Widgets Magazine

Thread: The continual division of topics

Default The continual division of topics

Pete,

I love everything you do for OKC and this board is an incredible contribution. I have constructive criticism in one area. I just don't understand the continual creation of new topics. Every time you do this you make more work for readers to find topics of interest. The most recent example is the "Other Development Discussion." There are basically 2 threads of interest for me in this topic - Automobile Alley and Plaza District. It's not worth the time to search out these threads. I just think you continue to make it MORE DIFFICULT for readers to get information. Some of these topics really get updated and don't need to be separated from other threads. It is obvious that you are a very organized person, but in this case I think you are over-organizing the thread. Thanks for everything you do. Best.

KT

Default Re: The continual division of topics

Hate to be that guy and be continually negative. But this is just too big of a change for me, so many threads and topics now. I don't even know where to start looking for any of the threads I liked to keep up with.

This is a work in progress. As of now, there is one additional forum and it exists for very good reasons that would take me forever to explain. There may be more added or some subtracted; I'm going through a bunch of experimentation.

Keep in mind that over the last couple of years I have reduced the number of forums from FORTY SEVEN to SIXTEEN plus seven sub-forums for suburbs. You probably don't remember that I had reduced them even further at one time and many people complained, so I put a bunch back.

The changes will make it much, much easier to find subjects of interest. It's just going to take a little time.

4. Default Re: The continual division of topics

I will make a counter complaint. I think it's a horrible, horrible idea to have a massive running thread for one entire district like Midtown or Plaza. Each project is separate, needs its own thread. I strongly dislike having to keep track of discussion in all of these threads or risk missing out on news of a cool project.

I don't see what is so hard about checking for new threads in the urban development sub forum. I get the impression that those who like the old way are people who maintain a long list of internet bookmarks and frequently check those, and dislike it when their bookmark can't take them to the exact information they want.

However, the new system of threads for separate projects and a searchable wiki database for development will make OKC Talk the go-to place for people doing research on OKC. I think the way Pete is redesigning the website is absolutely incredible, and shows a strong vision for creating a resource that will be tremendously valuable for us prognosticators, site locators, developers, city leaders, and anyone else interested in OKC..

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I will make a counter complaint. I think it's a horrible, horrible idea to have a massive running thread for one entire district like Midtown or Plaza. Each project is separate, needs its own thread. I strongly dislike having to keep track of discussion in all of these threads or risk missing out on news of a cool project.

I don't see what is so hard about checking for new threads in the urban development sub forum. I get the impression that those who like the old way are people who maintain a long list of internet bookmarks and frequently check those, and dislike it when their bookmark can't take them to the exact information they want.

However, the new system of threads for separate projects and a searchable wiki database for development will make OKC Talk the go-to place for people doing research on OKC. I think the way Pete is redesigning the website is absolutely incredible, and shows a strong vision for creating a resource that will be tremendously valuable for us prognosticators, site locators, developers, city leaders, and anyone else interested in OKC..
    I agree on your first point. I think it is okay to have more threads for individual projects. I just don't see the good in having one for every significant building or project. And it's entirely possible I don't "see" exactly what Pete is doing yet. That is fine. Pete I don't want you to think I don't support you, I just don't see exactly what your vision is with the threads for each building and all that. So forgive me if it seems that way.

I like it! It allows us to discuss the positives and negatives of all projects, so hopefully people will learn from them and notice them in the future.

How about a Topic Czar?

MadMonk Guest

The "New Posts" link is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheetkeecker View Post
    How about a Topic Czar?
    Nah. I think jus' call him Pete, same as before.

Like the new Pic and summary info of the building threads! There does seem to be some sort of glitch. On the "main" page where a thread is listed it may show 5 pages in the thread. You click on it and it indeed takes you to page 5 but then shows that there may be many many many more pages that follow???

Thanks for your response, Pete. I've given my opinion. Thanks for hearming me out. I respect whatever decision you make because you're the one putting in the time.

Kilgore and Catch22, I really do appreciate the feedback. I'm doing all this in an attempt to make the site better for all.

And I understand and respect that people have become attached to the site, which is a good thing.

I'll try to keep the changes manageable. My struggle is that I have to do this sort of work when I can make the time, and I tend to have a big backlog that I try to sled through as quickly as possible. I realize that causes disruption and I apologize for that.

However, have a steered you guys wrong yet?? I ask that you trust me and hang in there... In the very near future I think you are going to really like what is possible with the new features.

Default oh its great

Oh, that's Great Sir !!

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Pete,

I love everything you do for OKC and this board is an incredible contribution. I have constructive criticism in one area. I just don't understand the continual creation of new topics. Every time you do this you make more work for readers to find topics of interest. The most recent example is the "Other Development Discussion." There are basically 2 threads of interest for me in this topic - Automobile Alley and Plaza District. It's not worth the time to search out these threads. I just think you continue to make it MORE DIFFICULT for readers to get information. Some of these topics really get updated and don't need to be separated from other threads. It is obvious that you are a very organized person, but in this case I think you are over-organizing the thread. Thanks for everything you do. Best.

KT
    I agree, while I like the new post window on the right, there are too many topic divided, makes its confusing to find a thread, the way you had it laid out about a month ago with "Urban Core" etc... was probably the best layout, less is more.

Two complaints with the new layout, if this is the way it's going to be from here on out: 1. The schematics are pinned to the top of every single page of discussion. 2. When I click on the most recent page of a thread from the main page, it's not really the most recent page.

Working on the last / most recent page problem. It's only happening on the Urban Buildings forum.

But I never use the last page function anyway... If you click on the little blue icon to the left of any thread it will take you to the first post since the last time you read that particular thread (first new post):

The last page issue should be fixed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The last page issue should be fixed now.
    Thanks. And I didn't know about the blue button, after all these years.

Yeah, it's kind of a little-used function and I find it one of the best things about vBulletin.

If you use it, that little link will take you to the first of any posts made since you last read the thread. Pretty slick! Don't have to go to the last page and scroll around trying to find where you last left off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of a little-used function and I find it one of the best things about vBulletin.
    Pete,
    "Little-used"? That's a really neat function. I don't know how I stumbled on to it, but I use it all the time. And thanks for all your efforts, I enjoy visiting this site.
    C. T.

I guess my main complaint Pete is I don't know how or where to find all the information sources I used to look at every day. I feel lost in all of the changes.

22. Default Re: The continual division of topics

Why can't you go in the urban development board and click on a thread that is named for the information you're looking for?

Because a lot of times I don't know what specific info I am looking for. I am used to clicking on every thread in the Urban Core and Suburban topics, as well as Moore, Edmond, and Norman. Also the Transportation forum.

24. Default Re: The continual division of topics

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Because a lot of times I don't know what specific info I am looking for. I am used to clicking on every thread in the Urban Core and Suburban topics, as well as Moore, Edmond, and Norman. Also the Transportation forum.
    Fair enough. For folks who prefer to "stumble upon" info on here, as far as development goes I'd just click on thread titles that pique your interest or in the near future we'll also have a run-down listing in the Wiki that will synthesize renderings and basic info and also link to the discussions. The category view will also be helpful, as you'll have a drop-down alphabetized list that divides buildings by use, by decade, and by district. Ideally...

As far as transportation and civic issues, I don't think those things will change all too much, but that's up to Pete. I'm just helping out with the Wiki articles and putting the run-down listing together--we could use more help if anyone else would like to enlist themselves.

Thread Information