Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24hr Fitness

Default 24hr Fitness

I was working at LA Fitness today and learned they have been bought out by 24hr Fitness. This is both of their locations Moore and Edmond. both of these locations struggled since they opened almost 2yrs ago in Edmond, and longer in Moore.

Default Re: 24hr Fitness

Just joined today since they will offer 24 hour access. I'm sure Anytime Fitness down the street isn't thrilled since I think their dues are higher.

The new LA Fitnesses have struggled? Man I hate to hear that, both from a business perspective and a public health perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    The new LA Fitnesses have struggled? Man I hate to hear that, both from a business perspective and a public health perspective.
    As far as public health perspective goes: LA Fitness is one of, if not the, most expensive gym in the area (now that park harvey is also gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    As far as public health perspective goes: LA Fitness is one of, if not the, most expensive gym in the area (now that park harvey is also gone)
    Okay, maybe "public health" was a bad choice of words, maybe "give a damn about ones well being" is what I was thinking of? If LA Fitness is struggling, maybe my dream of getting a Lifetime Fitness will be a pipe dream (despite Pete saying they are close).

My wife had a LA Fitness membership in Texas for years up until recently. It was $25 a month. Is it different at these locations? Because that seems reasonable...

Yeah when I was in DFW LA wasn't anymore than what we pay for Anytime now

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    My wife had a LA Fitness membership in Texas for years up until recently. It was $25 a month. Is it different at these locations? Because that seems reasonable...
    It was $55 per month for my wife and me so not too bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	11830

30 per month isn't bad, but what is the 99 initiation fee about?!

I pay over $30 at Golds just for myself, so that doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	11830

30 per month isn't bad, but what is the 99 initiation fee about?!
    I got in on the last day of LA prices so not sure. My guess is they will run a big promo soon and waive the $99 fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Just joined today since they will offer 24 hour access. I'm sure Anytime Fitness down the street isn't thrilled since I think their dues are higher.
    They aren't 24 hour access from what I can tell. At least according to the website. Did an employee say they were 24 hours? Do you know if the hours on the website are just staffed hours?

I was considering switching from Fitness One but decided against it because I need a 24 hour gym. And I don't want to pay a $150 initiation fee or $40 annual dues. Maybe they will have some signup deal and waive these.

Gee, those gym memberships seem real cheap to me. I ditched Golds Gym when Mercy I-35 opened their fitness center. Seem so much more high end and no hip or what ever the baboomp music they were playing all the time was. Lots of older people and a much nicer atmosphere at Mercy. Also much more on my way to things. Gold's
    gym is an just a bunch of buckets on the floor everytime it rain. The pool seemed small and cramped and I never used it. The pool area is so so much nicer at Mercy and you look out at woods. I did not think the $63 a month was too high. Everything is so nice and clean and well maintained.

*looking up mercy gym*
    *edit*
    DIdn't look bad. The hours killed it, and the virtual tour (literally virtual) didn't look like it included any free weights

Quote Originally Posted by seaofchange View Post
    They aren't 24 hour access from what I can tell. At least according to the website. Did an employee say they were 24 hours? Do you know if the hours on the website are just staffed hours?

I was considering switching from Fitness One but decided against it because I need a 24 hour gym. And I don't want to pay a $150 initiation fee or $40 annual dues. Maybe they will have some signup deal and waive these.
    Asked this morning when I went in and they are still under their LA hours but they said the goal was to switch to 24 hours by the week of Dec 7th

Isn't that when 2016 fiscal year starts?

i pay $10/month at fitness 19, but it's no frills for sure. it's got what i need, though - cardio equipment and weights. no pool, showers, track, ball court, etc.

18. Default Re: 24hr Fitness

$59/month for my wife and I at the Y and $99/month for the two of us at Mercy Health.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    $59/month for my wife and I at the Y and $99/month for the two of us at Mercy Health.
    Which one are you currently using? Just one or both? I've heard Mercy is the nicest around.

20. Default Re: 24hr Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Which one are you currently using? Just one or both? I've heard Mercy is the nicest around.
    Both. We only keep the Y membership (been a member for over 18 years) because my wife works downtown and likes to workout some days after work to avoid the traffic.

I primarily go to Mercy. I REALLY like it because its so close to my house and so nice. County club quality locker rooms, great staff, no meat heads, really good equipment and good classes/instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Okay, maybe "public health" was a bad choice of words, maybe "give a damn about ones well being" is what I was thinking of? If LA Fitness is struggling, maybe my dream of getting a Lifetime Fitness will be a pipe dream (despite Pete saying they are close).
    I've been a member of the Edmond LA since they opened. It is by far the nicest most complete gym in the area, so if it is struggling that is a really bad sign, especially for the price. So if LA is struggling I really don't see Life Time coming, apparently OKC people just don't respect or value nice gyms.

Although to be fair, LA fitness has never done any real advertising, at all. They also pushed the opening date many many times, and completely missed the initial New Years rush. They have also had a revolving door of management from before they opened until now. I know of at least 6 general managers over 2 years. Their rules for running classes and their instructors really hurt the classes. And there is zero air flow in the cardio area and cycle studio, which hurt the atmosphere. I knew they struggled for the first 6 months, but it seemed fine nowadays. The do have a better free weight area than even Life Time.

I am really surprised the one in Moore isn't doing well, it is a nice place with higher end equipment.

*looking up mercy gym*
    *edit*
    DIdn't look bad. The hours killed it, and the virtual tour (literally virtual) didn't look like it included any free weights
    They have a very small, tiny, section of free weights. So if you are actually into weights, it is not a place for you. Everything else about it seemed nice when I did my tour, though.

I will say the LA Fitness in Edmond, at least, was always very well maintained while the 24hr fitness in Edmond definitely was not. The two gyms really aren't even in the same class. So this really worries me about the future of this gym, which is really the only nice full service gym in Edmond. (Edmond Gold's is not maintained at all and is overcrowded, Mitch Park Y has a tiny, overcrowded workout area, Mercy has basically no free weights)

Edit: I realized I was confusing 24hr fitness with fitness 19. I don't think I've ever been in a 24hr fitness, so hopefully my worries aren't justified.

23. Default Re: 24hr Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I've been a member of the Edmond LA since they opened. It is by far the nicest most complete gym in the area, so if it is struggling that is a really bad sign, especially for the price. So if LA is struggling I really don't see Life Time coming, apparently OKC people just don't respect or value nice gyms.

Although to be fair, LA fitness has never done any real advertising, at all. They also pushed the opening date many many times, and completely missed the initial New Years rush. They have also had a revolving door of management from before they opened until now. I know of at least 6 general managers over 2 years. Their rules for running classes and their instructors really hurt the classes. And there is zero air flow in the cardio area and cycle studio, which hurt the atmosphere. I knew they struggled for the first 6 months, but it seemed fine nowadays. The do have a better free weight area than even Life Time.

I am really surprised the one in Moore isn't doing well, it is a nice place with higher end equipment.

They have a very small, tiny, section of free weights. So if you are actually into weights, it is not a place for you. Everything else about it seemed nice when I did my tour, though.
    I'd agree it's not an extensive free-weight area. I also know that's by design. It lessens their liability, keeps the unnecessary grunting to a minimum and attracts the members they are targeting, while keeping the 'gym rats' to a minimum.

A handful of locally known athletes workout there and seem to find the free weights adequate.

I use them, but only for a few days a week in the very early morning - so, its never busy.

The free weight area is comparable to any larger YMCA I've ever visited.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    i pay $10/month at fitness 19, but it's no frills for sure. it's got what i need, though - cardio equipment and weights. no pool, showers, track, ball court, etc.
    I figure its gyms like fitness 19, 10 gym, golds gym express is why higher end gyms like this one aren't doing so well.

LA Fitness and 24 Hour Fitness Agree on Club Exchange | For-profits content from Club Industry

LA Fitness and 24 Hour Fitness Agree to Club Exchange
    The club exchange means 24 Hour Fitness will not have a presence in Arizona now but will enter the Oklahoma market while LA Fitness exits the Oklahoma and Nebraska markets.

Thread Information