Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oscar favorites for Best Picture

1. Default Oscar favorites for Best Picture

I try to watch a couple of best picture nominees once they're announced. This year they're:

Finding Neverland
    The Aviator
    Sideways
    Ray
    Million Dollar Baby

I saw Sideways this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's both moving and hilarious, in a less sappier way than James L. Brooks' movies (As Good as it Gets, Terms of Endearment, Jerry Maguire). The scene where Paul Giamatti's and Virginia Madsen's characters talk about their favorite wines sneaks up on you and makes you realize you're watching something special. I'm planning on watching Million Dollar Baby this or next weekend.

Have any of you guys and gals seen any nominees, best picture or whatnot?

mistipetal Guest

Default Re: Oscar favorites for Best Picture

I usually try to watch the best picture nominees too. Some of the best actors and actresses also. I like to see if I agree with the academy. I haven't seen any of the noms yet, but I'm definitely going to. I saw the preview a few days ago for Million Dollar Baby, and thought it looked interesting. I love Clint Eastwood. That man knows how to make a movie. Unforgiven is one of my all time favorites. I've always liked Thomas Haden Church too, loved him since Wings. I won't make any decisions til I've seen them all, but I do keep hearing Sideways was wonderful. I absolutely must see that one.

Keith Guest

Since I don't watch much TV, can somebody tell me when the Oscar's are going to be on?

4. Default Re: Oscar favorites for Best Picture

My choice: I am torn between "The Aviator," and "Ray."

5. Default Re: Oscar favorites for Best Picture

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    Since I don't watch much TV, can somebody tell me when the Oscar's are going to be on?
    Keith, the awards are on February 27, 7PM Central, on KOCO.

Keith Guest

Thanks, floater

MasterWolf Guest

I havent seen any of them, but I would like to. I think 'Ray' will win an oscar.

mistipetal Guest

I still haven't seen any of them. *sigh* But I agree that Ray will probably win something. I haven't checked, but if Jamie Foxx is up for best actor, I think he's got a great shot, because I always hear how he has been amazing in the role.

9. Default Re: Oscar favorites for Best Picture

I think Jamie Foxx's got Best Actor bagged, too. Just from the commericials, his portrayal is dead on.

I saw Million Dollar Baby tonight. It's an understated movie that makes a big statement about life and will. I personally enjoyed Sideways more, but that happens when you laugh more during a film. Which one is better, I don't know; but it doesn't matter because everybody has their own idea of what is "best". Anyway, Million Dollar Baby didn't hit me the way one of my favorite Best Picture nominees, The Shawshank Redemption, did.

Thread Information