Widgets Magazine

Thread: Lunch Time Food Trucks in OKC, OK Tourism NEEDS your Help

Default Lunch Time Food Trucks in OKC, OK Tourism NEEDS your Help

I have a friend in the OK Tourism Department, trying to assemble some information, he asks, "Do any of you guys know of any decent food trucks in OKC that are open during lunch? (POPS, Big Truck, and Odelay are already taken care of)..." Maybe some of you folks can help....

Default Re: Lunch Time Food Trucks in OKC, OK Tourism NEEDS your Help

JTs tacos at something like 4th n Harrison and the Patty Wagon, which has been stationed at May n Grand

I don't know if its any good, although I'm planning to check it out one of these days, but there's a taco truck parked over on the lot between Fourth and Harrison just east of the RR bridge. He's even got a covered area with picnic tables. I suspect he's catering to the construction crews around here. Once I try the tacos, I'll report back.

Edit: It looks like onthestrip and I are talking about the same truck and posted simultaneously.

It's (JT's) really good. The "Salty Dog", add eggs, is a great breakfast taco. A great deal - 2 tacos and a drink for $5. I think they are open from 7ish to 1ish.
    Last edited by positano; 07-07-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Thought I would add the name for clarity.

we looked for jt's a couple saturdays ago but didn't have any luck... are they only open weekdays? -M

Yes, jts is only open weekdays. Their $5 breakfast special is a solid deal. I recommend checking them out.

Bobo's chicken

8. Default Re: Lunch Time Food Trucks in OKC, OK Tourism NEEDS your Help

There is/was a truck in the parking lot of Lucky's strip bar on NW 10th near Tulsa. The soft tacos there are excellent. Wouldn't exactly consider it 'family friendly,' but you are ordering from a truck parked on the side of the road after all.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    There is/was a truck in the parking lot of Lucky's strip bar on NW 10th near Tulsa. The soft tacos there are excellent. Wouldn't exactly consider it 'family friendly,' but you are ordering from a truck parked on the side of the road after all.

Couldnt help but notice the sign and wondering whats for desert.

10. Default Re: Lunch Time Food Trucks in OKC, OK Tourism NEEDS your Help

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Most likely crab salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Actually, Lucky's sign is in front of the building next door to the West of the club and not directly in front of the club. The building to the West of the club is where Taqueria Sanchez parks their truck. The carne asada tacos from the truck are excellent! They serve them on corn tortillas with onion and cilantro. They are only a $1 each and one of the best taco truck values you will find.

Lucky's on the other hand is not a value. Mostly ones and twos dancing there...

I will add a 4th opinion that JTs is a worthwhile lunch destination. For $7 you get two quite meaty tacos and a drink. Try the Macho Taco. Get there early--they close at 1:00pm.

13. Default Re: Lunch Time Food Trucks in OKC, OK Tourism NEEDS your Help

Another vote for JT's. Had breakfast there this morning as a matter of fact. Split the breakfast special with the wife (see photo) after we left the downtown Y.

Marc, the owner, is a great guy and the director of the Francis Tuttle Culinary Arts program. The flour tortillas are made fresh each morning and you can tell! We will be back again soon (maybe for lunch).

Blog review: http://blog.wimgo.com/cornerbooth/20...ith-jts-tacos/

Urban Spoon: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/15975...-Oklahoma-City

There is a new food truck in town. It is WokStop food truck. It mainly serves Asian food - gourmet. For $8 you get fried or steamed rice with an entree, a soup or an eggroll. Their eggroll is delicious! You can get the same thing with an extra entree for $10. You can see where they will be at on their facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Wokstopokc.

15. Default Re: Lunch Time Food Trucks in OKC, OK Tourism NEEDS your Help

Here is a message from the owners of the Pattywagon. They are closed right now.

Do to a new state law that places tighter restrictions on mobile food service we are closed. We are making plans as well as doing some renovations so that we can open our doors again soon. When we do reopen we will be in different places each day and you will need to follow our Tweets and our facebook updates to keep up with where we will be each day. We appreciate all of your support and patronage that have helped us became a local food hot spot and we ask you to please bare with us as we make these changes. Thank You

I was going to say, they haven't been at May/Grand in a long time. They got booted out of that location.

Bacon, eggs & coffee off the Coleman stove on the tailgate at the lake in the morning seems like it tastes better than on Sunday morning in the kitchen but it's the same food. It's just the different surroundings that changes the percepted taste IMO. Serve up any of these food truck dishes in a sitdown restaurant and they likely wouldn't seem as good.

18. Default Re: Lunch Time Food Trucks in OKC, OK Tourism NEEDS your Help

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Bacon, eggs & coffee off the Coleman stove on the tailgate at the lake in the morning seems like it tastes better than on Sunday morning in the kitchen but it's the same food. It's just the different surroundings that changes the percepted taste IMO. Serve up any of these food truck dishes in a sitdown restaurant and they likely wouldn't seem as good.
    I disagree to a large extend (but not completely). For example, Big Truck Taco has mobile trucks and a brick and mortar building - I see no different in the taste or overall quality.

Plus, I eat at lots of trucks - especially on the south side. Some are excellent and others not good at all. But I see your point and I think some patrons certainly fall for the 'gimmick' of it all. On the flip side - take Eischeins (sp) for example. I think if the restaurant food was in an OKC joint, it wouldn't nearly be as popular.

I'll yield to the voice (Gut?) of experience. <G>

Unfortunately, there isn't much selection here. Much of what is available is also available at a typical restaurant. In other cities, truly original or uncommon cuisine is being offered. Korean pork-belly tacos, Japanese Ramen, French braised lamb cheeks with foie gras, etc.

I can get burger anywhere. It being in a food truck doesn't make it any better unless it's truly unique. This is especially true if the price is about the same. The Wokstop truck looks great and I hope they do well, but it's nothing I can't get at Grand House. How about Szechuan Buffalo Wings, Kung Pao Pastrami, salt cod fried rice, or any regional Chinese cuisine that is rarely seen on American menus.

Waffle Champion and Bobo's are doing something unique. Some of the taco truck that are offering regional takes Mexican food are really good. Look at what's going on in other major cities and what the most successful ones are offering. That's the difference.

I understand that some of the more unusual fare may be a hard sell, but if it's good it will sell.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Another vote for JT's. Had breakfast there this morning as a matter of fact. Split the breakfast special with the wife (see photo) after we left the downtown Y.

Marc, the owner, is a great guy and the director of the Francis Tuttle Culinary Arts program. The flour tortillas are made fresh each morning and you can tell! We will be back again soon (maybe for lunch).

Blog review: http://blog.wimgo.com/cornerbooth/20...ith-jts-tacos/

Urban Spoon: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/15975...-Oklahoma-City
    Dude your old lady is hott!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck johnson View Post
    Unfortunately, there isn't much selection here. Much of what is available is also available at a typical restaurant. In other cities, truly original or uncommon cuisine is being offered. Korean pork-belly tacos, Japanese Ramen, French braised lamb cheeks with foie gras, etc.

I can get burger anywhere. It being in a food truck doesn't make it any better unless it's truly unique. This is especially true if the price is about the same. The Wokstop truck looks great and I hope they do well, but it's nothing I can't get at Grand House. How about Szechuan Buffalo Wings, Kung Pao Pastrami, salt cod fried rice, or any regional Chinese cuisine that is rarely seen on American menus.

Waffle Champion and Bobo's are doing something unique. Some of the taco truck that are offering regional takes Mexican food are really good. Look at what's going on in other major cities and what the most successful ones are offering. That's the difference.

I understand that some of the more unusual fare may be a hard sell, but if it's good it will sell.
    Chuck, you're absolutely correct. But as you stated some of it might be a hard sell. I'll certainly pass on the pork belly tacos and the lamb cheeks with foie gras. LOL
    It typically takes a large population that has a cuisine based on that type of food to appreciate it and OKC isn't there yet.

I agree with you on both ... the camping experience makes everything seem to taste better, most of the time *lol* and food off the truck does seem better than if I sat down in a brick and mortor place.

24. Default Re: Lunch Time Food Trucks in OKC, OK Tourism NEEDS your Help

Quote Originally Posted by ck76 View Post
    Dude your old lady is hott!!!!!
    Her 40-years has been very good to her.

Thread Information