd and Rockwell a shot...bring out your soup then egg roll then entree....pretty good egg drop and eggrolls

We went to Fung's today for lunch. Hubby really loved the food; I liked the ambiance--the restaurant was very clean. Service was good; food was hot [temperature]. Will probably go back, but I will order something different. The portions are HUGE! Lots of food for the price.

You might try Golden Phoenix at 2728 N Classen Blvd. We ate there today and it was delicious! The menu is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    We went to Fung's today for lunch. Hubby really loved the food; I liked the ambiance--the restaurant was very clean. Service was good; food was hot [temperature]. Will probably go back, but I will order something different. The portions are HUGE! Lots of food for the price.
    Glad to hear you and your husband enjoyed Fungs! If you didn't order off the Asian menu I recommend that you do so. The foods are way different from the Americanized food most Chinese restaurants serve. Also, their BBQ pork is excellent and I'm told the roast duck is as well (I'm not a fan of duck....too fatty for me). My favorite dishes are the spicy triple delight, which is seafood in a sweet and spicy sauce, and pineapple ginger chicken which is chicken and pineapple chunks with pickled ginger (think sushi) in a sweet and tangy sauce. The crab and fish maw soup is fantastic as well and I'll say I've never had a bad experience at Fungs.

The group of Chinese girls who introduced me to Fungs told me that Chow's is even better but I've never tried it. It's on May somewhere north of 23rd but has been closed the times I went there.

Great suggestions. Thanks to all of you.

21. Default Re: Chinese--not buffet?

There is one in Del City on 29th. North side of the street just east of Sunnylane. You will be able to easily see the building with green roof. They have been there for so many years and it is very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    There is one in Del City on 29th. North side of the street just east of Sunnylane. You will be able to easily see the building with green roof. They have been there for so many years and it is very popular.
    Used to go there ages ago when I worked in Del City! Didn't realize it was still there and still open. They used to have the best garlic-frittered chicken! But now my stomach would tell me that would be "off-limits"! Getting old does limit one's food choices! If I recall correctly, they had really great egg rolls. Have you eaten there recently?

23. Default Re: Chinese--not buffet?

I still eat there quite often. I don't eat egg rolls, but mom love theirs. My favorite is the Hawaiian Chicken with rice, of course, this is the only meal I eat there. Rice is free with it. If you order at least 2 platter meals, then the rice is in a bigger silver bowl. Mom loves their #15 Egg Cantonese.

Lido, just east of Classen, off NW 25th. Great lunch specials, the best sesame chicken in town, egg drop soup is just right, love their fried spring rolls (and just about everything I've tried there, which is A LOT).

Have to agree with the suggestions for Fung's and Golden Phoenix. We have been regular customers of Fung's for several years and have rarely been disappointed. Have recently been to Golden Phoenix several times as well, and have been impressed with the meal every time.

Thread Information