Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock the Vote today!

Default Rock the Vote today!

Don't forget to vote if you live in these areas.

Polls will open at 7 a.m. for today's elections

Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. today for metro area voters to decide on various city races, sales tax issues and school bond initiatives.
    School bond issues are on the ballot in the Harrah, Mustang, Piedmont and Western Heights school districts, while school board races are up for vote in Kingfisher and Earlsboro.

Town trustee and city council races include: Ward 5 in Oklahoma City; Ward 3 in The Village; Ward 2 in Spencer; Ward 3 in Harrah; Ward 2 in Jones; Ward 1 in Bethel Acres; Ward 1 in McLoud; and Office 5 in Forest Park.

Voters in Harrah will also choose a mayor, while residents in Jones will vote for three trustees.

The town of Pink has a permanent 3-cent tax on the ballot. The tax would be used for town operation and improvements.

2. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

How did you forget the Edmond mayoral election?

Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

I didn't forget it, this is an article from the Daily Oklahoman. (enough said)

4. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

How did they forget it? It's a pretty heated race, and includes disgraced former State Rep. Wayne Pettigrew.

5. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

As well as an Edmond Ward 1 rematch between incumbent Wayne Page and challenger LeRoy Cartwright (who's minions were out knocking down signs at 5:00 this morning) and a Ward 2 battle between Elizabeth Waner and Mark Hoose. Funfunfun!!!

6. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

Unfortunately I keep forgetting to change my registration back to Edmond.

7. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

That's OK, just make your check payable to "Page4Council" or "Citizens of Edmond PAC". Or just PM me and I'll come pick up cash!

8. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

I just can't wait for the GOP primary...

Giuliani: Check.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I just can't wait for the GOP primary...

Giuliani: Check.
    Crook: Check.

10. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

Oh, you should have said so.

Christian Conservatism: Check.

Puking: Check.

11. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Don't forget to vote if you live in these areas.

Polls will open at 7 a.m. for today's elections

Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. today for metro area voters to decide on various city races, sales tax issues and school bond initiatives.
    School bond issues are on the ballot in the Harrah, Mustang, Piedmont and Western Heights school districts, while school board races are up for vote in Kingfisher and Earlsboro.

Town trustee and city council races include: Ward 5 in Oklahoma City; Ward 3 in The Village; Ward 2 in Spencer; Ward 3 in Harrah; Ward 2 in Jones; Ward 1 in Bethel Acres; Ward 1 in McLoud; and Office 5 in Forest Park.

Voters in Harrah will also choose a mayor, while residents in Jones will vote for three trustees.

The town of Pink has a permanent 3-cent tax on the ballot. The tax would be used for town operation and improvements.
    If the tax issue in Pink is approved, I wonder what they will do with that extra one dollar per year.

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    If the tax issue in Pink is approved, I wonder what they will do with that extra one dollar per year.
    Good one mranderson

Upset:

Newcomer Brian Walters has upended favorite George T. Washington for the Oklahoma City Ward 5 seat vacated by Jerry Foshee. Walters defeated Washingon in today's runoff by a 2,001-1,790 count.

-soonerdave

14. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Upset:

Newcomer Brian Walters has upended favorite George T. Washington for the Oklahoma City Ward 5 seat vacated by Jerry Foshee. Walters defeated Washingon in today's runoff by a 2,001-1,790 count.

-soonerdave
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That prooves my point that ward five does not like Jerry Foshee.

mranderson you've proven yourself to be wrong once again. Not all of Ward dislikes Jerry Foshee,unless of course your all of Ward 5. Hey I've got a great idea why don't you run against Jerry in the next Senate race. Didn't I read somewhere that you had planned to challenge him for his Council seat but something kept you from it? I cant recall what your excuse was, nows your chance to step up and take him out once and for all. Just curious, did Jerry beat you up when you were kids?

Newcomer takes Ward 5 seat

By John Estus
    Staff Writer

South Oklahoma City voters picked a spirited newcomer Tuesday over a City Hall veteran to be their next city councilman.
    Brian Walters, 31, an optical outlet operator, narrowly defeated former Ward 5 Planning Commissioner George Washington.

"Government is supposed to be of the people, by the people and for the people, and I'm just one of the people,” Walters said. "I just want to be the same guy that I was before.”

Walters had 2,001 votes, or 52.8 percent, to Washington's 1,790 votes, or 47.2 percent.

The win shocked political observers who thought Washington would easily succeed his friend and former Ward 5 Councilman Jerry Foshee.

Washington lost despite an endorsement from Foshee — who didn't draw an opponent in his 14 years on the Council — and a sizeable lead in campaign donations.

"I want to wish Brian the best of luck and I hope that south Oklahoma City will continue the growth that it's accustomed to,” Washington said.

Walters championed himself as a voice of the people instead of a business-as-usual politician during the campaign, while Washington used his experience on the planning commission and high-profile endorsements to woo voters.

Walters said he has a steep learning curve ahead.

"This is new to me. I'm not a politician,” he said

Last month, Washington was just 12 votes shy of winning the seat without a runoff.

"I've never seen anything like this. He goes from 12 votes to getting beat,” said Ron Black, a political analyst and Washington campaign supporter. "It was surprising.”

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Good one mranderson

Yeah, I gotta give that one to mranderson. pretty funny. how could the Oklahoman cover the town of "Pink" in metro area elections when its not even in the metro, yet they forget Edmond??? I knew I don't subscribe for a reason.

18. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

The watch party fog is lifting, and the results are as follows; Mayor-Dan O'Neil, Ward 1 City Council-Wayne Page and Ward 2 Council-Elizabeth Waner. By all accounts the negative campaign tactics really hurt Pettigrew, Cartwright and Hoose. Nothing against them as individuals, but I really think people are sick and tired of mudslinging!

19. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

Are those 3 all the anti-development ones? I know O'Neil is.

A win for us 30 somethings!!...Time for us to start doing all this grown up stuff like politics, benefitting society, being responsible etc...

All those non - fun things

Congrats Brian...Way to take down tha man

Would be funny being a fly on the wall in the Washington house when the results came in

21. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    mranderson you've proven yourself to be wrong once again. Not all of Ward dislikes Jerry Foshee,unless of course your all of Ward 5. Hey I've got a great idea why don't you run against Jerry in the next Senate race. Didn't I read somewhere that you had planned to challenge him for his Council seat but something kept you from it? I cant recall what your excuse was, nows your chance to step up and take him out once and for all. Just curious, did Jerry beat you up when you were kids?
    When a person lives in a different district it is illegal to run. So, I think I will pass on your suggestion. Plus. I am not "wrong." Nor am I incorrect. I lived in ward five many years and know the area a lot better than most. Trust me. Like it or not, I am quite correct. Very few people like Jerry Foshee, and they proved it last night. If they liked the guy, they would have elected his puppet, George Washington.

By the way. The ONLY reason I did not run against round boy is because I want a MAPS III and the increase in the hotel/motel tax was being planned. Plus, MAPS for kids is not paid yet. The time was not right. I took many polls and found I could have beaten him by a landslide.

I only met Foshee once. And he lied like a dog when we did meet. He is several years older than me and was not raised in my neighborhood. So, you do the math on your rediculous thought of his pugilistic talent... IF he had any.

You may choose not to believe me, and that is your right. However, you are not me, you do not have my mind, therefore you can not read my mind. So, please keep your accusations against me to yourself. Thank you.

22. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Yeah, I gotta give that one to mranderson. pretty funny. how could the Oklahoman cover the town of "Pink" in metro area elections when its not even in the metro, yet they forget Edmond??? I knew I don't subscribe for a reason.
    Actually, I believe Pink IS in the metro area. It is near Shawnee, in fact, I think slightly west, which places it metro.

23. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    Actually, I believe Pink IS in the metro area. It is near Shawnee, in fact, I think slightly west, which places it metro.
    But the argument still stands. Pink (pop. 1,165) gets mentioned and Edmond does not???

24. Default Re: Rock the Vote today!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Are those 3 all the anti-development ones? I know O'Neil is.
    GRRRR! OK, let me explain this one more time. Dan, Wayne and Elizabeth are not "anti-development". They are "anti-stupid development". The natural order dictates that developers must try to build as cheap as possible and sell as high as possible. That's just business. Community activists and public servants must ensure that the developers adhere to community standards and force them to build quality projects. That's their job. The balance must exist, or very bad things happen. These three have spent years struggling to ensure that citizens voices are give the same respect as the developers. Sorry 'bout the grrrr, the opposition has spent a fortune trying to convince our voters that these candidates will cause the destruction of Edmond and it just ain't so!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    GRRRR! OK, let me explain this one more time. Dan, Wayne and Elizabeth are not "anti-development". They are "anti-stupid development". The natural order dictates that developers must try to build as cheap as possible and sell as high as possible. That's just business. Community activists and public servants must ensure that the developers adhere to community standards and force them to build quality projects. That's their job. The balance must exist, or very bad things happen. These three have spent years struggling to ensure that citizens voices are give the same respect as the developers. Sorry 'bout the grrrr, the opposition has spent a fortune trying to convince our voters that these candidates will cause the destruction of Edmond and it just ain't so!
    EXACTLY!

Thread Information