My understanding is slalom kayak Olympic events are a done deal for OKC as part of the 2028 Los Angeles Olympic Games.

I’ve heard rumblings about also getting softball, but nothing solid. Rowing/river events look unlikely.

However, we can count on OKC being on the international stage in July of 2028, and that’s a very big deal. The wheels are already turning behind the scenes with an RFP for an architecture group to oversee the needed improvements in and around the whitewater facility. A choice will be made in about a month and then the details will start to be formally planned, although that will largely be kept from the public until a formal announcement is made after the Paris Games this summer.

So, what will OKC look like by the time we draw international focus?

There will likely be lots of improvements to the Riversports area, such as 10,000+ seats, concessions, transportation, and some sort of mini Olympic Village. We could even see a small hotel constructed.

We’ve just learned the revised plan for the arena is to be substantially finished by June of 2028. Don’t know about the proposed surrounding development, but hopefully at least some of that will be finished as well.

OKANA will be rocking along (scheduled to open summer 2025) and maybe by that time the aquarium will be ready to go. They could also fast-track future phases.

OAK should be fully built out with tons of new-to-market restaurants and shops as well as the apartments, hotel and office building.

Convergence should be complete, including the hotel.

If things go to plan, Boardwalk at Bricktown should have the first 3 towers complete.

The MAPS 4 soccer stadium should be done or close to it. With any luck, we’ll see more development in the Producers Coop area.

The full LED system at Devon is scheduled to be complete in about a year from now.

I also think we’ll see lots of new hotels in the downtown and Bricktown areas; not specifically for the Olympics but because they are needed in general and the Games will provide a great date to aim for.