Widgets Magazine

Thread: Favorite Movie Theater

Patrick Guest

Default Favorite Movie Theater

Hey guys, this should probably belong in the Poll Vault, but since it realtes more to this forum, I thought I'd include it here. Anyways, what's your favorite movie theater in the metro area?

I'd vote for AMC Quail Springs 24, just for appearance, but I usually go to Cinemakr Tinsletown 20, because of the price....it's a stadium seating theater for only $4.25 matinee price......that's $2.25 cheaper than AMC.

I think the Bricktown Harkins 16 is layed out very similar to Tinsletown, only a tad bit smaller.

I still go to Penn Square Dickinson 10 occasionally...it's close, and hey, half of their screens are stadium seating.

2. Default Re: Favorite Movie Theater

Any clean second run theater. First run is way too expensive.

Let me see. Do I spend nearly ten bucks to see a movie just to say I saw it just after it was released, or do I save 8.50 or more and wait? You do the math. No, most people would fail the math test. I will save my money and spend the difference elsewhere. I can wait.

Default Re: Favorite Movie Theater

Student discount makes it affordable

I'd vote for Harkins because it's close to home.

Patrick Guest

mranderson....I'd have to agree with you...I do find myself at Northpark Cinema more frequently than I do at first run movie theaters. Can't beat 50 cent movies all day Tuesday. The Interstate Theater at Crossroads has the same deal!

Keith Guest

I still like to go to the Crossroads Regal Cinema, where they have all stadium seating. When people ask me what the last movie was that I saw at a theater, I am really hesitant, because I don't go very often.

My family of 4 went to see The Incredible's at the Crossroads Regal, and it cost $24.00 for the tickets...and that was for the matinee (before they start charging you an arm and a leg). I thought that was expensive, so just think how I would feel if I went to the evening showing and paid THAT price. That doesn't include the popcorn and the drinks.

I am like mranderson....why spend all that money on movies at the theater, when you can go rent the movie, later when it comes out on DVD. Either give me a movie at a theater that costs $1.00, or let me just rent it. I am not the type that has to see a movie when it first comes out.

6. Default Re: Favorite Movie Theater

After much thought and deliberation on this, I've come to the conclusion that my favorite theater is the one I happen to be in at whatever moment I happen to be in that theater.

1adam12 Guest

What's a movie theatre? I can't remember the last time I went to one. Let's see, no social life=no time for movies .

The closest I get to seeing a movie is when I am patrolling around a theater, and see the advertisements in the windows. Seriously, when I go I like to go to Tinsletown (sp?)

8. Default Re: Favorite Movie Theater

I live closest to Dickinson's Penn Square 10, but I'll usually go to either Tinseltown or the Harkins in Bricktown, mostly because there's more of an "event" atmosphere: I'm doing something special by going to the movies.

Some things, though, never play here except at the AMC in Quail Springs, and they deserve credit for that.

My favorite theater is Harkins. Plus, its the closest one. My next favorite would be AMC, but its further.

10. Default Re: Favorite Movie Theater

Quote Originally Posted by El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
    After much thought and deliberation on this, I've come to the conclusion that my favorite theater is the one I happen to be in at whatever moment I happen to be in that theater.
    This week, I have seen two movies at two different theaters...Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events at the Qual Springs AMC (The late showing on Tuedsay, I'm the loud laughing guy) and Ocean's Twelve at the new Harkins downtown on Thursday night. I have to say, without a shadow of a doubt, that both theaters seemed the same to me. Maybe it's just me but I didn't see any major difference in the two. Both movies were good by the way.

11. Default Re: Favorite Movie Theater

I prefer AMC 24 at Quail for every reason, including "Mall Convenience", the food court to cut down on "eating out", and other things to do before the movie starts. Also, the screens and seats are comfortable...

HOWEVER, of late I have had WAY TOO MANY bad experiences with Jr.High/High School KIDS on their phones and/or screwing around in the theater, creating a complete an utter distraction

For that reason (and rising prices at AMC), I enjoy going to Harkins just as much now, because I've witnessed fewer distractions in the last year or so.

I like the Harkins in Bricktown first, and that's where I'll try to go first on those rare times when I bother to try going to the movies anymore. If not there, I like to go to the AMC 24 in Quail Springs, but its sooooooo darned far to drive from where I live. The Regal by Crossroads is OK, but nothing special.

The bigger problem is that listing those theaters implies I go to the movies a bunch, and I don't. We took the kids to see the awful "Happy Feet," and both of my kids wanted to leave before it was over (which I gladly obliged, it was a piece of garbage), and before that there might have been two or three movies *this year* I've bothered to attend.

-soonerdave

13. Default Re: Favorite Movie Theater

Bricktown for us. Nothing better than a 10am Saturday movie. Decent price and virtually nobody in the theatre. After that we take in a Bricktown eatery. That is our once a month endulgence. Otherwise it's TIVO or maybe the cheap theatre at Crossroads. Unfortunately, cheap movie + family rating = bus loads of kids and parents with no control over them.

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    Some things, though, never play here except at the AMC in Quail Springs, and they deserve credit for that.
    Window,

What do you mean? Indies, foreign film, classics?

Thanks

15. Default Re: Favorite Movie Theater

Generally, anything that doesn't open fairly wide, say 500 screens or more nationally, will get at most two houses in Oklahoma City, and one of those will almost always be the AMC at Quail. (This week, of course, is an exception: Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny was apparently passed up by AMC and is showing at Harkins and Tinseltown.)

Lately AMC has been pushing something called "AMC Select," which suggests some degree of exclusivity. I wish they'd had it back in the spring of '04, when they booked, and then canceled, Bertolucci's The Dreamers. (It did play in Tulsa.)

16. Default Re: Favorite Movie Theater

Tenacious D was playing at Quail when it first came out. It has been out for a bit and they probably just replaced it with the latest released movie.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

17. Default Re: Favorite Movie Theater

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    Generally, anything that doesn't open fairly wide, say 500 screens or more nationally, will get at most two houses in Oklahoma City, and one of those will almost always be the AMC at Quail. (This week, of course, is an exception: Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny was apparently passed up by AMC and is showing at Harkins and Tinseltown.)

Lately AMC has been pushing something called "AMC Select," which suggests some degree of exclusivity. I wish they'd had it back in the spring of '04, when they booked, and then canceled, Bertolucci's The Dreamers. (It did play in Tulsa.)
    They have always done a pretty good job of showing limited releases, they just didn't always have the name "AMC Select". Between AMC and the OKCMOA theatre, we get a pretty good selection of limited releases.

For me it's AMC over Harkins by a hair. AMC is much closer to my house, and I kind of like the hustle & bustle of it being in the mall (my dad HATES that aspect). As has already been discussed, they show all the good limited releases, and I also get good discounts with my MovieWatcher membership.

But I also like to see movies at Harkins because of the Bricktown atmosphere, and especially like to see the big movies on the giant Cine Capri screen if I can. It's definitely better for the "dinner & a movie" kind of night.

18. Default Re: Favorite Movie Theater

The Noble at OKCMOA has helped a lot, and I think it works just as well as the Harkins for the "dinner and a movie" bunch, provided both of you have an interest in films somewhat off the beaten path.

Thread Information