Widgets Magazine

Thread: Kings Of Leon

1. Default Kings Of Leon

Looks like Kings of Leon will be at the Ford Center October 3rd

Ford Center Oklahoma City

Default Re: Kings Of Leon

Grabbed my tix last Saturday...Haven't seen them before but I have built quite a collection of their tunes on the ipod...Right up there on my list along with Tea Leaf and My Morning Jacket

REALLY looking forward to this one and can't wait to check out the new crappers at the Ford in October

this ought to be a good show!

i wonder how they'll fill the Ford Center? that place seems way too big for them... when they played here last year, it was at the Bricktown Events Center...

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Grabbed my tix last Saturday...Haven't seen them before but I have built quite a collection of their tunes on the ipod...Right up there on my list along with Tea Leaf and My Morning Jacket

REALLY looking forward to this one and can't wait to check out the new crappers at the Ford in October
    Many of the restrooms were remodeled during last years Thunder season.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    i wonder how they'll fill the Ford Center? that place seems way too big for them... when they played here last year, it was at the Bricktown Events Center...
    I know right? Amazes me how we can bring in some big bands and they get so little support and then they come again a year or two later at a bigger venue. Reminds me of the Shiny Toy Guns and Yellowcard concert a year or so ago at the Bricktown Coca-Cola EventsCenter (sponsored by Pepsi) j/k. There was about 500 or so people there, and many free tickets were given away to that show, but they'll play in huge stadiums as well. Our music scene is fickle.

It will probably be a half stadium show like the All American Rejects had. It doesn't matter to them. Just playing the Ford Center is pretty awesome for somebody who calls this home and has been playing the small venues for years with hardly a crowd at all. Good for them. They will definitley be geared up for the show and put on a worthy performance.

Before I had heard of the Kings of Leon I was at Borders on Northwest Expressway looking at music magazines. A man who looked a lot like former Houston Oilers coach Jerry Glanville and a younger woman were looking through magazines and the man would say "There is Caleb, There is such and such." I asked the man who the guys in the magazines were and he replied "They are my sons and my nephew. They have a band named the Kings of Leon." I told them I ahd not heard of them and he said they were getting ready to go on tour with the Killers. He mentioned Elton John had spoken positively about them on television. I asked them who Leon is and he replied "That's me." "They named the band after me." I found out later that I was talking to Leon Followill the famed former pentecostal evangleist that is father to three of the four members of the band. He was living in Oklahoma City at the time. I do not know if he still lives here.

Bigray in Ok

They be good last night...Ford was packed and since it was a younger crowd everyone stood the entire concert

Club level looked good (except for the $8.50 rum and cokes) and the loge seats looked pretty cool....So far so good on the improved Ford...Was at the BOK the night before and I would say they are pretty similar as far as concerts are concerned

was that the willie and dave concert?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    They be good last night...Ford was packed and since it was a younger crowd everyone stood the entire concert

Club level looked good (except for the $8.50 rum and cokes) and the loge seats looked pretty cool....So far so good on the improved Ford...Was at the BOK the night before and I would say they are pretty similar as far as concerts are concerned
    I agree...it was a good concert. I went with my friends and had fun. The only thing that would have made it better was if I knew all the words to their songs...I had never really heard of them until I got hooked up with good tickets and I figured, why not?

They were one of the headliners on Friday at the ACL Fest, before the mud came on Saturday from what I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    They were one of the headliners on Friday at the ACL Fest, before the mud came on Saturday from what I have heard.
    I saw them at ACL on friday night, when the weather was still nice, and it was crazy to see the sea of people in front of the stage. It was a good show but to be honest I would have rather seen them at the Ford Center as I would have been much closer to the stage.

It is weird that not even a year ago they played at the Bricktown events center and now at the Ford Center. Im pretty sure it has something to do with their popularity exploding in the last few months, and as an early adopter of KOL, that kind of has me annoyed. But congrats to them.

I am not a fan of attending the festivals, went to a few in my youth and I'm just too old I guess to enjoy that environment, especially with the weather over the weekend. I'm glad that it is here but I would rather see bands in a different environment. A few co and ex-co-workers went over the weekend and the mud was as bad as it looked and smelled bad...it will be awhile before Zilker Park recovers, it seems to be either 100 degrees and a dust bowl or a rainy mud pit.

I was in Denver over the weekend, saw many coming in for it as we were flying out on Thursday and some leaving as we came back yesterday.

the mud for ACL was ridiculous. and even worse, it was a compost composed of grass clippings and treated sewage called "dillo dirt" that was laid down underneath the new grass. getting anywhere consisted of sliding and slipping, not walking... the downpour on saturday wasn't a real big deal, just the aftermath with the mud... ACL needs to have a better gameplan for next year in case it happens again...

and to keep the thread on topic, i saw the Yeah Yeah Yeah's friday night at ACL instead of KoL... smallish crowd for YYY's, looked to be a much bigger crowd for KoL...

Next year it will be the second weekend of October (announced this week) but you never know what the weather will be like here. I know they have had the lawn at Zilker closed for a few months trying to get the grass rooted and mature. I know everyone that I have talked to said it was great on Friday, just the after effects of the monsoon. Considering what happened they said the grass will recover much better than in years past with the dry, extreme heat conditions.

Thread Information