Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some info on Freddy's Custard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Some info on Freddy's Custard

Sounds good to me!!...looks like it's getting close to opening...anyone tried the one in Edmond??

Freddy's Frozen Custard
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Freddy's Frozen Custard is a small, Wichita, Kansas-based restaurant chain, specializing in lean, seasoned steakburgers, "Chicago-style" hot dogs and frozen custard. Many believe that the name "Freddy" is simply a marketing device, but Freddy is in fact the elderly founder of the chain. On occasion, Freddy visits some of the restaurants. As of April 9th, 2006 a new restaurant was opened in the Phoenix, Arizona Area making it the eighth store in the 3 year old system. Freddy's Frozen Custard has added a store in Edmond, Oklahoma which opened its doors on May 15, 2006. New stores are also being in Moore, Oklahoma, South Oklahoma City, and Tulsa, Oklahoma. Bringing the total number of stores to thirteen

Freddys is now 81 and still comes into Freddys quite often, especially the one on the east side where he can visit his gradson Jay Simon.

Default Re: Some info on Freddy's Custard

i saw this past weekend that one is nearly completed at 19th & i-35 in moore... though that's probably old news. -M

Yes, the one in Edmond is great! Try the burgers and fries, they are excellent. Haven't had the custard or ice cream though.

The hog dogs are similar to Fenway Franks with the superior buns.

The custard is good. I've had concretes and sundaes from Freddy's. Just as good as Rusty's, if not better, and better than Shak(e)y's.

I want to know where in S. OKC they're going to build!!! Any rumors/hot ideas?

There are LOTS of restaurants going up in the I-240 and Walker area...that'd be an AWESOME spot.

It looks great!

-SoonerDave

sooner...Isn't there already a custard or ice cream place where Taco Cabana was on Walker??...hadn't been there, but I think it's called Sweet Eats or something...my guess would be 240 and Penn or further South

Easy180

Yes, you're absolutely right. It's a tiny little shop right behind that old, unused, rotting Taco Cabana building. I can't imagine it being there in six more months; however. They also sell coffee, but they're right down 240 from a drive-thru Starbucks.

240-Penn is probably the better guess for the location. I just wanna know!!!

-SoonerDave

Hoping since Freddy's serves actual food that it will be able to stick around...think I'm with you on the one already there...if all they serve is custard then after a few deserted winters they may have a change of heart

One word about my first visit to Freddy's Frozen Custard, which enjoyed its Grand Opening in Moore on Saturday:

****************** Y U M ******************

Wonderfully tasty burgers, generous french fries, and great custard. Didn't even go there with the thought of getting burgers, just custard, but it smelled too good to pass up.

MORE GOOD NEWS: Freddy's Frozen Custard is coming to Southwest Oklahoma City at the now-vacant Arvest Bank building located on the southeast corner of SW 89th and Western, directly south of Carl's Jr. and east of CVS Pharmacy. WOO-HOO!!!

-SoonerDave

that is great news... it's gonna be new construction and not just a remodel, right? -M

The lady at Freddy's told us it will be a remodel of the Arvest building, and so it "wouldn't take as long to get going." My first thought was that Arvest building was kinda smallish, but then I recalled it used to be a restaurant long ago.

I sure hope they make it. That building has been lots of things over the years, including a Pizza Planet, Crockett's BBQ, a "fast-food" italian place that flopped, then a bank....heck, I remember when it was two rusted-out 30's-style gas pumps on a wheat field and SW 89th was considered the far south edge of town....lol...

-SoonerDave

My family ate here the other day and the food was pretty good. Their fries taste a little unusual, But you get plenty of them. Our favorite from there was the Turtle sundaes and hot dogs are to die for!

Little money saving tip there, Order the kids meals and you get the SAME amount of food as you would a normal combo meal, Just with a small drink and a cheaper price.

Todd Guest

I'll take two Chicago Dog's please...

Update: Demolition and remodeling work on the former Arvest Bank building at SW 89th and Western has commenced. Per prior info from multiple sources, this is supposed to be in preparation for the opening of a new Freddy's Frozen Custard location!

This building has a storied history, starting as a Pizza Planet back in the late 70's-early 80's (with their great old lunch buffet), then turning into a Crockett's Bar-B-Que (which, for a time, was *very* good), then closing and remaining vacant for some time, then reopening as a "fast-food" Italian restaurant concept out of Wichita that lasted maybe six months about a decade ago (only reason I remember that is because my son was a baby when it opened, and he's 10 now), then it closed and became the Arvest Bank building.

Bring On the Burgers!

-SoonerDave

wow... i drove by that intersection this evening and didn't even notice. i've had ample opportunity to try freddy's but somehow haven't yet.

that italian food restaurant was CRAP. only went there once in the short time it was there. i remember it was sort of a fazzoli's knock-off, but i can't remember the name of the place for the life of me. -M

But I do have great memories of pizza planet...Guys from work used to hit the buffet at least twice a week...Freddy's is pretty good especially the chicago style hot dog

Quote Originally Posted by easy180
    but I do have great memories of pizza planet
    as does my family... though i'm a bit young to remember it. pizza heaven that was on the other side of 89th at that intersection replaced it for us... and that place is pretty fond in my memories.

freddy's will be a good addition to that intersection. now if carl's junior would just burn down... -M

Carl's burgers (and, for that matter the old Hardee's chain that building used to inhabit) used to be pretty decent, but that Carl's location is nasty. I'm not an arson advocate, but I must admit to a dream that the place had been shut down...just like the one that used to sit immediately west of I-35 on SE 89th.

-SoonerDave

ok, so maybe a fire is asking a bit too much. : ) while i'd prefer for something else to take the spot, i think i'd take a carl's junior over a christie's toy box like on 89th & I-35. -M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    i think i'd take a carl's junior over a christie's toy box like on 89th & I-35. -M
    Absolutely!!! I despise that place, because every time we head east on 89th, all my kids see is a "Toy Box" sign and they think it's actually a toy store and don't understand why we can't go in and look around. The place sickens me, and is an absolute blight. I would rather they have torn the place down than put that piece of garbage there.

-SoonerDave

Well the Christie's location there has been enhanced with the new tattoo parlor in that same bldg...Surprised there isn't a bong shop there too..Errr I mean party store those pipes in there are just for decorations

I have to say that I have been disappointed in Freddy's. We have been there 4 times since the one in Moore opened, 3 for food and 1 for ice cream. The ice cream was good, although I may still prefer Rusty's but our food experience has been awful!
    The first time they made the Chicago dog wrong and missing several items. The second the food was fine but I waited 20 min in the drivethru with no one in front or behind me. The last time, just recently (as we gave them a break and decided maybe it was just being a new store), we ordered a single steakburger combo with cheese and no pickles... it came as a single steakburger with pickles and mustard and nothing else and the fries were cold when they hit my car. Again I waited about 10 min in the drivethru with no one behind or in front me. I liked the taste of the food, but their batting average certainly isn't luring me in! What about the inside, is the service better?

Been thru the drive a few times and was a little slow, but not too bad...It appears the entire staff is high schoolish age so I'm sure the service speed will be all over the place....Rusty's on Eastern is slow as well w/o serving food so me thinks it's just the lovely work ethic of our teenagers

Yo dude...Quit hitting on your co-worker...Put down the hackeysack and fix me a shake

24. Default Re: Some info on Freddy's Custard

I have been to the Freddy's in Edmond 3 times. I have to say that I liked the way their burgers tasted more than I did Steak N Shake. I also loved their custard! We went on the Grand Opening Day and met Freddy the owner. He was very nice and offered my children free custard whatever kind they wanted!
    When it rains it pours... but when the blessings come they overflow!

25. Default Re: Some info on Freddy's Custard

The place at I-240 and Walker is called Sweet Mercy, Frozen Custard. I go there all the time. I have been to Freddy's, but the Frozen Custard doesn't compare, not to mention, Sweet Mercy has more candies and flavors to mix-in. They also have great Hot Cocoa and Fresh Coffee for the cold days. Just recently they started offering FREE WIFI (Freddy's nor StarB offer that) and Otis Spunkmeyere Cookies. I think they are a mom and pop shop. I prefer to spend my money with the little guys.

Thread Information