Widgets Magazine

Thread: Schlotzsky's on S. Air Depot

Blog Entries

Default Schlotzsky's on S. Air Depot

IMAG0774-1.jpg

Not sure if anyone has noticed this new location go up recently (which was odd because they closed a location at SE 15th and Air Depot years ago that was later demolished and replaced with an On Cue). Anyway, it's interesting because it is 2 stories, and the second story is (or will be) apartments! It's not a corporate store, it's owned by a franchisee, so it's not something we'd see more of I don't think.

(sorry if this is a duplicate thread, searched for schlotzsky with no results)

Default Re: Schlotzsky's on S. Air Depot

It's really good to see some sort of mixed use zoning in the suburbs; I'm surprised this is even allowed in MWC, but good stuff!

Commented on in a thread with multiple subjects, but it deserves one of it's own.
    The main reason the other Schlotzskys went out of business was their abyssmal service and filthy store. It was not the same franchisee, IIRC.
    I've only been in drive-thru, but I can say the food is great and service fast. The parking lot is awful - very disappointed there is no alternate exit. They could have easily had an exit point onto little street directly east or even on Fairchild.

And another question - how the heck do any residents get up to apartment(s)? Is there a stairway inside? My understanding is the manager will live there, but haven't figured out how there could be 4 apartments in that small space. Imagine waking up to a Cinnabon smell - yummy!

Holy cow! I guess this is what a snowball rolling downhill looks like. Good for the leadership in MWC.

Schlotzsky's franchisee tops new restaurant with upper crust apartments | News OK

The apartments are within walking or biking distance to the many stores and restaurants at Town Center Plaza and are perfect for somebody looking to live an urban lifestyle, the mayor added.

“It is a bold step for the city. We're changing a little from suburban America to urban America. It's time for Midwest City to adopt some of the architectural things going on around the country,” Fry said. “Sometimes, I think we need to think outside the box ... and this was a place we could do that.”

SCHlotzsky's aint nothing special....IMHO......

6. Default Re: Schlotzsky's on S. Air Depot

OH i love me some schlotzskys...it's different from anything else to say the least.

Lauri, the apartments are only 800sqft so they are pretty small. I believe one of the first articles about the place gave the impression that it was going to be one large residence, which is why it was thought the developer was moving in upstairs. That's not the case. If you look at the pictures in the article above, you get a pretty good indication of how small they are....which isn't reallly that small for an apartment, rather pretty average.

I've wondered if the smell would trickle up as well. Schlotszkys is fine and all, i just dont want everything i own to always smell like it. I'm sure there are ways to ensure the smells dont work their way up....any mixed-use developement with an eatery would have that problem.

7. Default Re: Schlotzsky's on S. Air Depot

I believe the 1st & 2nd floors are separated by a fire & smoke barrier which would likely prevent any smell from transferring upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    It's really good to see some sort of mixed use zoning in the suburbs; I'm surprised this is even allowed in MWC, but good stuff!
    Read the story in yesterday's Oklahoman. Good for this franchisee of raising the bar in OKC for mixed use development in the suburbs!

HangryHippo Guest

This is very cool. And I like what Midwest City's mayor had to say. It's past time for the Midwest to start thinking outside the box.

Thread Information