Widgets Magazine
Page 98 of 125 FirstFirst ... 4893949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 3102

Thread: Population Growth for OKC

1. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

7.4% population increase from 2010 to 2020. You're saying that is ALL from immigration?

Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

No data here but anyone who has lived most of their life in OKC will probably understand this intrinsicly: If "Putnam City"* and "Deer Creek"** were deannexxed from Oklahoma City, we would lose an insane amount of tax dollars because these were/are among the largest segments of Middle and Upper Middle Class in Central Oklahoma. "Putnam City" particularly contributed a sizable portion to the initial MAPS projects and has continued to contribute a lot in subsequent iterations. The 1st iteration surely would not have had near the success were it not for that area in the 90s - in fact, the lack of "suburban proper" areas like Putnam City is probably one of the reasons you have not seen tons of cities adopt the same approach.

You will hear me poo-poo on the suburbs far more often than not, but anyone discussing Oklahoma City has to understand that practically speaking, Putnam City is it's own suburb that just happens to send all tax dollars to OKC, and Deer Creek is playing the same part in 2000 - 2050 that Putnam City did 1950 - 2000. There's also SW OKC that feeds into Moore but that area surely loses a good chunk of change to Moore so it's more complicated.

*We'll define this area as the area boxed by Memorial/LHP/NW 10th/Council
    **We'll define this area as the areas boxed by 164th/Portland/Memorial/Council + Covell/May/164th/Council + Simmons/Santa Fe/Covell/Council

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    No data here but anyone who has lived most of their life in OKC will probably understand this intrinsicly: If "Putnam City"* and "Deer Creek"** were deannexxed from Oklahoma City, we would lose an insane amount of tax dollars because these were/are among the largest segments of Middle and Upper Middle Class in Central Oklahoma. "Putnam City" particularly contributed a sizable portion to the initial MAPS projects and has continued to contribute a lot in subsequent iterations. The 1st iteration surely would not have had near the success were it not for that area in the 90s - in fact, the lack of "suburban proper" areas like Putnam City is probably one of the reasons you have not seen tons of cities adopt the same approach.

You will hear me poo-poo on the suburbs far more often than not, but anyone discussing Oklahoma City has to understand that practically speaking, Putnam City is it's own suburb that just happens to send all tax dollars to OKC, and Deer Creek is playing the same part in 2000 - 2050 that Putnam City did 1950 - 2000. There's also SW OKC that feeds into Moore but that area surely loses a good chunk of change to Moore so it's more complicated.

*We'll define this area as the area boxed by Memorial/LHP/NW 10th/Council
    **We'll define this area as the areas boxed by 164th/Portland/Memorial/Council + Covell/May/164th/Council + Simmons/Santa Fe/Covell/Council
    I live in this Southwest OKC you mention (Moore Schools) and do most of our shopping in OKC. Rarely do we go to Moore, our next closest shopping are would actually be Mustang, but we are unique in living West of 44. I do feel like our friends in this are that live East of 44 will shop Moore if they can't get what they need in the immediate OKC area.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    7.4% population increase from 2010 to 2020. You're saying that is ALL from immigration?
    The USA is hitting a population plateau. I'm not going to do the research for you or engage in petty arguments. An extensive article in the The Atlantic has already been posted here if you bother to read it.

ON EDIT: I'm feeling charitable so I will post the article again. I gather you didn't read it the first time. By the way, you are talking about an entire decade and this article is more nuanced to trends in population -- much like the subject of this thread. OKC's population has started to increase fairly dramatically in the last few years.

The Atlantic is not the only outlet reporting on this information, but the article is very thorough. Please feel free to share your thoughts after reading it.

Why US Population Growth is Collapsing

https://www.theatlantic.com/newslett...e-slow/629392/

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The USA is hitting a population plateau. I'm not going to do the research for you or engage in petty arguments. An extensive article in the The Atlantic has already been posted here if you bother to read it.

ON EDIT: I'm feeling charitable so I will post the article again. I gather you didn't read it the first time. By the way, you are talking about an entire decade and this article is more nuanced to trends in population -- much like the subject of this thread. OKC's population has started to increase fairly dramatically in the last few years.

The Atlantic is not the only outlet reporting on this information, but the article is very thorough. Please feel free to share your thoughts after reading it.

Why US Population Growth is Collapsing

https://www.theatlantic.com/newslett...e-slow/629392/
    Curious how 2022 and 2023 shake out. I've seen lots of ideas/chatter/theories that deaths will be lower these next two years. Theory is the vast majority of covid deaths weren't necessarily "excess" as much as they were 12-24 months "early". So the spike in 2020 and 2021 is offset by declines in 2022 and 2023. Time will tell.

Article is dead on. You must having a growing population or the economy suffers to an extreme degree. That's non political. The "how" always is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Curious how 2022 and 2023 shake out. I've seen lots of ideas/chatter/theories that deaths will be lower these next two years. Theory is the vast majority of covid deaths weren't necessarily "excess" as much as they were 12-24 months "early". So the spike in 2020 and 2021 is offset by declines in 2022 and 2023. Time will tell.
    Conspiracy theory is more like it.

This country should rename as The United States of Egypt. Denial runs throughout it.

And crickets, of course.

Top Ten Metros for Sending Most People to Oklahoma City.

1. Tulsa
    2. Dallas-Ft. Worth
    3. Lawton
    4. Houston
    5. Enid
    6. Chicago
    7. Kansas City
    8. San Antonio
    9. Denver
    10. Phoenix

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...30cac#image=45[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Top Ten Metros for Sending Most People to Oklahoma City.

1. Tulsa
    2. Dallas-Ft. Worth
    3. Lawton
    4. Houston
    5. Enid
    6. Chicago
    7. Kansas City
    8. San Antonio
    9. Denver
    10. Phoenix

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...30cac#image=45[/URL]
    Is it good with 30% of them are from the same state?

11. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

nearly all of the top 50 cities have a net inmigration to OKC. Notable exception is Houston - which is OKC's top destination to go with much smaller net out migration to NYC, Seattle, and Atlanta.

Does tend to back up the license plates in OKC theory I and others who visited observved.

Not surprised that OKC is the #1 destination for all in-state cities; it would not be good if it were the reverse. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Is it good with 30% of them are from the same state?
    None of these are California.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    nearly all of the top 50 cities have a net inmigration to OKC. Notable exception is Houston - which is OKC's top destination to go with much smaller net out migration to NYC, Seattle, and Atlanta.

Does tend to back up the license plates in OKC theory I and others who visited observved.

Not surprised that OKC is the #1 destination for all in-state cities; it would not be good if it were the reverse. ...
    The no. 1 out of state license plate in the majority of towns in Oklahoma, except along non-Texas borders is probably Texas. It is easily so in Stillwater. Well behind Texas for no. 2 is Kansas. No. 3 and 4 is not clearcut but is probably California and Arkansas. Other out of state license plates seem so rare in Stillwater that there is no. 5. Some people will say I may be seeing mainly rental cars, so tag observations don't accurately represent where drivers are from or if they are newcomers or just visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    None of these are California.
    I was just thinking, "This doesn't explain all the CA license plates everybody is seeing"

There are a lot of people coming up from TX right now. Great for continued strength in the housing market. I'm surprised to not see CA on that list. There are still quite a lot of folks relocating from California & west coast in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I was just thinking, "This doesn't explain all the CA license plates everybody is seeing"
    That's because it's probably confirmation bias at work. If the migration data doesn't match up then the license plate observations are just anecdotal and apparently incorrect as a marker of real population trends.

I've seen a few california tags and couple from ohio and a lot from texas.

I live in the city center and work off of NW Expressway in between meridian and Macarthur and it is rare that I see anything besides OK plates.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    There are a lot of people coming up from TX right now. Great for continued strength in the housing market. I'm surprised to not see CA on that list. There are still quite a lot of folks relocating from California & west coast in general.
    A google search will show that oklahoma ranks 25 of 50 states that are drawing californians.(usaToday)The number as of 2019 was 7500 people. Less than moved from Arkansas. Down from 8500 in 2015. (The oklahoman)Not mention in previous posts is that per the oklahoman 8000 Okies moved to califronia.(also the oklahoma)We live in a fairly large city with multiple major interstates making it more common to see out of state plates. Go drive the I40 for ten miles. IÂ’ll buy the beer if you can prove you didnt see an Arkansas or Texas plate. My take is yes There are some californians moving to Oklahoma. But not cultured job creating behomoths from SFO or LA area. Most likely like minded people from Bakersfield or Oildale. If youre seeing california plates off the interstate? Its probably the same person youve seen multiple times in your neighborhood.

A google search will show that oklahoma ranks 25 of 50 states that are drawing californians.(usaToday)The number as of 2019 was 7500 people. Less than moved from Arkansas. Down from 8500 in 2015. (The oklahoman)Not mention in previous posts is that per the oklahoman 8000 Okies moved to califronia.(also the oklahoma)We live in a fairly large city with multiple major interstates making it more common to see out of state plates. Go drive the I40 for ten miles. IÂ’ll buy the beer if you can prove you didnt see an Arkansas or Texas plate. My take is yes There are some californians moving to Oklahoma. But not cultured job creating behomoths from SFO or LA area. Most likely like minded people from Bakersfield or Oildale. If youre seeing california plates off the interstate? Its probably the same person youve seen multiple times in your neighborhood.
    2019 stats are almost completely irrelevant at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    2019 stats are almost completely irrelevant at this point.
    I half agree. I dont think the pandemic has heated up the migration market. I sold a house in at the begining of 2020 pre pandemic. Sold by end of the day and i made 10 over asking. Honestly i think oklahoma all but ceasing to build houses after the collapse in 2007-2008 has distorted the real estate situation. Of course the market seems insane. Theres no supply we stopped building houses for 10 years. Couple with most boomers still occupying homes.
    Our growth isnt caused by migration from people fleaing the west. Not so much as people having children anyway.
    Not gonna lie. If oklahoma wants to draw jobs and population from other states, maybe we dont let our politics do the talking . If i made 500k/a year id be living in the hill country, or Seattle. Probably not Oklahoma. That and i dont want to abandon the other 4 politically like minded people that live here in oklahoma.

I half agree. I dont think the pandemic has heated up the migration market. I sold a house in at the begining of 2020 pre pandemic. Sold by end of the day and i made 10 over asking. Honestly i think oklahoma all but ceasing to build houses after the collapse in 2007-2008 has distorted the real estate situation. Of course the market seems insane. Theres no supply we stopped building houses for 10 years. Couple with most boomers still occupying homes.
    Our growth isnt caused by migration from people fleaing the west. Not so much as people having children anyway.
    Not gonna lie. If oklahoma wants to draw jobs and population from other states, maybe we dont let our politics do the talking . If i made 500k/a year id be living in the hill country, or Seattle. Probably not Oklahoma. That and i dont want to abandon the other 4 politically like minded people that live here in oklahoma.
    Because Texas is just super liberal in mind and thought. Companies don't move there because they are open-minded. They move there because they get tax breaks most states can't afford to give. Mention that, sure. But don't say that Texas is this liberal bastion, compared to Oklahoma.

Someone please tell me why Edmond is building houses about everywhere. Every time I have asked, I've been told people moving from else where

Because Texas is just super liberal in mind and thought. Companies don't move there because they are open-minded. They move there because they get tax breaks most states can't afford to give. Mention that, sure. But don't say that Texas is this liberal bastion, compared to Oklahoma.
    I disagree in part. Austin and San Antonio are pretty forward moving. Even Dallas proper. I agree with this if were talking about Dallas Suburbs or Houston.

Because nobody built houses there 10 years. I do confess.. im a transplant. From oklahoma but still i came here to make more money

Fair enough, i can buy that. And OKC is the same way, then the rural-heavy legislators gerrymandered the city, and now Oklahoma may never have a Democrat federal legislator (it should be criminal).

Thread Information