Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norman getting another Car Dealership?

Default Norman getting another Car Dealership?

http://newsok.com/norman-neighborhoo...ne_norman-news

it's about 10 day old news, but hadn't seen anything on her about this yet

Default Re: Norman getting another Car Dealership?

Yeah. Norman is just really short on car dealerships. There just aren't enough car dealerships around. If only there could only be a whole mile of new cars on I-35, we wouldn't have this problem. Right guys?

Isn't there at least one unused care lot that could be reused in the area? Didn't at least a one or two go out of business after the recession?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Isn't there at least one unused care lot that could be reused in the area? Didn't at least a one or two go out of business after the recession?
    well and you had fowler toyota move off the mile and the built fowler honda there now... but were was fowler honda? isn't that space available?

The old Fowler Honda spot is tiny which is a big reason they moved.

6. Default Re: Norman getting another Car Dealership?

I really wish they would impose some landscaping requirements for the dealerships. Seeing nothing but car lots along I-35 is pretty drab. At some point enough has to be enough.

For my own curiosity as I have not been to Norman in a while, what has become of the old Mark Heitz dealership?

The old one was demolished and part of the lot is now a Whataburger while the rest is flat

I also heard that Arby's was going in on the west side of that property.

I thought Buffalo Wild Wings was going over at Mark Heitz old lot on the west side of Whataburger.

Again another example of horrible Norman planning. Basically the entire gateway to Norman, over a mile of it, is nothing but car lots. It looks horrible. Their latest addition is just a few feet away from Hey Day and all the family entertainment stuff off of Indian Hills. I don't know why I ever bought the UNP hype... The town is continuing to prove itself to be a small time operation.

12. Default Re: Norman getting another Car Dealership?

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Again another example of horrible Norman planning. Basically the entire gateway to Norman, over a mile of it, is nothing but car lots. It looks horrible. Their latest addition is just a few feet away from Hey Day and all the family entertainment stuff off of Indian Hills. I don't know why I ever bought the UNP hype... The town is continuing to prove itself to be a small time operation.
    Mmhmm. You would think we could get some of the kids who come through OU to move into positions of power and bring new ideas to the community from their hometowns.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    This. It's embarrassing.

Car sales are big money though so I don't think they'll be going anywhere.

At least I hope not or I'll be unemployed.

15. Default Re: Norman getting another Car Dealership?

Quote Originally Posted by BradR View Post
    Car sales are big money though so I don't think they'll be going anywhere.

At least I hope not or I'll be unemployed.
    While that is a given, I think they should take more responsibility in minimizing the eyesore-ness of their establishments. I-35 from Main to Robinson is just repulsive now. Of course the massive concrete walls don't help much (well they help stopping semis going crazy). However, I would much rather seen dozens of trees planted along this section to help break up the the sea of cars.

Almost all of the dealerships along the mile really do have outdated, ugly buildings and lots needing repair although a couple are renovating and trying to do some upkeep.

Is this because a lot more people are buying cars? Particularly In Norman?

The gateway of Edmond is nothing but car dealerships....Duh its big buisness and it's not going anywhere.

You're correct and car dealerships by their nature are never going to be particularly attractive. Of course they should be well maintained and landscaped but they all have large parking areas full of, well, cars. Until people quit buying cars we're going to have them around. At least Norman doesn't have the Mile of Salvage Yards, lol.

Car dealerships don't tend to have trees. Trees attract birds. Birds poo ... a lot.

Think of treeless car lots as a water conservation measure.

21. Default Re: Norman getting another Car Dealership?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Car dealerships don't tend to have trees. Trees attract birds. Birds poo ... a lot.

Sure we don't want a ton of trees in the lots themselves, but maybe between I-35 and the service road to create a nice natural barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Sure we don't want a ton of trees in the lots themselves, but maybe between I-35 and the service road to create a nice natural barrier.
    I couldn't agree more with you on this one. Would be a huge improvement to the area.

Trying to recall anywhere I've come across a tree line parked between an interstate and its companion service road. Drawing a blank.

As for the poo issue, not sure that setting a row of trees across the frontage road would do a lot to preclude that particular problem. Might be wrong.

24. Default Re: Norman getting another Car Dealership?

Trying to recall anywhere I've come across a tree line parked between an interstate and its companion service road. Drawing a blank.

As for the poo issue, not sure that setting a row of trees across the frontage road would do a lot to preclude that particular problem. Might be wrong.
    It is something that would green up the area and break up the monotony of just a sea of cars. Go back north and east and there are plenty of interstates lined directly with trees - including having a canopy directly overhead of the roadway.

25. Default Re: Norman getting another Car Dealership?

Wanted to follow up on this since I actually paid attention driving home from work yesterday. Most of all the newly built car dealerships actually had a decent number of trees on their perimeter (between I-35 and the lot). Fowler Hondo being the exception as they do have trees, but went with just a few here and there and they are pretty small as well.

Thread Information