Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Depot to get shops

1. Default Depot to get shops

From newsok.com:

Freight docks to be converted into shops

Freight docks attached to the Santa Fe Train Station are being converted into retail shops, and the first tenant, Cingular Wireless, is expected to open by March.
    The train station was renovated four years ago by veteran Bricktown developer Jim Brewer and his sons Brent and Brett. Since then, the station has been used by both passengers of the Amtrak Heartland Flyer and rented for special events.

The freight docks, until now, have been used for storage.

Brent Brewer said talks are underway with two other retailers. Designs by Richard Brown Associates show six dock openings will be converted into store fronts, with a new balcony and entry to be built facing the parking lot.

Brewer said the parking will be made available for customers during the day time, and will continue to be used for special events at night.

I like this idea a lot, although I wish it was more upscale stores than a wireless company.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Default Re: Depot to get shops

That's cool.

3. Default Re: Depot to get shops

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84
    From newsok.com:

Freight docks attached to the Santa Fe Train Station are being converted into retail shops, and the first tenant, Cingular Wireless, is expected to open by March.
    The train station was renovated four years ago by veteran Bricktown developer Jim Brewer and his sons Brent and Brett. Since then, the station has been used by both passengers of the Amtrak Heartland Flyer and rented for special events.

Brent Brewer said talks are underway with two other retailers. Designs by Richard Brown Associates show six dock openings will be converted into store fronts, with a new balcony and entry to be built facing the parking lot.

Brewer said the parking will be made available for customers during the day time, and will continue to be used for special events at night.

I like this idea a lot, although I wish it was more upscale stores than a wireless company.
    Did Mr. Brewer ever complete his renovation of the station? Last time I looked (probably a year or so ago) it was pretty much undone. If he has restored it, that would be great news.

This is great news of an innovative way of using an existing structure.

I've always thought that the docks being used as storefronts would be a great idea. Hopefully we can get a nice little cafe to open up there with patio seating. I think it'd be neat if one of the flower wholesalers set up a little outdoor flower cart in that area, too.

I am having a hard time picturing where this is. Does it face E.K. Gaylord or what? Seems like that is between Sheridan and Reno facing West?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by plmccordj
    I am having a hard time picturing where this is. Does it face E.K. Gaylord or what? Seems like that is between Sheridan and Reno facing West?

Paul
    You're right on. The stalls are located just south of the actual depot building, right up against the elevated tracks.

8. Default Re: Depot to get shops

Does someone have a picture?

9. Default Re: Depot to get shops

I couldn't find any pictures that show the docks. They all seem to be taken from the other end.

Here you can barely see them at the far right.

Don't Edmond My Downtown

10. Default Re: Depot to get shops

From newsok.com:

No, I think this is a GREAT START. You got to get mainstream retail before you get upscale boutiques.

Besides, Every major city has a Cingular Wireless store in its downtown. And on my last visit, it was more than apparent to us that downtown OKC is lacking of even "basic" retail like this.

Personally, I think basic retail is local shoppes, 7-11's, and such. I place Cingular into specialty retail since they offer a high end product and service, analogous to a Versace store (one being single line specialty electronics the other being single line clothing and apparel - albeit absolutely upscale).

Like I said, every big city has a Cingular Wireless store in their downtown, OKC was probably the biggest city in the nation without one.

Once again, JOIN THE CLUB!

It will continue to get better from here!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I don't have anything against a Cingular wireless or any mainstream retailer, really. But, as I stated in the Abraham's thread, I think it's the things that are different, the things you can't find in every downtown or every suburb, that will make downtown grow and eventaully be its strength. I think downtown has enough things that you can find everywhere else in the city. I don't go downtown to do errands and I'm not really interested in doing so.

I think the good thing about this is that it is a "safe" tenant that will motivate the developer to continue developing the docks and mitigate some risk on some unique businesses that will scite and motivate people to visit downtown.

Obviously, once there is a critical mass of people living there, everyday services will naturally move in.

I think two great businesses in the dock space, especially with the expanded patio area, would be a Starbucks and (local chain)Camille's Sidewalk Cafe

13. Smile Re: Depot to get shops

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    I think downtown has enough things that you can find everywhere else in the city. I don't go downtown to do errands and I'm not really interested in doing so.
    BDP,

You may not go downtown for errands but that should not preclude others from doing so.

In fact, is there a Cingular Wireless inside the Inner Loop freeway system of OKC? I dont think so. And to me, that is why we need it downtown.

Not everyone likes going out to the suburbs for, everything. Hopefully, OKC will continue to add things inside the inner loop and I think downtown should remain the focus of inner city development!

Hopefully you will decide to run errands downtown once the business becomes more significant - that will add to the critical mass of downtown and will help make downtown alive 24/7 - which is what we all want!

14. Default Re: Depot to get shops

I was thinking the same thing John about Starbucks and Camille's. Also I brought this up on the the UrbanPlanet forum and someone else mentioned Starbucks.

HOT ROD, I think you're probably right. Cingular Wireless is a good start. I think there probably is a Cingular inside the inner loop somewhere on 23rd around Penn or May, but that would be the closest. I'm excited to see what else goes in there.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

15. Default Re: Depot to get shops

I thought Starbucks already announced a Bricktown location (among other downtown locale's) and that OKC is their largest city for expansion now.

16. Default Re: Depot to get shops

I didn't hear that. What do you mean largest city for expansion?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Patrick Guest

To answer Doug's question.....

The depot building itself was renovated. The exterior was renovated. Compare the pic posted above to the existing appearance. Brewer cleaned up the building. Also, he completely restored the interior. Before, the building was basically boarded up and deteriorating.

In fact, is there a Cingular Wireless inside the Inner Loop freeway system of OKC?
    23rd st.

Belle Isle, just outside the loop.

I live inside the loop and have for awhile. The best part about it is that it's not wall-to-wall chains.

19. Default Re: Depot to get shops

I never said wall to wall chains was good or warranted.

I said, mainstream retail in the inner city (downtown in particular) is warranted!

20. Question Re: Depot to get shops

I didn't hear that. What do you mean largest city for expansion?
    Do I really have to define this or are you being facetious?

21. Default Re: Depot to get shops

No I'm not being facetious. It wasn't a very clear statement. Do you mean the largest city they are still expanding in? I really don't know. I don't need a definition of largest or expansion, but I'm unclear on what that means.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

They're opening (or planning to open) more new Starbucks in OKC than in any other city, currently.

23. Default Re: Depot to get shops

No I'm not being facetious. It wasn't a very clear statement. Do you mean the largest city they are still expanding in? I really don't know. I don't need a definition of largest or expansion, but I'm unclear on what that means.

correct.

24. Default Re: Depot to get shops

See, what John says is not the same thing. Thank you for clarifying.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Good news, after years of not seeing/hearing anything more on this, I drove by tonight with my wife and we noticed that the old freight docks/windows were being replacing by the framing for new ones. The glass wasn't in place but the stainless steel frames for windows were going in. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction into finally getting the promised retail in here!

Thread Information