Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Humphreys Ferris Wheel

1. Default Humphreys Ferris Wheel

I wonder what he will do with this?

SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- The Santa Monica Pier's iconic Ferris wheel has become a wheel of fortune for an area charity.

The ride was sold at auction on eBay on Friday for $132,400, with half the proceeds going to Special Olympics Southern California.

The owners of the Pacific Park amusement park decided to get a more modern Ferris wheel and auction off the current one, with a starting bid of $50,000.

The 10-day auction ended Friday, and real estate developer Grant Humphreys, CEO of Humphreys Real Estate Investments in Oklahoma City, put in the top bid.

"He is a nostalgic guy and there is nothing more nostalgic than a Ferris wheel," said Gayle Wilson, controller for Humphreys Real Estate Investments.

Humphrey, 32, his wife and four children will travel to California on May 3 to take one of the last rides on the wheel. The company is likely to incorporate the Ferris wheel into one of its developments, Wilson said.

The real estate company is "all about creating communities where people can have good experiences," she said.

The Ferris wheel was put up for auction April 15. It cost $800,000 when it was installed at the pier's Pacific Park amusement park in 1996. It was upgraded two years later to become the world's first solar-powered Ferris wheel.

April 15 Video

"This has been a great process in finding a new home for the Ferris wheel and we are especially excited to be able to present Special Olympics Southern California with such a large and well-deserved donation," said Jeff Klocke, director of marketing and sales at the pier's Pacific Park.

Over the last 12 years, more than 3 million people have taken a ride on the wheel.

The wheel will be replaced with a $1.5 million contemporary Ferris wheel next month. Installation is expected to begin May 5, with a grand opening ceremony set for May 22.

Starting Monday, Santa Monica residents can ride the Ferris wheel for free, and on Thursday one resident will be selected to be the last rider on the Pacific Wheel.

On May 4, all guests will be allowed to ride for free and Pacific Park will donate $1 per rider to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles.

The Pacific Wheel has been in 105 photo shoots, 71 television commercials, 69 television shows, 28 films and 13 music videos, according to Pacific Park. At night, the wheel is illuminated with 5,392 light bulbs.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Default Re: Humphreys Ferris Wheel

Thanks for posting, I love old stuff like this and would love to check it out.

3. Default Re: Humphreys Ferris Wheel

Interesting....

Somewhere along the Oklahoma River would be fantastic.

4. Default Re: Humphreys Ferris Wheel

Wouldn't it be too cool to have along the river?

5. Default Re: Humphreys Ferris Wheel

lol, cue twilight zone music, we posted exactly the same thought at the same exact time!

The whole post makes me think of one of my favorite TV shows, Carnivale!

7. Default Re: Humphreys Ferris Wheel

Great minds think alike.

8. Default Re: Humphreys Ferris Wheel

Why not a whole amusement park pier going on one of the lakes?

likely to incorporate the Ferris wheel into one of its developments
    Doesn't he now control what was the former downtown airport and surrounding property?

Maybe that's what he has in mind.

This will be along the Oklahoma River, probably around the downtown airpark that Humphreys purchased. Remember, I said this about a year or two back, glad to see it actually happening. When I saw the thread, I thought it was going to be asking if anything ever happened. Go Grant!!!!

I'll try and dig up that old post.

ah yes, here is that old post I created 2+ years ago! Looks like he couldn't get his hands on the "world's largest" but this will still be iconic and nostalgic.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...n+ferris+wheel

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    ah yes, here is that old post I created 2+ years ago! Looks like he couldn't get his hands on the "world's largest" but this will still be iconic and nostalgic.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...n+ferris+wheel
    Actually, Metro, you were close. You were predicting a carousel. Grant just bought a Ferris Wheel, which was actually mentioned in your thread. The idea of a big Ferris Wheel along the river would be a show stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    Actually, Metro, you were close. You were predicting a carousel. Grant just bought a Ferris Wheel, which was actually mentioned in your thread. The idea of a big Ferris Wheel along the river would be a show stopper.
    I wonder what it will take to make this thing safe to ride? Placing it next to the river gives me visions of the movie "1942" when the ferris wheel when rolling off into the ocean.

14. Default Re: Humphreys Ferris Wheel

likely to incorporate the Ferris wheel into one of its developments
    Does anyone have info on Humphrys developments here in OK and elsewhere?

Oh I've been to the Santa Monica pier many times and I know that ferris wheel very well. That's really cool! I hope he puts it to good use and can re-create some of the ambiance that has surrounded the ferris wheel for so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Oh I've been to the Santa Monica pier many times and I know that ferris wheel very well. That's really cool! I hope he puts it to good use and can re-create some of the ambiance that has surrounded the ferris wheel for so many years.
    I know, the fact it's that Ferris Wheel makes it that much cooler.

I wonder how people around there feel about it disappearing? I mean, seriously, when I think of the Santa Monica Pier, that's what I picture.

This will be cool sight on the Oklahoma River.

18. Default Re: Humphreys Ferris Wheel

Great pics.. if only this would happen on our river.. but I'm not getting excited about it until I hear something more.

Anyone know where his other developments might be if he has any?

I think one of his other big projects is the Flat Iron Building project. And then the old downtown airpark.

The only place this makes sense is at the old airpark property by the river. In some other condo/townhouse development just would be too limited. They will need to turn money from this and it will have to be where the general public can have access.

Reading through some of those old threads about possibilities along the Oklahoma River, the idea of the boardwalk and Ferris Wheel seemed to excite a lot of people. Maybe Grant picked up on the buzz and liked the concept. Or, maybe Grant introduced the concept here as a trial balloon. Just a thought - you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    Does anyone have info on Humphrys developments here in OK and elsewhere?
    His website has a list of projects they are involved in. Check it out here
    Humphreys Real Estate Investments

The Ferris wheel along the River works good for London.

- Block 42
    - The Flatiron
    - Downtown Airpark (river property)

Interesting how the former mayor's brother ends up with these prime properties. I see Kirk is Chairman of the company.

There's a reason why someone making six figures would spend hundreds of thousands to get elected to a $24k a year job. It's all about networking and making those connections....

Thread Information