Links:
    Official Website
    Menu
    Facebook Page
    Yelp
    Urban Spoon

Information & Latest News

Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1492a.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	5981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1492b.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	5982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1492c.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	5983  

2. Default Re: 1492 to open next week

Any hints of the menu for us?

Default Re: 1492 to open next week

Lot's of appetizers. Basic Tex/Mex. Lot's of speciality dishes like roasted duck enchiladas. Their menu reminded me of Ted's on steriods. All of the basic items but with a flair and a lot of unique dishes. I wasn't sure what a lot of the items were but when the chef explained them to me I was really impressed. I think this is going to go over big. This is definitely not your typical Mexican Food place. The decor was really nice and was a definite upgrade from what you normally see.

Do they have a website?

Quote Originally Posted by trison View Post
    This is definitely not your typical Mexican Food place.
    ...hence the Latin/Fusion tag.

I walked into the 1492 restaurant at 1207 N. Walker and they told me that they plan to open for business next week. I got to check out the menu and after looking at it I got so hungry that I had to go to lunch immediately. I think this is going to be a great addition to the area and to Banta's Midtown Renaissance.

I've been looking forward to seeing this restaurant open up. It is interesting that they have had the silverware and napkins set out on the table for the past month but will only be opening up next week. Regardless, the menu sounds delicious and the inside of it looks very nice.

Do you remember what the prices were like?

I thought the prices were good. Less than Ted's....more in line with Chelino's but better selection of food.

mecarr, the reason they took so long was that they were waiting for the city to finish up utility and streetscape work in the area. 1492 has been good to go for awhile now as you have mentioned.

I walked into the 1492 restaurant at 1207 N. Walker and they told me that they plan to open for business next week. I got to check out the menu and after looking at it I got so hungry that I had to go to lunch immediately. I think this is going to be a great addition to the area and to Banta's Midtown Renaissance.

My Wed. night dinner group might like to check this out. Are they open evenings??
    Thanks for the headsup!

redcup, it's the type of place that will probably only be open in evenings.

1492 is officially open. They are serving lunch and dinner starting today. I went to their soft opening on Saturday and the food was outstanding. Be careful with the frozen mojito's. They are unbelievably good but hit you when your not expecting it. I'm just now starting to feel my legs again. I strongly recommend this restaurant. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I went for lunch today. The decor is very nice and understated. I had the duck enchilladas and don't remember their name. They were amazing. It might be the best dish I've ever had in that genre. My daughter had the Pollo Azteca, which was basically chicken covered in white cheese and green onion. She said it was OK, but nothing special. We couldn't decide what we thought about the queso, which was the standard chile con carne (there was one that sounded really interesting, with peppers, sour cream, beans and meat in it, but it sounded like a whole meal). It looked like melted Velveeta, and almost tasted like it, but there was something extra that made it good, although I had the vague idea that I shouldn't be liking something that had that much of a Kraft undertone. My daughter said the black beans were quite good, and the rice was delicious. I'll be going back to try some of the other interesting things on the menu, if I can talk myself out of having the duck enchiladas again. Now I may need a nap.

13. Default Re: 1492 to open next week

I was really excited about trying this place until I saw the word Velveeta....anyone else been there yet?

Misty, if you look she said there was something extra that made it good. Even though I haven't got around to eating there yet, I can assure you the owners of this place wouldn't use Velveta. These are the same owners of New World Cuisine in Edmond (very nice eclectic food, often with a Latin fusion). I've tasted nothing but amazing things from New World and expect the same with their new concept.

Metro, are you sure these are the same guys from New World Cuisine in Edmond? I know the Edmond store has closed, but I don't think the 1492 group is connected at all. In their Velveeta defense, about 99% of all mexican (tex-mex) restaurants use either Velveeta or a product called Golden Velvet for their queso. Not just in OKC, but everywhere.

Different people own 1492. Arturo and Marco Chavez are the owners. This is their first restaurant. They do come from a long line of restaurantors from Dallas. As far as the queso it is not velveeta. I asked them at lunch and they said they make it fresh each day from 3 different types of cheese.

I drove by yesterday and it looks very cool. I am getting really excited about this area. Looks like they are working on the buildings surrounding 1492, as well. This area could by like Western, but even cooler as it would be older, more dense, and have more variety within walking distance. I hope it works out that way.

In defense of velveeta, I believe that's what makes Johnnie's cheeseburgers so good.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I drove by yesterday and it looks very cool. I am getting really excited about this area. Looks like they are working on the buildings surrounding 1492, as well. This area could by like Western, but even cooler as it would be older, more dense, and have more variety within walking distance. I hope it works out that way.

In defense of velveeta, I believe that's what makes Johnnie's cheeseburgers so good.
    Johnnies uses Kraft shredded american cheese

Glad to hear it's not Velveeta, as based on everything else I had there, it seemed as if it would not be. As I said, the queso is good, it's just got a thicker, oranger look to it, and a sweeter taste than I'm used to around here. I didn't really mean for that to be the focus of my report, as my meal was excellent.

yes BDP, one of the buildings is going to be Gaijin? sushi restaurant. I forget what the other one is going to be.

Ive heard a wine bar will be taking one of the spots.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Johnnies uses Kraft shredded american cheese
    Doh! My bad.

23. Default Re: 1492 to open next week

Dined at 1492 late last night, and it seems to be off to a good start. They are open until 10PM week days and 11PM friday and saturday . . . good spot for a drink after the movie or theater downtown. Sunday brunch also. As with any new restaurant, it has a long way to go, but the place has a good restaurant feel to it . . . good menu . . . good decor . . . good location . . . etc. Our meal included tortilla soup which was a tiny bit on the salty side . . . just a tiny bit . . . but the chef provided a solid explaination to the cause and agreed with our assesment. The Varacruz Red Snapper I had was very good . . . moist & tasty . . . the grilled vegetables on the plate were nicely done as well but not presented to their best advantage. The duck enchilada plate . . . three enchiladas . . . way more than any normal human could consume . . . was very rich and tasty as well. our only critisim of that dish was an excessive amount of the sour cream and ???? topping. The wine selection is a short unprinted list now and hopefully that will be expanded soon. The wine glasses were the appropriate shape and the pour very generous . . . perhaps too generous (he slured as he staggered to his car) as I still had some wine drinking to do after I finished my meal. The bar layout is good and the wide open glass facades on the east and south offer really good city views. All in all, they're off to a good start and I look forward to dining there on a regular basis.

One of the two buildings to the north of 1492 will be a bridal shop and the other a wine bar or restaurant I believe. Gijin Sushi will occupy the building with the interesting tall round entrance next door on the south of 1492.

Midtown rocks.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Midtown 1492

Well my wife and I finally got to eat here last night. The ambiance and the view of the heart of Midtown is nice. I was a little disappointed with the menu, but all in all it was ok. They only had about 2 dishes or so that stuck out from your average Mexican restaurant. One was the duck enchiladas and the other was a mole' dish. Everything else was similar to other restaurants and I was expecting more fusion dishes.

They have complimentary chips and salsa. The chips are good and tasted fresh. The salsa is watered down and really really spicy (and I like spicy) but it was too hot for me even. I ordered the Tres something that included a cheese taco, a cheese enchilada and a beef taco. I must say they were excellent. The queso is velveeta like in texture as others have mentioned, however it was much better than velveeta. You could definitely tell it was thick mexican cheeses. It probably catches most people off guard since most mexican places literally put water in their cheese to water it down and thin it out. I would say their traditional mexican items are better than most places (tacos, enchiladas, etc.). Some of their plates are a little pricier than I'd expect, but all in all not much different than say Chelino's. My wife had a mango coconut chicken with rice and it was okay. She said it was okay but I thought it was a little overcooked and dry. We finished off our meal with "fried icecream". I must say I was a little disappointed with it as well. It wasn't true fried icecream. Basically it was premade and frozen. They scooped the icecream and rolled it in crushed corn flakes and cinnamon sugar and then froze it. When we ordered it, I'm guessing all they did was add the carmel and chocolate sauce as well as some strawberries. The icecream was really hard and you could barely even get it on to your spoon. Most fried icecream I've had was served fresh and the outside crust was hot, thus the inside of the icecream was a little melty.

Average dish price is approximately $15, some more and some less. Their lunch prices are $8. Most dishes are not served with rice and beans. I will definitely go back to support Midtown and I love the fact it is blocks from my home and work so I could walk or ride my bike.

1492okc.com

I also dined at 1492 earlier this evening, and yes, it IS off to a very good start. I had the roasted duck enchiladas, and although I did not express this vocally, it was not seasoned enough and was a bit bland. I did not think they were rich and tasty. However, I had probably the best tres leches cake I've had anywhere for dessert, and it was great, with a lot of fruit in the topping and as a garnish around the plate (sliced strawberries, pineapple, and mango). Normally tres leches cake is not like this, i.e. served with fruit, but this time it was, and it was good. They need to change that when summer really ends next month, and drizze it with chocolate and caramel or something for fall/winter. Otherwise, I was very impressed, I met at least one of their managers, and it was just overall VERY GOOD. I also can't wait for the wine bar that will open next door as well.

Thread Information