Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I-40 between Yukon and I-44 junction

Default I-40 between Yukon and I-44 junction

As well know, driving on i-40 between exit 136 in Yukon and the i-44 junction has lots of problems. Some spots are nice and smooth. How long will it take to fix this problem? Will they start fixing i-40 in Yukon once they are done with the Morgan Rd construction?

Default Re: I-40 between Yukon and I-44 junction

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoy18 View Post
    As well know, driving on i-40 between exit 136 in Yukon and the i-44 junction has lots of problems. Some spots are nice and smooth. How long will it take to fix this problem? Will they start fixing i-40 in Yukon once they are done with the Morgan Rd construction?
    from Page 22 of ODOT's 8 year work plan:

CANADIAN CO. RECONSTRUCT-ADDED LANES I-40: FROM FROM MILE MARKER 136 TO MILE MARKER 139.83 J/P 24424(07) FFY 2014 $48,905,772

Quote Originally Posted by jonno View Post
    from Page 22 of ODOT's 8 year work plan:

CANADIAN CO. RECONSTRUCT-ADDED LANES I-40: FROM FROM MILE MARKER 136 TO MILE MARKER 139.83 J/P 24424(07) FFY 2014 $48,905,772
    That's hard to understand :-(

That's hard to understand :-(
    they are going to start construction on it in Fiscal Year 2014... estimated time for this project to start is feb of 2014, it will go from mile marker 136 (Garth Brooks BLVD) to 139.83 (which is up to the current construction at Morgan Rd). the project is to completely destroy and reconstruct I-40 and add lanes while doing so. the cost of the project is $48.9 million.... anything else??

To the I-44 Junction by Mathis Brothers or the I-40 Junction by Xerox?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris7 View Post
    To the I-44 Junction by Mathis Brothers or the I-40 Junction by Xerox?
    By Mathis Brothers

7. Default Re: I-40 between Yukon and I-44 junction

Are you kidding me? That road is super nice. I'm sorry, every suburb does not need its own super highway paved with frosted sugar.

This is absolutely $48 million wasted if you ask me. What a waste here.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Are you kidding me? That road is super nice. I'm sorry, every suburb does not need its own super highway paved with frosted sugar.

From I44 (mathis bros) to Morgan Rd isnt too bad but from Morgan Rd to just west of Garth Brooks Blvd has to be one of the worst stretch of highways in the state. You must not have driven this much because it is bumpy, cracked, and only 2 lanes. Its only logical to redo this stretch to meet up with the new 3 lane stretch that goes to El Reno.

Hardly. From about Rockwell/Council to the west it's the roughest part in the metro but it's not so bad from there back to I-44.

From Meridian to Portland, the real main concern is simply restriping; the lanes are very hard to see, especially at sunrise/sunset.

11. Default Re: I-40 between Yukon and I-44 junction

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    From I44 (mathis bros) to Morgan Rd isnt too bad but from Morgan Rd to just west of Garth Brooks Blvd has to be one of the worst stretch of highways in the state. You must not have driven this much because it is bumpy, cracked, and only 2 lanes. Its only logical to redo this stretch to meet up with the new 3 lane stretch that goes to El Reno.
    Hold on. 3 lanes out to El Reno??

12. Default Re: I-40 between Yukon and I-44 junction

Yes. ODOT is six-laning I-40 from OKC to just a few miles outside of El Reno, and from Midwest City to the Pottawatomie County line.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Yes, they completed that around late 2010 I think, thats why I was wondering why didnt odot continue the construction at the Garth Brooks exit, instead of skipping to the Morgan Rd exit

14. Default Re: I-40 between Yukon and I-44 junction

That is nuts. Sheer insanity.

off topic but did you vote NO on maps 3?

Having suburbs and using interstate highways to commute, yep. But now that we have them, have you seen the traffic? I can't speak about the drive in but westbound I-40 is backed up every evening from about Rockwell to who knows where, and the roads are crap on the same stretch.

Building 3 lanes of course continues the circular problem, faster access means more people will build further out and so on...until the end of cheap fuel.

I never saw where they are widening I-40 from Midwest City to the county line. I did see where they are widening it from the I-40/I-240 merge to the county line Eastward. That would still leave I-40 as four lanes from Midwest Blvd to the I-40/I-240 merge.

What page is it shown where I-40 and Midwest Blvd Eastward would be widened? I must have missed that.

18. Default Re: I-40 between Yukon and I-44 junction

Last year when I was returning to OKC from a roadtrip via I-40, the FIRST THING I THOUGHT was how bad the road is there west of the city. It's cracked, extremely rough on any car not bigger than a Ford F-150, and did not leave a good impression when entering our community. If you don't think it's bad, then you must have thoroughly enjoyed the elevated Crosstown.

19. Default Re: I-40 between Yukon and I-44 junction

This is the source of our problem. I don't think you guys realize just how good you have it with the freeways around OKC, and now we want more and better and newer and bigger ones??

Sheesh. And nobody will balk at $40 million, or meh what's $800 million there, but we can't even have a railroad quiet zone downtown. Or an Gaylord that's not a visual assault. Or the completion of two-way streets. Or a Bikeshare system that doesn't have to run a profit and could be used by tourists and casual visitors. These are much more essential transit needs than having 3 lanes all the way out to El Reno or Shawnee.

If the pavement is as bad as it's chalked up to be by you guys (I distinctly remember driving out to Yukon and always thinking, "wow, this is a nice highway" but maybe I didn't go far enough), then the road should be re-paved. But for ODOT to be spending our money on 3 lanes to these cities that are really far out and not needed, especially in the face of all of our other needs and then the impossibility of getting them to pay for non-highway projects, it's just stunningly egregious.

This is the source of our problem. I don't think you guys realize just how good you have it with the freeways around OKC, and now we want more and better and newer and bigger ones??

Sheesh. And nobody will balk at $40 million, or meh what's $800 million there, but we can't even have a railroad quiet zone downtown. Or an Gaylord that's not a visual assault. Or the completion of two-way streets. Or a Bikeshare system that doesn't have to run a profit and could be used by tourists and casual visitors. These are much more essential transit needs than having 3 lanes all the way out to El Reno or Shawnee.

If the pavement is as bad as it's chalked up to be by you guys (I distinctly remember driving out to Yukon and always thinking, "wow, this is a nice highway" but maybe I didn't go far enough), then the road should be re-paved. But for ODOT to be spending our money on 3 lanes to these cities that are really far out and not needed, especially in the face of all of our other needs and then the impossibility of getting them to pay for non-highway projects, it's just stunningly egregious.
    I think you are mixing city money with state-federal money. This is a national highway that connects the coasts. I understand what you are saying, but going east on I-40 from Garth Brooks to Morgan Rd is very rough. If you have a girl friend that is blessed and is riding in your truck you will see what I am talking about. The bumps are massive and she will beg you to slow down! The road has shifted and every 15-20' where they poured the concrete is where the bumps are.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Having suburbs and using interstate highways to commute, yep. But now that we have them, have you seen the traffic? I can't speak about the drive in but westbound I-40 is backed up every evening from about Rockwell to who knows where, and the roads are crap on the same stretch.

Building 3 lanes of course continues the circular problem, faster access means more people will build further out and so on...until the end of cheap fuel.
    It is backed up at Rockwell due to construction dropping it down to two narrow lanes near the county line. The stretch between the turnpike and el reno needed major resurfacing work at least fifteen years ago, three lanes out that far is a bit much but they needed to at least do something different with the way they were transitioning to two lanes in the area before. Due to people not familiar of the area most noticeably semis and slow traffic would see signs for a juncture they would tend to move from the right lane into the middle lane just before the left lane ended, I have seen many near hits their, this caused that lane to slow down and restrict people merging when their lane was ending all while the right lane was then being underutilized.

The 6 lane section that runs from just west of the Garth Brooks Exit to just east of El Reno was done primarily for maintenance of traffic issues during construction. 4 lanes of traffic were maintained. The resurfacing project through El Reno was done half at a time, one lane of traffic running in each direction. Too many fatality accidents during construction.

I think everyone would be surprised at the amount of vehicles that drive I-40 in this area. Approximately 30,000 - 35,000 vehicles per day with a pretty high percentage of trucks drive through this stretch of interstate. This is a construction nightmare for the people that are working on a road with people driving 70-80 mph. Speed zones through these areas aren't out there to make people late but to keep them safe.

The last stretch of I40 to be constructed is from around Garth Brooks to where the Morgan Rd project ends, then hopefully this stretch should be good for many years. Be patient!!!!

I'd be surprised if this wasn't the most traveled interstate highway connecting the coasts.

I'm constantly seeing OHP with vehicles pulled over on I-40, often 2 to 3 "unmarked" suburbans to one pull-over, and usually, it's a big rig pulled over. Does anybody know: is OHP trying to battle a drug trafficing problem on I-40 (per my wife)? or is there some other reason they seem to be focusing on the commercial vehicles?

Thread Information