Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beautification Projects

MAPS4 Beautification Projects

The MAPS 4 Citizen Advisory Board is set to approve a $33 million beautification master plan for various improvements throughout Oklahoma City.

MAPS 4 was approved by voters on September 14, 2021. Part of the anticipated $1.1 billion budget was allocated to help transform the appearance of Oklahoma City with targeted investments in beautification.

The projects will cost approximately $28 million while $5 million will be placed in an operating fund to provide permanent staff dedicated to beautification and ongoing maintenance.

Default Re: Beautification Projects

Sorely needed.

3. Default Re: Beautification Projects

Ambitious but VERY exciting. I just hope they keep up with it all too. That's a lot of plants to keep properly maintained so they don't just get grown over by grass.

Definitely an amazing way to spruce up the blah look of all of these concrete areas.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Ambitious but VERY exciting. I just hope they keep up with it all too. That's a lot of plants to keep properly maintained so they don't just get grown over by grass.

Definitely an amazing way to spruce up the blah look of all of these concrete areas.
    Maintenance. . . X1000!! Does anyone know if there is any $ committed to maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    Maintenance. . . X1000!! Does anyone know if there is any $ committed to maintenance?
    From the original post:

The projects will cost approximately $28 million while $5 million will be placed in an operating fund to provide permanent staff dedicated to beautification and ongoing maintenance.

Oklahoma City should implement a policy that mandates tract house neighborhood developers to plant trees along the roads within these neighborhoods, similar to the requirements for commercial projects. This is everywhere and so painful to look at.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-03 084035.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	19120

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Oklahoma City should implement a policy that mandates tract house neighborhood developers to plant trees along the roads within these neighborhoods, similar to the requirements for commercial projects. This is everywhere and so painful to look at.Click image for larger version. 

ID:	19120
    What are the policies for new neighborhoods? I know sidewalks have to be installed, but is that about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    From the original post:
    This is one of the most important projects the city is undertaking. Freeways, expressways, medians etc. are the front porch to any city and we've sorely lacked in these areas. Living out of state now, any time I drive in, the lack of attention to these areas is astonishing relative to the momentum this city has. A task force needs to be assigned to weed control, trash pick, transient clean up along the interstates, exits and medians. Just off the top of my head, the I-44 and Penn exit is such a blight. Should be a showcase as it leads to Penn Square Mall, Oak etc. yet the city has never attempted to remedy it. Look at the below pics I just took from google maps that were shot last month. Looks like something you'd see from Southside Chicago. City can and must do better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6892.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	19121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6891.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	19122

Blog Entries

These beautification projects will really hit the spot; especially the Route 66 overhang.

Quote Originally Posted by LRSooner View Post
    This is one of the most important projects the city is undertaking. Freeways, expressways, medians etc. are the front porch to any city and we've sorely lacked in these areas. Living out of state now, any time I drive in, the lack of attention to these areas is astonishing relative to the momentum this city has. A task force needs to be assigned to weed control, trash pick, transient clean up along the interstates, exits and medians. Just off the top of my head, the I-44 and Penn exit is such a blight. Should be a showcase as it leads to Penn Square Mall, Oak etc. yet the city has never attempted to remedy it. Look at the below pics I just took from google maps that were shot last month. Looks like something you'd see from Southside Chicago. City can and must do better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6892.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	19121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6891.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	19122
    It's not precisely what this beautification is for but that old gas station lot at Penn and 44 really needs something to happen to it. I assume soil remediation would have to happen on account of the gas tanks, so presumably an expensive issue.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It's not precisely what this beautification is for but that old gas station lot at Penn and 44 really needs something to happen to it. I assume soil remediation would have to happen on account of the gas tanks, so presumably an expensive issue.
    I'm 99% sure it was built after the Great Gas Tank Replacement Project of the late 1980s. So, soil remediation shouldn't as big an expense. Homeless population by the creek is a bigger issue, IIRC. Although Pete would know much better than I.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I don't think remediation is the issue.

7-11 had it under contract but the City let the ridiculous situation at I-44 & Penn go on for so long, they backed out.

A much better job has been done in the last year or so, but the City let that go and continue to build for decades. I live nearby and was part of a neighborhood group that was all over this for many, many years.

It's actually pretty decent now so hopefully it will soon sell. It's owned by the eExpress people and don't know why they just don't build there. Frankly, they've been terrible property owners.

Surprised this says nothing about sidewalks. This stretch of Reno doesn't have sidewalks for some unknown reason.

Quote Originally Posted by okcrun View Post
    Surprised this says nothing about sidewalks. This stretch of Reno doesn't have sidewalks for some unknown reason.
    Sidewalks are a separate project, although I don't see anything under the Better Streets initiative for that area.

There may be another funding source.

Love this.

One of the cheapest ways to help dress things up, caulk. Caulking or sealing the cracks and joints along interstates to prevent the inevitable weeds and plants that will grow out of them.

Sidewalks are a separate project, although I don't see anything under the Better Streets initiative for that area.

There may be another funding source.
    This is what l found under the 2017 bond issue. Sidewalks start on project 212, l believe.

https://data.okc.gov/portal/page/vie...ets&view=table

From the original post: The projects will cost approximately $28 million while $5 million will be placed in an operating fund to provide permanent staff dedicated to beautification and ongoing maintenance.
    While this would add jobs to the local economy, I feel that $28M is significantly under budget for the visions taking place. If they allocated something along the lines of $80M-$100M, They could completely go all out with this, such as the beautification of bridges along these roads and whatnot. But this seems like this is budgeted for disappointment. I want to be optimistic, but I can't see all of this happening with such a strict budget.

I'm with Oski.

Count me as disappointed with the scope here. I'm sure it was the "mission" that was handed to the design task force, but this initiative feels aimed at momentarily impressing people driving 60-70 mph. I wish the $28M could be directed solely at neighborhood and local corridor beautification (e.g., street trees, which are sorely needed in almost every neighborhood not named Heritage Hills or Mesta Park"). I couldn't care less about whether long haul truckers think OKC's overpasses and cloverleafs are appropriately landscaped. I want the City to create thriving, beautiful neighborhoods and local commercial corridors that make OKC a great place to live.

It's a start, just like sidewalks and trails and park improvements have been continuous and incremental.

OKC is massive geographically and you have to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by coatesindc View Post
    I'm with Oski.

Count me as disappointed with the scope here. I'm sure it was the "mission" that was handed to the design task force, but this initiative feels aimed at momentarily impressing people driving 60-70 mph. I wish the $28M could be directed solely at neighborhood and local corridor beautification (e.g., street trees, which are sorely needed in almost every neighborhood not named Heritage Hills or Mesta Park"). I couldn't care less about whether long haul truckers think OKC's overpasses and cloverleafs are appropriately landscaped. I want the City to create thriving, beautiful neighborhoods and local commercial corridors that make OKC a great place to live.
    The vast majority of people who visit OKC will be going through these areas. As we look to welcome the world in 2028 for the Olympics, these projects are going to be front and center. Maybe they will even entice a few folks to move here, at which point they can begin agitating for better neighborhood beautification.

This is very strategic in allocating funds - gussy up the areas with highest throughput/where first impressions are most likely to be formed. That "Airport Approach" project in particular seems really well planned and aligned with targeting visitors to OKC.

[QUOTE=Oski;1275372]Oklahoma City should implement a policy that mandates tract house neighborhood developers to plant trees along the roads within these neighborhoods, similar to the requirements for commercial projects. This is everywhere and so painful to look at.Click image for larger version. 

ID:	19120[/QUOTE

South May Avenue tree canopy was devastated recently with Asplundh shearing half the tree canopy of each tree. Most trees left were so damaged they had to be removed entirely. My neighborhood was built 15 years ago and the requirement was one 2 inch diameter tree in the front yard.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    What are the policies for new neighborhoods? I know sidewalks have to be installed, but is that about it?
    I believe all new construction is required to have a minimum 2-3 inch caliper tree. I think two on corner lots

Problem is trees need watered heavily and maintained the first few years before it’s established and can survive. Many homeowners don’t then take proper care so they don’t live. I saw that play out in my last neighborhood where after 7 years only about 5 of the 70 homes had trees remaining

Same thing occurred along south western around 104th. Not only does it look terrible, but I’m not sure the trees will survive.

Thread Information