Widgets Magazine

Thread: Top 10 Reasons NOT to move to OKC

Default Top 10 Reasons NOT to move to OKC

Saw this on YouTube. This was posted almost 4 years ago. Not good, but wanted to share it.
    https://youtu.be/ehpa2ecyhC0?si=5rkpYupxCXBol02-

Blog Entries

Default Re: Top 10 Reasons NOT to move to OKC

All three people who saw this probably weren't moving here anyway. Glad you posted something amateurish and negative. Good going.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    All three people who saw this probably weren't moving here anyway. Glad you posted something amateurish and negative. Good going.
    I read your comment as you are making negative statements toward the original poster? He is only trying to encourage discussion and site traffic, IMO.

Encourage discussion with a 4 year old YouTube video suggesting avoiding OKC on a forum dedicated to its betterment? Please be serious, Dob.

Seems like a typical billokc post and I haven't seen a new thread from him be inflammatory or negative towards OKC... I could be wrong. Use the search bar for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    Encourage discussion with a 4 year old YouTube video suggesting avoiding OKC on a forum dedicated to its betterment? Please be serious, Dob.
    I assume it is crap. But, oppo viewpoints are vital to listen to, so we avoid becoming an echo chamber. Also, I think OKC Talk is about what is going on in OKC. I don't think it is, nor should it be, dedicated to its betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I assume it is crap. But, oppo viewpoints are vital to listen to, so we avoid becoming an echo chamber. Also, I think OKC Talk is about what is going on in OKC. I don't think it is, nor should it be, dedicated to its betterment.
    Absolutely this. I've lived here most of my life and it's become a much, much better place to live (especially within the last decade or so)... but to be frank, there's still a lot of reasons to dislike living here and it's perfectly okay to discuss those things. We can't grow and be a better, more attractive city without listening to the reasons why people might not want to live here. Some of those reasons may be out of our control, but they're still worth talking about to see if there is room for improvement somewhere.

The reasons this video comes up with are as follows:
    10. Speeding tickets/speed traps
    9. Lack of effective public transit/you need a car to go most places
    8. Conservative politics
    7. Bad schools (on average)
    6. Bad weather (tornadoes, heat, etc) (also mention of earthquakes)
    5. Road construction
    4. Low wages/lack of support for unions (also high crime rates?)
    3. Homelessness
    2. Mold (???)
    1. "It's boring"

Some of these I'll agree with, but some of these are either no longer relevant or weren't really an issue to begin with (unless I've been living under a rock or something?). The one thing on this list that's a big hot-button issue for me personally for a few reasons is also one we can't really talk about on here, so I won't go into any detail on that one... but 9, 7, 5, and 4 are definitely issues that sorely need to be addressed. (for 5, by that I don't necessarily mean we need less construction, we just need these projects to be completed quicker and be built to last way longer)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I read your comment as you are making negative statements toward the original poster? He is only trying to encourage discussion and site traffic, IMO.
    There are thoughtful discussion pieces and there is clickbait. This OLD video is amateur clickbait, not thought provoking insights to reflect on. Why even give it the light of day?

'It's Boring'. My 100 year old mom has a saying, if you think something is boring, then you are boring. Do something about it.

I watched the video and there's only one on that list that's legit and that's road construction.

The others are from someone who didn't do any homework. I'd like to see the methodology for the stats on many of his others.

It's fine, though. We will never be Dallas or Chicago or San Francisco. And we shouldn't try to be. We should just be the best OKC we can be. And I'm not really interested in being so popular that we grow to a metro population of 3 or so million.

Must be a slow news day. Talking about a random 4 year old youtube video from a youtuber who is just average on subscriptions and views.

Thread Information