Widgets Magazine

Thread: boycott The Karate Kid

Default boycott The Karate Kid

if you loathe the new Kung Fu Kid, ..err, "The Karate Kid" remake, and plan to boycott seeing it during this opening weekend, or at all for that matter then sign this roster as I have and/or feel free to voice your disgust at it.

5 reasons why it will suck:

1. director sucks. harald zwart is at the directing helm and has spun out anything worthy of seeing as of yet. Harald Zwart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. bill conti score is absent and the overall soundtrack is sure to suck as well.

3. jaden smith doesnt have the acting experience to portray a character based off of well-known and admired 80s film saga.

4. screenplay writer sucks. christopher murphy. sure wikipedia lists robert mark kamen as being the one who developed the story and he is also written for the original story as well, but the screenplay itself is being delivered by someone who has no experience under their belt.

5. producers suck. listed are jaden smith's parents. (no im not making this up..heres the wiki link for proof) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Karate_Kid_(2010_film)

Default Re: boycott The Karate Kid

So you are having a roster for a boycott just on the basis that you think certain aspects "suck" in your opinion? I'm sorry, I'm going to need more of a reason to boycott then that.

3. Default Re: boycott The Karate Kid

I just wasn't going to see it because from seeing the ads it clearly looks like a waste of time. I suspect that will be the overall response. But if organizing a boycott makes you feel like you're making a difference in this world, go for it.

4. Default Re: boycott The Karate Kid

Well just about everything about the movie is WRONG. I mean how can you be the Karate Kid and be like 8 years old? Part of the story was about the kid being a 15 year old and getting confidence and dating, etc.

Jackie Chan is no Mr. Miagi either sorry. They picked the wrong actors...and really shouldn't have done this movie at all...it's just stupid.

If Jackie Chan says, "Wax on, wax off", i think i'll scream.

I can't bring myself to watch this movie. I even try to avoid the trailers when they come on. I'm not necessarily opposed to a reboot of the franchise, but I think that this particular attempt is made of epic fail. Jaden Smith & Jackie Chan have been all over tv the last few weeks "hosting" movie marathons & such. From what I've seen so far...Jaden Smith has zero personality. Not saying that to slam the kid, but there just seems to be a serious lack of charisma. As far as Jackie Chan goes, he's just a joke. He's like a caricature, and in some ways makes me think of the way Asians used to be portrayed in film by whites.

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    So you are having a roster for a boycott just on the basis that you think certain aspects "suck" in your opinion? I'm sorry, I'm going to need more of a reason to boycott then that.
    Um, I believe I gave 5 reasons. but anyways, fine. go see the movie, then come back here and lament that you wish you boycotted it.

I usually dont like remakes.
    But since I'm not a writer, director, or a producer or an actor I cant see where it gets me to lament on how others dont have the "experience under their belt", to be a critic of others.
    Now I have to admit seeing some just plain awful movies in my long life.
    But, if it gives some goal in a person to call for a boycott in such a trivial subject when we have real problems...go for it.

for those of you concerned about it, here is a new movie from Ralph Macchio for you.

Ralph Macchio stars in 'Wax On, F*ck Off' | EW.com

For me, the fact that they called this "The Karate Kid" is enough of a reason to boycott the movie. Jackie Chan's character (Chinese) teaches Kung-Fu (also Chinese in origin, and definitely not the same thing as karate), yet the producers see fit to still call this The Karate Kid? As someone who is half Okinawan (for those who don't know, Okinawa is the Japanese island that is the birthplace of karate), I find this to be very insulting to both my background and my intelligence.

I will not see it and I gladly support the boycott. However, many of my douchebag friends are all worked up into a frenzy to see this crap. Not to mention the "money" it will make from black audiences (teenagers) in general who want to see a black kid kick an asian kid's ass. I'm not making this up. I teach and several of my students have said this. Of course they will probably just sneak into the movie and not pay. Ugh. Such crap.

11. Default Re: boycott The Karate Kid

I have no interest in seeing this movie at all. For one, I am sick and tired of Hollywood's constant remakes/reimaginings/blatant cash-grabs.

For two, this movie has nothing to do with karate, which I find wrong in so many ways. What was the point of calling it The KARATE Kid if it's about kung-fu? Obviously, stupid Americans don't know the difference between Japan and China anyway! Can you say "insulting"? They're just using the name recognition of "The Karate Kid" so they can make a quick buck on 80s nostalgia.

Come on Hollywood; you gotta do better than this.

Sign me up for a pass. I think I will go watch The A Team instead.

13. Default Re: boycott The Karate Kid

I'm not going simply because I seriously doubt I'm the target market (40 year old male with no children in the house).

Personally, though if I had younger kids (10-15) and wanted a movie to take them to some weekend afternoon I'd probably consider it after checking with the KindsInMind website (something we always did when ours was younger.

Thread Information