Widgets Magazine

Thread: WKY is changing formats....but to what????

Default WKY is changing formats....but to what????

Big news today..... WKY 930 AM is changing formats but to what..

Someone I worked with got a call on her phone telling her that something was going to blow up in Edmond and something about Rick Mitchell or something it was hard to understand.... Did anyone else get this call.. I know I took a few calls from people here in our fine city that got the same call...

Default Re: WKY is changing formats....but to what????

It's going to be the Sports Animal's AM home... the spanish station moves to 640. Still no decent local talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    It's going to be the Sports Animal's AM home... the spanish station moves to 640. Still no decent local talk.
    I was hoping that they would be bring SUPERTALK 930 but i guess not

I am not quite sure what the point of this is. Is it for better reception or what? I currently drive to Ada (about 90 miles southeast of OKC) two to three times a week and listen to the AM 640 often and getting pretty good reception down there. I remember when they only had the AM station and I could listen almost all the way to the Texas border towards Dallas.
    Also, does any one know why the call letters of WWLS radio start with W and not K. I know WKY is one of the oldest stations in the country and started before the FCC required stations west of the Mississippi to start with K but I don't think WWLS is that old.

Quote Originally Posted by oSutrooper View Post
    I was hoping that they would be bring SUPERTALK 930 but i guess not
    Local talk is too expensive apparently.

It's all a business decision... apparently sports talk and the inane musings of Al Esbach pull more ratings than the generally intelligent things you'd hear from Mark Shannon or Ron Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    ... the generally intelligent things you'd hear from Mark Shannon or Ron Black.
    Whaaaaaaaaaaa???

7. Default Re: WKY is changing formats....but to what????

WWLS is that old: it began as WNAD in 1922. All Oklahoma stations had W calls before the "Mississippi River" rule went into effect in early 1923. There is one other W station in the state: WBBZ Ponca City.

I do not know why WWLS would move from AM 640 because it is one of the most powerful stations in the state. I know I can pick it up all over the state when I am making my rounds for work.

This is what Mark Shannon had posted on his website:

A little inside media stuff which won't bring any substantial changes in Oklahoma City radio.

Citadel (owner KATT KISS BOB SPORTS ANIMAL) has placed two of their properties "in trust" in order to comply with FCC rulings that called for Citadel to sell off some properties in order for them to purchase ABC radio.

WILD-FM (104.9) and LA INDOMABLE (low-power FM broadcasting Mexican music,) are now in that trust until they are sold off. They've been on sale for months, but according to people I've talked to, at a price they're not likely to get anyone to pay.

As a result of this move, LA INDOMABLE and the former WKY have split simulcasting programming and WKY will now go to some type of syndicated programming, likely national sports.

My guess is WWLS will most likely move most of ESPN radio over to WKY until the sale clears the FCC. I say that because Clear Channel has Fox Sports Radio on 1340. KTOK and KOMA corner the market on talk radio.

I miss the KTOK talk radio of the 1980s and 1990s. I liked that they had shows that covered everything from local events to the paranormal... not just politics.

What was the name of the lady that had a show for years and years on KTOK in the mid-morning hours? She had a variety show somewhat like Oprah's format. I always found her interesting to listen to.

are you talking about carol arnold?

-M

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    I miss the KTOK talk radio of the 1980s and 1990s. I liked that they had shows that covered everything from local events to the paranormal... not just politics.

If your a night owl you might like Coast to Coast AM. It is on from 12am to 5am every night on KTOK. They talk about the paranormal, UFO encounters, conspiracy theories and current events. I personally like the weekday shows better because George Noory hosts on those nights.

COAST TO COAST AM WITH GEORGE NOORY

SuperScooper, I didn't mean to imply I was looking for a paranormal show, I've heard of Art Bell before, I was just saying it was cool that KTOK used to have a zillion local radio personalities that talked about all kinds of different things from an OKC standpoint, not just politics.

Thanks mmm, I believe I was referring to Carol Arnold.

Thread Information