Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

Default Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

We currently get my husbands prescriptions at CVS. I believe after this month I am going to transfer all scripts to Walgreens. There are two things that I have found very irritating about the pharmacy at CVS.

1) Their computer system isn't linked between stores. If you use the pharmacy on the south side and happen to be by the north side store they won't have your prescriptions on file. Walgreen's systems are all linked and you can get your scripts filled at any one of their locations. At least this is what I have been told.

2) My husbands prevacid medication has been "lost in the system" by CVS. This is how it was explained to me by the pharmacist at CVS. We had this prescription transferred closer to our home at the CVS down the street. It was originally at a CVS near the hospital. He had 2 refills remaining. We went this week to get it refilled and they said it had been voided out of their system and they were not sure why. They believed it happened somewhere in between the transfer. Very irritating to have to call the doctor and ask for him to send a new prescription request over to the pharmacy so he could have his medication.
    When it rains it pours... but when the blessings come they overflow!

2. Default Re: Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

I've been using Walgreens for my prescriptions because of the fact their systems are linked. If nothing else, it comes handy in case you're traveling and need to refill your prescription for some reason.

I hope the move to Walgreens works well for you!

3. Default Re: Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

I have always liked walgreens ever since I started useing them. CVS to me just isn't cutting it somewhere. Plus to me walgreens is cheaper on there stuff then CVS, even when eckerd was around walgreens was still cheaper. And the service at walgreens I think is pretty quick they get you in and out as fast as they can and they are nice and easy to deal with. I will keep useing walgreens until they either close or something better shows up. And haveing there systems linked is a very good thing, loseing someones info on the computer is a bad thing, no telling who's hands that could end up in.

Keith Guest

Default Re: Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdaisy
    I've been using Walgreens for my prescriptions because of the fact their systems are linked. If nothing else, it comes handy in case you're traveling and need to refill your prescription for some reason.

I hope the move to Walgreens works well for you!
    I have always liked CVS pharmacy, but I am a little biased. My wife is a pharmacy technician at one of their stores .

We always used Eckerd's because it was a really small one where we got great customer service....with that being said, we are now switching. The biggest negative about CVS is the fact that their system isn't linked. It's just not good customer service; that alone is enough of a reason to transfer to Walgreens.

From what I understand Walgreens stored are linked. (brothers are pharmacist at Walgreens)

CVS, have never really heard good things about them.. they need to work on customer service and do some better marketing.
    Last edited by BricktownGuy; 11-18-2005 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling

7. Default Re: Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

I don't know about all Walgreens, but the one by me has people working there who understand the words coming out of my mouth and I can understand theirs as well. My local CVS stores are stuffed with foreigners who cannot communicate and don't care about customer service. When I complained about the incompetent help in their pharmacy (a problem not related to their communication skills), the store manager just kept saying the same words to me in the same monotone voice, "Thank you for telling me. I appreciate it." When I became totally exasperated by him, I asked, "You really don't give a crap what I say, do you?" His reply was, "Thank you for telling me. I appreciate it." My local Walgreens is always loaded with customers and I sometimes have to wait a while to get my prescriptions. Now I fully appreciate why that is, and I’m proud to stand in line there.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreOutsourcing View Post
    I don't know about all Walgreens, but the one by me has people working there who understand the words coming out of my mouth and I can understand theirs as well. My local CVS stores are stuffed with foreigners who cannot communicate and don't care about customer service. When I complained about the incompetent help in their pharmacy (a problem not related to their communication skills), the store manager just kept saying the same words to me in the same monotone voice, "Thank you for telling me. I appreciate it." When I became totally exasperated by him, I asked, "You really don't give a crap what I say, do you?" His reply was, "Thank you for telling me. I appreciate it." My local Walgreens is always loaded with customers and I sometimes have to wait a while to get my prescriptions. Now I fully appreciate why that is, and I’m proud to stand in line there.
    The sentence in bold and your poster name sums up your gripe well....I take it Walgreens doesn't hire foreigners?...Maybe they should put that on their sign to recruit more customers who have your same viewpoint

Don't really care what their nationality is...Want the best behind the counter when it comes to filling my prescriptions

Walgreens is a better store because everyone is always happy to help. The store is just so much easier to navigate than a CVS store. In Walgreens, nobody is exempt from using a cash register. If the front line is busy, the cosmetic counter and the photo lab people step up to checkout. I also like the fact that there are several 24 hour Walgreens around the city CVS only has two maybe three.

I never have liked how Eckerd/CVS have their medicine aisles setup. It makes you feel as if pharmacists are watching you from a guard tower. First of all I do not need help selecting my aspirin or cold medicine. Second if you are going to offer to help me leave the stupid counter and walk to me. Do not stand at the counter as if you are watching inmates in a prison.

My boyfriend and I had a terrific time at Walgreens when we were picking up his first prescriptions here in a new town and all. Even the checkout lady at the front was a sweetheart. I think we'll keep going there.

I like Walgreen's because they don't go around destroying old people's primary grocery story like CVS seems to have no trouble doing...

12. Default Re: Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

I prefer my Walgreen's. The CVS at 23rd and Classen has more people begging for money than the Walgreen's across the street! I don't know why...
    Still corrupting young minds

Walgreens wins hands down for me. It's too inviting in the same way the old TG&Y stores used to be, where the pharmacy is almost incidental to all the other silly little goodies you can get in there. They've got everything from soup-to-nuts in the place, for heaven's sake.

Walgreens fills everything correctly, they're rarely too busy to answer a question, and only once have I found myself even a bit crosswise with anything that's happened there.

CVS reminds me too much of Eckerds, and its legacy of errantly filled prescriptions.

-soonerdave

14. Default Re: Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Walgreens wins hands down for me. It's too inviting in the same way the old TG&Y stores used to be, where the pharmacy is almost incidental to all the other silly little goodies you can get in there. They've got everything from soup-to-nuts in the place, for heaven's sake.

Walgreens fills everything correctly, they're rarely too busy to answer a question, and only once have I found myself even a bit crosswise with anything that's happened there.

CVS reminds me too much of Eckerds, and its legacy of errantly filled prescriptions.

-soonerdave
    CVS reminds you of Eckerds because in the Oklahoma City market, they ARE Eckerds.

15. Default Re: Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

Well, they were...until CVS bought them out. At least, the Eckard's went some major renovations at 23rd and Classen when they became a CVS.
    Still corrupting young minds

16. Default Re: Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

CVS reminds you of Eckerds because in the Oklahoma City market, they ARE Eckerds.
    CVS Used to be Eckerds ... CVS bought them and did major renovations to the stores and changed a lot of things .. and now the consumer is paying for those renovations. They are soooooo expensive. Compared to the same exact things at Walgreens CVS is outrageously expensive.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

17. Default Re: Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

"CVS Used to be Eckerds ... CVS bought them and did major renovations to the stores and changed a lot of things "

Which is what I said.

i prefer walgreens, but honestly i'm pretty ticked at both companies. they're constantly building next to each other trying to squeeze the competitor out of business. as if every corner needs two pharmacies. as soon as one wins over the other, you can count on some vacant, useless buildings. to me, it shows a disregard for the community and both are guilty. -M

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    "CVS Used to be Eckerds ... CVS bought them and did major renovations to the stores and changed a lot of things "

Which is what I said.
    That's not what you said. You actually said...
    Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    But they are NOT Eckerd's. They WERE Eckerd's, which were bought out by CVS and renovated and changed....

20. Default Re: Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    i prefer walgreens, but honestly i'm pretty ticked at both companies. they're constantly building next to each other trying to squeeze the competitor out of business. as if every corner needs two pharmacies. as soon as one wins over the other, you can count on some vacant, useless buildings. to me, it shows a disregard for the community and both are guilty. -M
    That is what competitors are suppose to do. Drive the other guy out of business. I have always taken the stand (yes, I know. You people will not agree, as usual) that your competitor is the enemy. Afterall, they are out to get YOU, so, you must fight back. And a good way is to locate next door, across the street, or anywhere in sight of them.

Plus. Never worry about empty buildings. For one, they will both survive, and two, most empty buildings are resold or leased fairly quicky.

The former CVS pharmacy on 12th & Santa Fe (Moore) that sits across from a Walgreens has been vacant for around two years now... what's your definition of quickly?

I agree that's what business is supposed to do... and I'm not suggesting that government get in the way of free competition. However, the consumer is sometimes caught in the crossfire when two companies duke it out and I think that's what is happening here. -M

22. Default Re: Walgreens vs. CVS Pharmacy

"The former CVS pharmacy on 12th & Santa Fe (Moore) that sits across from a Walgreens has been vacant for around two years now... what's your definition of quickly?"

Keep in mind... I said MOST, not all.

I use Walgreen's but I try to stay away from the S 59th and Penn 24 hour store. O short dark haired pharmacist there took my prescriptions that are covered by my insurance. She looked to me in a snotty way and said "Do you realize this costs a thousand dollars a month?". I answered "really?" and didn't tongue lash her like I wanted to. I use the S 29th and May store now and they are very pleasant, even when they are very busy with lots of confused customers.

Does anyone actually use those red CVS discount cards? I wish they'd just mark down their high prices instead of forcing me to carry and present the darn thing to get a minimal savings! It's all about consumer tracking and I hate it. However, my insurance isn't accepted at Walgreens or I'd switch in an instant.

I use the Walgreens at NE 12 & Eastern in Moore. I have always had good service and the prices are in line with Target the other Pharmacy I sometimes use. From reading the 24 posts before this one I don't think I will be using CVS.

Thread Information