Widgets Magazine

Thread: Clancy's Grill

1. Midtown Clancy's Grill

Little known mom and pop diner on the ground floor of the Physicians & Surgeons Building on NW 11th & Shartel. Owned by Clancy and his wife. I had never heard of this place until historian Bradley Wynn told me about it and we frequently have lunch there. Bradley has visited about a hundred times and has done a lot of writing for his books here. Both me and Bradley have discussed with them the five or so construction projects coming in the next few years adding about a thousand people to the surrounding street. Also discussed their need to get "out there" via Facebook and social media. There is no signage outside the Physicians & Surgeons Building but Clancy has proposed talking to Chip Fudge about a sign.

When the 10th & Shartel Apartments, Lisbon Lofts, Catholic Charities, and N Francis Apartments come into the area there will already be a fine diner before anything else is proposed for the new developments. This established diner should get everyone's support.

Clancy's Grill - Midtown - Oklahoma City | Urbanspoon

Clancy's Grill (December 10 2013) - a set on Flickr

Physicians & Surgeons Building on NW 11th & Shartel

Clancy's is on the ground floor. Just follow your nose.

Grilled Cheese

Clancy and wife

Default Re: Clancy's Grill

I've been there. Found them on Urbanspoon. Quite good stuff!

Wow thanks I live close by and had never heard of it

Huh. My kids' doctor is in that building. I've seen the "Grill" sign, but assumed it was a cafeteria for the employees of the building. I'll have to stop in next time they have a check up.

They are getting ready to have a couple thousand new neighbors!

Thanks for sharing... I had no idea they were there and it sounds like a solid place.

Neat pics Will. Thanks!

You know, that building doesn't look half bad. A nice midrise towering above the surrounding Midtown area. I don't know anything about its history, but just looking at it, you can pretty much guess that it was built in the mid to late '60s... possibly early '70s. It has that Regency/Kerr McGee era look to it. Tends toward the bland side, but it could be made more interesting with some external touches and lighting -- not that the current ownership has any interest in doing that.

That grill has such a retro look. Like a '70s era diner, from the seating to the suspended tile ceilings. Cool to see that it's alive and kicking in the modern era.

New one on me. thanks for the head's up and the pics.

When it's not so slick to walk around we will check this out.

If the food is as good as the prices, it's a winner.

-- and I apologize, but ...
    Having been up in that building looking down out a window, I saw an interesting house.
    After investigating it on Google Maps, I see it's labeled as the Grandison Inn at Maney Park.
    Can anybody provide any history of this? and would this be considered as Victorian-style architecture?

On edit: Here, let me Google that for me: The Grandison Inn, a romantic Victorian Bed and Breakfast in Oklahoma City
    Yes, it's considered Victorian. Still: Anybody have any history to add?

I am curious if once those projects you listed above fill in if they will stay open for dinner. I understand most of their business probably comes from the building and several of the surrounding businesses, but with so many apartments going up in the next couple of years, it would be silly not to stay open, at least until 8pm.

12. Default Re: Clancy's Grill

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    -- and I apologize, but ...
    Having been up in that building looking down out a window, I saw an interesting house.
    After investigating it on Google Maps, I see it's labeled as the Grandison Inn at Maney Park.
    Can anybody provide any history of this? and would this be considered as Victorian-style architecture?

On edit: Here, let me Google that for me: The Grandison Inn, a romantic Victorian Bed and Breakfast in Oklahoma City
    Yes, it's considered Victorian. Still: Anybody have any history to add?
    Yes. It was originally built in a different location (closer to downtown/south Heritage Hills IIRC) by the original owner (Mr. Maney) and later MOVED to the current place to get away from the "noise" and "bad air" (pollution) downtown. When it was moved that means the current location was considered a rural location (!!!). During the eighties and into the early nineties it was home to the offices of the Oklahoma Gazette. I stopped in a few times to pick up ad layouts when I worked in advertising for the Journal Record early 90s.

One of my clients at the time was the couple who now owns the Grandison. At the time they owned a DIFFERENT large home on 15th, immediately south of what is now the thriving Plaza District. It was ALSO known as The Grandison. They were trying to pioneer in the area with a really nice B&B, but had lots of trouble with the locale, as guests' cars were being broken into, panhandled, confronted, etc. Let's just say Classen/Ten/Penn was ESPECIALLY sketchy back then.

When the Gazette moved to their current location on NW 36th, the folks who own the B&B moved the entire operation to Maney House, and renamed it The Grandison at Maney Park. They've been there probably close to 20 years now. Folks should really go check it out; the place is beautiful. I've stayed there a couple of times myself, just for funsies. It's actually a big business travel stop for people who trade with the medical community around St. Anthony.

Also (apologize in advance for the thread creep), regarding Plaza/CTP, I think that area would now be exceptional for some B&B development. Though I would put it in some of the large houses fronting 16th between Classen and the Plaza District commercial area.

Thread Information