Widgets Magazine
Page 97 of 141 FirstFirst ... 479293949596979899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 3525

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    They look stoned to me. Seen that look in my earlier years on Paseo and Memorial Park.
    As somebody who used to work overnights for 12+ hours/shift for 14-18 days on end... that is the look of sleep deprivation. I worked those hours because I was being paid a ludicrous sum of money. These people are fighting the fundamental human urge to sleep so they can help the movement, likely at a steep personal and financial cost.

They've been out 24/7 in Tulsa trying to make a final push to get more and more signatures. If they were high and sleep deprived, full sentences wouldn't be happening. At least uh... that's what my friend says would happen.

Again, another twist to 2018's legalization movement that I just don't know if we'll ever understand. In review though, consider the following:

-One of the "most conservative" states passed "the most liberal" Medical MJ law in the country.
    -They had no paid signature takers and still got 70,000+ signatures.
    -If 796/797 was not a constitutional amendment, a celebration would have been in order weeks ago instead of this pseudo-conspiracy-mis-count drama.
    -I'm willing to place some blame on Isaac, however they've been going 110%, full bore, and the results we see here are likely a combination of exaggeration and chaos of the final weeks.
    -Our elected officials are listening. With the health department BS and the teacher walkout, I feel like the first page of a new chapter in OK politics has been turned.

Despite these shenanigans with GTV (I'm honestly not even willing to call it a setback) I feel that the legalization movement will pick up steam in the coming 12 months.

-The age-old argument of "why is alcohol legal and weed isn't?" will begin to shift. I feel the new argument will be: "it is stupid a doctor has to make the call about this being legal, we should be able to buy it without involving a doctor".

-After the anti-weed folks see that medical hasn't created an apocalyptic wasteland of stoners, they'll be more open to the idea of total legalization.

I'm very proud of the efforts put forth by Green the Vote - they're a grassroots movement trying to change our corrupt system. I wish they wouldn't have misrepresented the count, but.. they did. Time to move on and form a strategy for the next phase.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

“The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.” - Steve Jobs

That went up in smoke. Sorry folks, I could not help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    That went up in smoke. Sorry folks, I could not help myself.
    What do expect with Cheech & Chong running things

Intellectual property protection of logos & trademarks isn’t available to pot dispensaries, so don’t spend a lot of money on artwork, a catchy name or tagline - they can be stolen without recourse. So says attorney Rachel Blue of McAfee & Taft. The reason is that the USPTO requires lawful use, and the federal government says that selling marijuana isn’t. This is in Paula Burkes’ Q&A column in today’s Oklahoman: https://newsok.com/article/5604001/q...-for-marijuana

I do wish the pro folks would drop the alcohol/tobacco comparisons. I think it does more harm than good, because it equates marijuana with alcohol/tobacco. Just focus on the benefits, the medical uses, etc. Lot's of things are legal. I can snort baby powder. Probably wouldn't be good for me. But it's not comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Intellectual property protection of logos & trademarks isn’t available to pot dispensaries, so don’t spend a lot of money on artwork, a catchy name or tagline - they can be stolen without recourse. So says attorney Rachel Blue of McAfee & Taft. The reason is that the USPTO requires lawful use, and the federal government says that selling marijuana isn’t. This is in Paula Burkes’ Q&A column in today’s Oklahoman: https://newsok.com/article/5604001/q...-for-marijuana
    This, and the problem with banks, and credit cards, and the inability to own guns, are all an issue. My cousin owns multiple dispensaries, and these are all problems, and won't be solved until something is changed on the federal level.

Well in that case, I'm going to name my dispensary "Weed Store, LLC" and my growing operation "Weed Growing Building, LLC".

For being sleep deprived, Issac Caviness was sure able to give a coherent speech outside the temporary Secretary of State's office after petitions were submitted Tuesday afternoon. He said he had no idea how many signatures there were and to be honest after what happened last week would be a fool to try to guess. I bet many people were surprised he would show his face anywhere.

Many petitions came in at the tent setup at the parking lot of the state capitol. As many as 4 notaries busily stamped them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    For being sleep deprived, Issac Caviness was sure able to give a coherent speech outside the temporary Secretary of State's office after petitions were submitted Tuesday afternoon. He said he had no idea how many signatures there were and to be honest after what happened last week would be a fool to try to guess. I bet many people were surprised he would show his face anywhere.

Many petitions came in at the tent setup at the parking lot of the state capitol. As many as 4 notaries busily stamped them.
    I applaud those folks and they have my upmost respect. From Caviness down to the last signature taker. I hope they hit their mark. When will we know the real total turned in?

We should know the numbers for SQ796 by the middle of next week. About a week after that we should know if we hit the number for SQ797.

A look at some of the dedicated volunteers who helped run the Ft. Canna signature location at NW Expressway and Meridian from 9 am to 9 pm for the past month. Picture snapped shortly after all signatures were submitted. They helped get thousands of signatures, possibly as many as 35,000+.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    We should know the numbers for SQ796 by the middle of next week. About a week after that we should know if we hit the number for SQ797.

A look at some of the dedicated volunteers who helped run the Ft. Canna signature location at NW Expressway and Meridian from 9 am to 9 pm for the past month. Picture snapped shortly after all signatures were submitted. They helped get thousands of signatures, possibly as many as 35,000+.

I'm glad they finally setup out there. Honestly, I think if the OKC area had a few more dedicated signature locations like this it would help tremednously. Ft. Canna has got the NW side covered, but the Southside and Norman area needs something similar. Seems like Tulsa area is significantly more well represented in the legalization efforts.

i think this is news to absolutely no one... this was talked about when SQ788 was first getting the petition passed around... it's why it was so dumb when the anti ads were saying that a kid could grow up to 12 plants in his dorm room

So there was thousands turned in at the Capitol from all around the City and State and they figured they had close to 90k that was brought down from Tulsa. So maybe there is a chance they went over the required amount. I guess when we see the numbers for 796 we should prob have a good idea about 797.

Wow! I’m surprised it fell short by that much. It sounds like GTV was putting out inflated numbers? That seems idiotic to me, I wanted to sign the petition but never got around to it because GTV kept putting out these huge numbers. I’m sure there are plenty like me.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Wow! I’m surprised it fell short by that much. It sounds like GTV was putting out inflated numbers? That seems idiotic to me, I wanted to sign the petition but never got around to it because GTV kept putting out these huge numbers. I’m sure there are plenty like me.
    He confessed that he inflated the numbers and has since resigned. Idiotic strategy. I wish everyone who wanted to sign it would have just taken 5 minutes out of their day to do so, though... in the scheme of things it got awfully close.

It's going to take someone or some group that is better funded that GTV was to make this happen in the future if that is the plan IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    It's going to take someone or some group that is better funded that GTV was to make this happen in the future if that is the plan IMO.
    Only if they insist on going the constitutional amendment route. If this was a law like 788, victory would have been long ago. Heck, as far as I know I don't think GTV had any funding aside from donations and volunteers.

I think their initial pitch was somewhat confusing - 788 had just passed, or was near being voted on, and they come up with "a petition for medical and recreational cannabis". To the layperson, many are likely to be confused by the fact that we already legalized medical, so why do we need more petitions?

Next time around, the message will be more clear, less rushed, and there will be quite a few legal cannabis businesses that will use their profits to control government - the American way.

http://www.news9.com/story/39169616/...ning-marijuana

Can somebody tell me what actually constitutes a "small amount" of marijuana. Is that at the discretion of the police officer or is there a specific weight?

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    http://www.news9.com/story/39169616/...ning-marijuana

Can somebody tell me what actually constitutes a "small amount" of marijuana. Is that at the discretion of the police officer or is there a specific weight?
    I'd like to know this as well. Also, if this is the case, why do they not just legalize recreational marijuana? Doesn't this almost practically decriminalize it? Yes, you still have to pay the fine if you aren't afraid of getting caught, but is there a catch? If you are caught so many times, do you get jail time?

Quote Originally Posted by tyeomans View Post
    I'd like to know this as well. Also, if this is the case, why do they not just legalize recreational marijuana? Doesn't this almost practically decriminalize it? Yes, you still have to pay the fine if you aren't afraid of getting caught, but is there a catch? If you are caught so many times, do you get jail time?
    Could a city take it upon themselves to legalize without the state's consent?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Probably, just don't go to the neighboring city with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    This is a Dillon's Rule state, so they could, and the state could invalidate the decriminalization/legalization if they so choose, I'd imagine. Has happened before here with other things (minimum wage, I believe).

SQ788 says that if you have 1.5 oz or less and can state a medical condition you're using it for, you get a $400 fine. I'd bet the city council minutes have the details, but don't have the time to check them out to see, be interesting to see how different from SQ788 the limit is. And it better be for a specific weight, not be at the cop's discretion, that way lies madness.

The first legal Oklahoma medical marijuana plant was recently sold. One of the most brilliant parts of SQ788 was not allowing the government to fool around to implementing legal med marijuana by requiring short time limits to roll it out.
    http://www.news9.com/story/39180948/...ana-plant-sold

Thread Information