Widgets Magazine

Thread: Love's

Default Love's

I have been generally impressed with most of the Love's I have encountered over the decades now, but was really disappointed in a particular location. One would think a location adjacent to its corporate HQ at Hefner & penn, would be more of a "flagship". It probably wasn't a Love's to begin with, and is small, dingy and reminds me more of a bad 7-11. Doesn't reflect well on the company at all, certainly doesn't match up with what they have on their website:
    At Love's, we're passionate about providing friendly service and clean, modern facilities stocked with the fuel, food, and supplies drivers need to keep them going. We were founded on this idea in 1964, and it remains our guiding principle more than 40 years later: "Clean Places, Friendly Faces".

2. Default Re: Love's

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    I have been generally impressed with most of the Love's I have encountered over the decades now, but was really disappointed in a particular location. One would think a location adjacent to its corporate HQ at Hefner & penn, would be more of a "flagship". It probably wasn't a Love's to begin with, and is small, dingy and reminds me more of a bad 7-11. Doesn't reflect well on the company at all, certainly doesn't match up with what they have on their website:
    Couldn't agree more. I can see it being smaller because of the location than a regular Love's, but it should just be a mini-version, in my opinion. And it darn should be a new building. The current one, as you pointed out, is not even clean looking. I would be embarrassed to be Love's and have that sitting outside my corporate headquarters.

3. Default Re: Love's

The one in Edmond off I-35 is big and has private showers.

Default Re: Love's

when we take family vacation, we only try to stop at loves if possible, the restrooms 99 percent of the time are clean and the workers are friendly

5. Default Re: Love's

We prefer Love's whenever we travel. But On Cue is our absolute favorite gas station/convenience store.

We go to the 7-11 on South MacArthur next to their corporate headquarters when we volunteer at Feed the Children. Even though its tiny and outdated, like their other locations, its always bright and clean - while nice, it serves as a reminder that their other, non HQ locations, could be nicer too if they wanted them to be. But instead they are just nasty most of the time. The one at SE 44 and Shields is disgusting.

I can remember when the 7-eleven stores in the Oklahoma City area would not let customers use their restrooms. Some of the old 7-elevens still have really nasty bathrooms.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    ... Some of the old 7-elevens still have really nasty bathrooms.

Unfortunately, it's not just the old ones, nor is it just the 7/11 stores. If cleanliness is next to Godliness, Godliness has only rarely ever been within a country mile of many c-store facilities.

Unfortunately, nasty bathrooms are just as much a reflection of the clientele that use them. That is why many businesses don't have 'public" restrooms. They would have to hire someone just to keep the rest room clean, make sure folks aren't trying to shop lift etc.

9. Default Re: Love's

Just got back. I waited for about 20 minutes for all the showers (includes toilet, sink, mirror, motion fan, and towels) until finally all the sticks (with keys) were brought back to the front. Shower #4 is the one I always use...I always request that rather than using different rooms. It was super clean. To be on the safe side, I use flippers.

10. Default Re: Love's

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Unfortunately, nasty bathrooms are just as much a reflection of the clientele that use them. That is why many businesses don't have 'public" restrooms. They would have to hire someone just to keep the rest room clean, make sure folks aren't trying to shop lift etc.
    I agree and disagree. On Cue's are usually only a block away from places like 7-11 - yet I've never been in a On Cue with a disgusting (or even dirty) bathroom. I've yet to go into a bathroom at a 7-11 that didn't make me gag.

I think in many cases its more of a reflection of the overall condition of the store.

I have noticed that virtually all the 7-11's have remodeled their bathrooms with all new tile, etc. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to improve their customers aim!

I didn't know that Love's had a location next to their offices, is this the former Circle K store on the southwest corner of Hefner & Penn? If they didn't build something new then that was built as a convenience store a long, long time ago.

12. Default Re: Love's

Love's should never have a convenience store. When people see Love's, they generally know its a truck stop. And with a truck stop, superior luxury is provided. OnCue can be a truck stop, but they are not building along side highways...but maybe in the future.

13. Default Re: Love's

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I didn't know that Love's had a location next to their offices, is this the former Circle K store on the southwest corner of Hefner & Penn? If they didn't build something new then that was built as a convenience store a long, long time ago.
    Yes, exactly. It never really made sense to me. It seems an almost novelty "mini-Loves" would be better than just branding an existing convenience store as a Love's. Weird deal, really. I can't believe they have that right outside their office windows.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Yes, that is the one. It was pre-existing convenience store that Love's slapped there sign on it. If they weren't going to improve it, would have been better to leave it seen as a "competitor", rather than hurt their own image.

Since that is the case it would be better to raze the existing building and build something more of a Love's without the truck stop portion.

true, thought i mentioned that but in my editing, it didn't make it. LOL even a grassy corner would be better

I dont think they ever replaced the o e that was destroyed in the tornado a few years ago at I-40 and Choctaw Rd. That they "promised" they'd rebuild.

metro: I agree.

This was over in another thread but think they were saying it has something to do with ODOT and some sort of widening project and they weren't going to rebuild in that exact location? But someone also pointed out the site hasn't been cleaned up either. Don't think Love's owns the property so it may fall to the property owner for cleanup? But in any case, just as with this store right next door to their corporate headquarters it doesn't reflect well on them at all.

The Love's at Penn and Hefner used to be an E-Z Mart. It is nowhere near as nice as most Love's locations (except for the one in Miami, OK), but it really isn't all that bad--just another convenience store, except with more fast food options. The creation of the Corporate Headquarters parking lot was a major improvement to the area: It replaced The Worst Burger King in The Universe.

As a generic convenience store I wouldn't disagree (mom & pop, 7-11). As a Love's, QT (QuickTrip) or OnCue a major fail (esp when located adjacent to the corporate headquarters)

Frankly, now that you mention it, I'm surprised that The Corporate Honchos and Honchoettes next door haven't noticed this anomoly . . . But then, on the other hand, they probably don't walk right next door to check it out.

(When it first opened, I sort of expected it to be The Jewel of Jewels on The Crown of The Best TravelStop on Any Road, Anywhere. But it's not, so that is probably why I continue to spend my dollars at the little Foreign Embassy across the street whose gasoline prices are competative. =)

Comparing Loves to OnCue or QT is laughable. Loves are dirty, cluttered, and kitchy at best, and haven't updated their look and logo in decades.

True, I didn't mean to imply that Love's was in the same category as OnCue or QT (they are in a class of their own), only that all 3 were light years above a typical mom & pop or 7-11

Thread Information