Widgets Magazine

Thread: Mexican Food

Default Mexican Food

Does anyone know when the new Larados will open. They have been working on it for the longest time.

Default Re: Mexican Food

authentic mexican food doesnt exist in oklahoma. you have to travel elsewhere to get it. perhaps you were referring to tex-mex cuisine?

I have never really understood the difference between tex-mex and mexican food. I remember going to a Tex-Mex place and thought, okay, what makes this burrito any different from any other burrito?

Having spent a lot of time in Los Angeles area, I have grown to love mexican food. So I am always surprised to hear people say there is no authentic mexican food in Oklahoma. Can someone give me a clue here?

BTW, I have eaten at hole in the wall mom and pop mexican restaurants from Tijuana to east Los Angeles to Santa Fe to Oklahoma. And I still would not know a Tex Mex taco from an "unauthentic" mexican food taco.

Personally, if I go to a friend's house and they are mexican and their grandmother and mother are cooking... WOW! That is mexican food.

Others may disagree, but for me, it is authentic.

4. Default Re: Mexican Food

Hmmmm... I seem to be experiencing deja vu here..... seems like I've seen this thread before...

Quote Originally Posted by evh5150 View Post
    authentic mexican food doesnt exist in oklahoma. you have to travel elsewhere to get it. perhaps you were referring to tex-mex cuisine?
    Are you serious? Um there are plenty of authentic locations around town. Try the taco vans, Stockyards City, or go over to SW 29th or SW 44th or around Capitol Hill area. Some very authentic stuff that is NOT tex-mex.

7. Default Re: Mexican Food

Quote Originally Posted by oulefty View Post
    Does anyone know when the new Larados will open. They have been working on it for the longest time.
    I heard a couple of weeks ago that it was ready, and they were just waiting for the Fire Dept and Health dept to inspect the place. I'm not sure how long it takes to do that. It has taken way too long for this place to get up and running. Golden Corral has built and relocated in just a couple of months.They must be having problems.

All I know is that I am not as big a fan of New Mexico vs Tex-Mex. I like it spicier. But I love the California slant with fresher veggies and anytime I can get some seafood with my Mexican food, I'm happy. It always struck me as odd that with the coast line in Mexico that Tex-Mex wasn't filled with fish and shell fish. But that must be because it was regional, originally.

I live in Amarillo and we have a ton of "Mexican" restaurants over here. They're mainly Tex-Mex and then a few authentic. I'd say the main difference is that Tex-Mex is more spicy, uses flour tortillas more, and is just generally more "American" - with creations such as nachos, rellenos, fajitas. Authentic tends to use more corn tortillas and has great stuff such as mole, barbacoa, lengua (cow tongue), etc.

I prefer Tex-Mex because of the spice. I was disappointed when I'd go to Southern Mexico, central or south America for mission trips and have really bland food - it turns out the spice really comes from northern Mexico and Texas. Anyway, I look forward to finding a good Tex-Mex place next time I'm in OKC.

well there is no shortage of either, I'd also try a guatemalan place or two while you're here.

Quote Originally Posted by hagrid View Post
    BTW, I have eaten at hole in the wall mom and pop mexican restaurants from Tijuana to east Los Angeles to Santa Fe to Oklahoma. And I still would not know a Tex Mex taco from an "unauthentic" mexican food taco.
    Well, for starters - authentic tacos are soft warm corn tortillas while tex-mex are crunchy and cold. Usually you will find shredded beef or even pork in authentic tacos while tex-mex uses greasy ground beef.

12. Default Re: Mexican Food

original style? try Taqueria La Original on rockwell, just north of 10th street.

We LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    Well, for starters - authentic tacos are soft warm corn tortillas while tex-mex are crunchy and cold. Usually you will find shredded beef or even pork in authentic tacos while tex-mex uses greasy ground beef.
    Now you're making me hungry. LOL at the crunchy cold tortillas~ I thought those were a mainstay at the golden corral or such places.

I spent a few years in south east Los Angeles and have had many fine meals at small mom and pop stands.

My spanish intro was saying, "Dos tacos de carnitas." And the large green chili burros with shredded beef. OHHHH! Thanks for all the tips on where to eat in OKC.

Los Comales on S. Agnew in Stockyards is some good authentic stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Los Comales on S. Agnew in Stockyards is some good authentic stuff too.
    Haven't tried that but I hear it's a lot like Tacoville. Which made me hungry. So now I am going to Tacoville for lunch today! YUM.

the soft opening is around the corner in the next week or two...

Thread Information