Widgets Magazine

Thread: Frisco Cemetery - What's been ground off the monument?

1. Default Frisco Cemetery - What's been ground off the monument?

Does anyone know what was originally on the Frisco Cemetery monument? It's an old cemetery on Britton Rd between Frisco and Richland. There is a monument just inside the main gate detailing some of the cemetery's history, and part of that has very obviously been excised (picture here). I've Googled around but I'm not having any luck.

Default Re: Frisco Cemetery - What's been ground off the monument?

I think sometimes it's better to leave some things undiscovered.

3. Default Re: Frisco Cemetery - What's been ground off the monument?

Well, crap. Now I want to know.

4. Default Re: Frisco Cemetery - What's been ground off the monument?

Maybe it was a typo.

Just a guess but perhaps the wording which was removed prohibited certain folk from becoming worm food on those plots?

20 some years ago in Colorado Springs, I picked up a book about famous Outlaws and Lawmen in the West. Low and behold Frisco Cemetery in Yukon was in the book - some famous lawman named Chris Madsen is buried there.

Quote Originally Posted by liirogue View Post
    Does anyone know what was originally on the Frisco Cemetery monument? It's an old cemetery on Britton Rd between Frisco and Richland. There is a monument just inside the main gate detailing some of the cemetery's history, and part of that has very obviously been excised (picture here). I've Googled around but I'm not having any luck.
    Did you check with the Oklahoma Historical Society? Their Archives section may have something.

8. Default Re: Frisco Cemetery - What's been ground off the monument?

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Did you check with the Oklahoma Historical Society? Their Archives section may have something.
    Excellent idea, I will give that a shot!

9. Default Re: Frisco Cemetery - What's been ground off the monument?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Just a guess but perhaps the wording which was removed prohibited certain folk from becoming worm food on those plots?
    That was my guess too. Revisionist history. "Who, US? We would NEVER do something like that!"

10. Default Re: Frisco Cemetery - What's been ground off the monument?

It took quite a bit of calling around but I finally got in touch with the elderly lady in charge of the cemetery. She was a little leery at first wanting to know why I wanted to know about the original wording but she ended up telling a pretty interesting story.

Her great grandfather owned the farm (that she still lives on) and deeded that piece of land to the cemetery and that there was originally a small church on the plot as well. She said her great grandfather came from Missouri and at that time the Mormons were spreading quickly and had a reputation for taking over churches. So the section that has been ground off said that all Christian faiths were welcome at the church except the Mormons. The lady said there were a bunch of articles written about it and it stirred up quite a bit of trouble. That led to the women’s group in charge of the cemetery deciding to remove that sentence. She didn’t say when this occurred, but it sounded like it was some point during her lifetime. She was quick to point out that Mormons could be buried in the cemetery, and several were, they just weren’t allowed to use the church.

I asked if she had a picture of the original monument and she does, but it’s not in any kind of digital format. She sounded fairly elderly so I didn’t think there was a good chance of getting her to scan it in and email it to me

So now I’m curious about the newspaper articles. I assume they pre-date the Internet since nothing comes up on Google. Perhaps one of them would contain a picture or an exact quote of what was excised.

11. Default Re: Frisco Cemetery - What's been ground off the monument?

Success! I found an article from the Daily Oklahoman dated May 24, 1984 that briefly describes the inscription. Per the article "The monument notes the cemetery was stipulated for use by 'Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Christian denominations. Any other must obtain consent of trustee. Latter Day Saints and Mormons to be excluded.'" [bolding mine]

So as of 1984 the original language was still there. I couldn't find any articles about the controversy that led to the removal.

Great research! Glad you solved the mystery!

Quote Originally Posted by liirogue View Post
    Success! I found an article from the Daily Oklahoman dated May 24, 1984 that briefly describes the inscription. Per the article "The monument notes the cemetery was stipulated for use by 'Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Christian denominations. Any other must obtain consent of trustee. Latter Day Saints and Mormons to be excluded.'" [bolding mine]

So as of 1984 the original language was still there. I couldn't find any articles about the controversy that led to the removal.
    Fascinating. Great job tracking the woman down and then finding the Daily Oklahoman story. Love this kind of stuff!

Thread Information