Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where in the world is Mike Morgan?

Default Where in the world is Mike Morgan?

Haven't seen him on Channel 4 lately and he wasn't around for the big storm on Tuesday nite..was wondering if he is gone from Ch 4, or is he sick or anything like that?

Default Re: Where in the world is Mike Morgan?

vacation

Whew

dinna know he was gone, but I don't tend to catch 4 very often. It's not near as fun to watch as the Gary EeekHegratesonme Show

In my household, we call him 'Doomsday' Morgan. If the other stations are forecasting showers, he predicts a monsoon.

6. Default Re: Where in the world is Mike Morgan?

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    In my household, we call him 'Doomsday' Morgan. If the other stations are forecasting showers, he predicts a monsoon.
    I agree, everyone will say 1-2 inches, he will say 4 -6. We call him "Robot Hands", I swear his hands are twice the size of a normal person.

Gimme Rick Mitchell anyday.

I like Rick Mitchell a lot better too, but I really enjoyed the David Payne show. It was great. Especially the clip they used on MSNBC. "There's a roof...look at that square." Hilarious! I had to wonder if he had a coffee IV running.

lol...we call him chicken little at our house. And if he's on vacation he's probably riding Thomas the train engine thing again.

he will hype a winter storm big time if he knows he's going to be off when its supposed to hit, most of the time it misses us, or its a fraction of what it was supposed to be.

He's the only local weatherman without a degree, maybe's he's gone back to college.

Not all of them have meteorology degrees, though, assuming you are correct. Take a look through the bios when you have time. In some cases, it's somewhat related to science, but in others, it's simple broadcasting. I'd rather have them go overboard than the other way.

12. Default Re: Where in the world is Mike Morgan?

Quote Originally Posted by jsibelius View Post
    Not all of them have meteorology degrees, though, assuming you are correct. Take a look through the bios when you have time. In some cases, it's somewhat related to science, but in others, it's simple broadcasting. I'd rather have them go overboard than the other way.
    The problem with going overboard is becoming the weather guy that cries wolf.

The other issue is when they predict massive snow storms or horrible weather it kills businesses and events that otherwise would have been normal.

The only reason they go overboard is so the one time out of 100 they are correct, they can pound their chest and say "We were the ONLY one that got it right."

When did weather predictions become a competition?

13. Default Re: Where in the world is Mike Morgan?

Quote Originally Posted by so1rfan View Post
    The problem with going overboard is becoming the weather guy that cries wolf.

The other issue is when they predict massive snow storms or horrible weather it kills businesses and events that otherwise would have been normal.

The only reason they go overboard is so the one time out of 100 they are correct, they can pound their chest and say "We were the ONLY one that got it right."

When did weather predictions become a competition?
    It's all a competition, every facet of the show, from the weather coverage to getting interviews to breaking a story first. The stations are always reminding us of this, and this week has been no exception.

KOCO already had created new promos for its weather coverage within a few hours of its extended coverage. I've seen other stations do the same. I also hear stations constantly brag to the likes of "We were the only station to do so and so", or "We were the first to bring you ...".

Rick Mitchell has yet another new promo that I just saw on Saturday.

It's dog-eat-dog in the news business, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post
    It's dog-eat-dog in the news business, that's for sure.
    That's certainly true of OKC TV weather. There aren't many (if any) other TV markets that spend so much on weather staffing and technology. If Gary England isn't the highest-paid TV meterologist in the country, he's gotta be pretty close.

15. Default Re: Where in the world is Mike Morgan?

That's certainly true of OKC TV weather. There aren't many (if any) other TV markets that spend so much on weather staffing and technology. If Gary England isn't the highest-paid TV meterologist in the country, he's gotta be pretty close.
    Yeah, imagine being a weatherman in Arizona. I could write the 7-day forecast a month in advance without anything more than a historical chart.

It probably pays 100 dollars a week, tops! ;-) Every time my friends from AZ call me, they just taunt me with the incredibly great weather.

I work at INTEGRIS Southwest. We allow people from the neighborhood to seek refuge in the basement when a tornado warning has been issued.

Last summer after a Tornado Warning we received the all clear from our Security Department. The storm had left the area and was east of Oklahoma City.

We had to turn off all the televisions in waiting rooms just get people to leave. All the weather geeks on every channel were acting like nuclear war had it the city. All the hysteria had people in the hospital scarred out of their wits. It took forever to calm people down to where they would go home. Our clinical directors were to the point where they were going to call the police to get the hospital cleared out.

I wish the local TV management could have seen the fear in people's eyes that day. If they had seen those people they probably would have taken efforts to keep the hyper screaming idiots off the air during severe weather coverage.

oneforone: Which day last year was that?

Although a storm may have left the Oklahoma City area, people throughout a large part of the state (including some counties to our east) are served by Oklahoma City TV stations. Only about 50% of the Oklahoma City DMA resides in the immediate metro area.

18. Default Re: Where in the world is Mike Morgan?

http://research.backchannelmedia.com.../Oklahoma_City

That is the main area of responsibility for OKC stations. Now they do cover a lot of SW Oklahoma as well since that is usually always coming into their area eventually.

That is the main area of responsibility for OKC stations.
    The main area of responsibility for OKC stations is 3434 West Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post

21. Default Re: Where in the world is Mike Morgan?

Yeah, imagine being a weatherman in Arizona. I could write the 7-day forecast a month in advance without anything more than a historical chart.

It probably pays 100 dollars a week, tops! ;-) Every time my friends from AZ call me, they just taunt me with the incredibly great weather.
    yeah, nothing like 110 degree weather each day in the summer. when i was out there a few summers ago it was like 119 for a few days straight

It's all a competition, every facet of the show, from the weather coverage to getting interviews to breaking a story first. The stations are always reminding us of this, and this week has been no exception.

KOCO already had created new promos for its weather coverage within a few hours of its extended coverage. I've seen other stations do the same. I also hear stations constantly brag to the likes of "We were the only station to do so and so", or "We were the first to bring you ...".
    I noticed the quick new promos too, I swear it hadn't been 24 hours since the tornado came through and they already had new spots made. Reminds me of this clip from a couple of years ago. You just gotta laugh sometimes. YouTube - KWTV and Gary England Respond to Stewart Spoof

It would be interesting to see a study done (by week, month, or year) to see which station gets the forecast right (or closest to it) the most often. It would be difficult though because I've noticed, especially on KFOR, that their meteoroliogist don't even agree. They often call for wildly different impacts from storms than that of their colleagues. Especially when it comes to ice/snow events.

And to answer the question, Mike was in Australia last week. I guess they do get paid pretty well!!

Well said, sir! Well said!

25. Default Re: Where in the world is Mike Morgan?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    yeah, nothing like 110 degree weather each day in the summer. when i was out there a few summers ago it was like 119 for a few days straight
    To quote Bill Paxton in the second "Alien" movie, "Yeah, but it's a DRY heat!"

I said that line about 50 times in Arizona with my friends. It was a wonderful running joke.

Thread Information