Widgets Magazine
Page 95 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4590919293949596979899100 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 3525

Thread: Cannabis

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Its not just energy companies that hated it. Half the companies Pete listed are in other fields. Generally companies don’t like marijuana legalization of any kind because it is in conflict with and will complicate their drug policies. That’s not an energy industry specific issue but given the fact that a large portion of work in that industry involves large groups of people operating very large, complicated and dangerous machinery, it’s not really surprising that they would be against legalizing any substance that could alter someone’s state of mind or reaction time if used, even under a medical pretense, on the job. Other states that have legalized it have seen similar corporate backlash.
    I was just being snarky, nothing serious meant. My apologies.

2. Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

In the cases of employers and especially those who employ people in the industrial sector - read oilfield - I’m sure that the motivation behind their opposition was not based on moral reservations but instead concerns regarding productivity, job site safety, required HR changes and the potential for expensive legal challenges. There are plenty of studies showing decreased productivity related to use, and the safety concerns are self-evident.

I know I personally have for years been monitoring HR practices and legal outcomes in states where medical and even recreational use have been decriminalized (we really should all call it what it is, owing to the fact it is still a schedule 1 illegal substance on the federal level). I’ve done this not because I ever dreamed it would become legal in Oklahoma but because I was curious about how employers could/should handle a situation where an employee goes to a “legal” state and consumes but then comes home and tests positive.

Interestingly, laws and rulings even in those states with full-blown recreational have generally supported an employer’s right to maintain a drug-free workplace, ESPECIALLY in cases of operating equipment, doing jobs impacting public safety, etc.. There is also the idea that you wouldn’t let someone on painkillers or legally using alcohol perform these jobs, either.

The problem with marijuana is that there is residual evidence of use for weeks after, and there’s yet to be a widely-available test which reliably distinguishes between someone who is currently intoxicated vs used last weekend. Also, along with recognized medical applications you start to encounter ADA requirements, such as not asking about conditions requiring use and also making accommodation for someone using medically (which could involve transferring them to tasks for which they were not hired, in an effort to accommodate).

Before anyone thinks that I personally am anti, let me just state that I am GENERALLY supportive of medical and not even bothered by the idea of recreational, but I do recognize the (expensive and inconvenient) Pandora’s box that is about to be opened for employers and understand why organizations like the Chamber or large employers would have funded opposition.

3. Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Welp. You guys beat me to it while I was typing all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I was just being snarky, nothing serious meant. My apologies.
    No worries, I was just commenting on why they would be against it. If I were in their position, I might have been against it as well.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    No worries, I was just commenting on why they would be against it. If I were in their position, I might have been against it as well.
    Understandable. I, like Urbanized, generally support medical use, but it's pretty clear there are some loopholes/issues with the bill that will undoubtedly have to be resolved.

Several things:

Is today the last day to sign? My family has already signed but I could maybe do some promoting to the procrastinators.

Mr. Bates that’s an amazing story about the beneficial power of medical MJ. I have no doubt it’s contributed to your recovery. Back in the early 2000’s I helped my grandfather with incurable pancreatic cancer by buying huge bags of dirty old brick weed and extracting the cannibinoids by boiling it in a pot with water and a pound of butter. After you cool the whole mess all the vegetable sinks and the butter rises and solidifies. I the. Used the butter to bake fudge brownies. It was amazing how well they worked for sleep, appetite, and mood elevation considering he’d been issued a death sentence. I got the idea after he’d been issued an insane amount of opioids and a trial synthetic THC drug that did nothing, he couldn’t eat or sleep, and my poor grandmother was distraught. He still died of course, but I firmly believe the process was more comfortable thanks to MJ. It’s essentially what made me a medical MJ activist.

To the “smoking is bad” question. Sure, it’s probably not the healthiest way to ingest. But even plant material can be vaporized to not include the vegetable smoke by using specialized equipment. Not to mention various concentrates, shatter, wax, crumble, hash oil, etc. that don’t include any vegetable matter in the “smoke.” I can’t immagine it being remotely as dangerous to smoking cigarettes. My personal method of ingestion is a vape pen. There’s no “juice” or glycol, just cannabis oils being heated and vaporized in a small, sometimes disposable device. No smoke, just vapor. And as I stated in a previous post, dispensaries that I have visited have a strict testing process that ensures all their product is analyzed for safety, and most importantly, chemical content. So you know exactly what your buying and what effects it will have so the user can custom tailor the product to their needs. It’s an extremely diverse and customizable product.

Cigarettes on the other hand, as people have mentioned release thousands of compounds. MJ does release many chemical compounds, but not nearly as many, and not any to my knowledge that are known carcinogens, except maybe to the state of California, that lists charred meat and coffee as “items know to the state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    Several things:

Is today the last day to sign? My family has already signed but I could maybe do some promoting to the procrastinators.

Mr. Bates that’s an amazing story about the beneficial power of medical MJ. I have no doubt it’s contributed to your recovery. Back in the early 2000’s I helped my grandfather with incurable pancreatic cancer by buying huge bags of dirty old brick weed and extracting the cannibinoids by boiling it in a pot with water and a pound of butter. After you cool the whole mess all the vegetable sinks and the butter rises and solidifies. I the. Used the butter to bake fudge brownies. It was amazing how well they worked for sleep, appetite, and mood elevation considering he’d been issued a death sentence. I got the idea after he’d been issued an insane amount of opioids and a trial synthetic THC drug that did nothing, he couldn’t eat or sleep, and my poor grandmother was distraught. He still died of course, but I firmly believe the process was more comfortable thanks to MJ. It’s essentially what made me a medical MJ activist.

To the “smoking is bad” question. Sure, it’s probably not the healthiest way to ingest. But even plant material can be vaporized to not include the vegetable smoke by using specialized equipment. Not to mention various concentrates, shatter, wax, crumble, hash oil, etc. that don’t include any vegetable matter in the “smoke.” I can’t immagine it being remotely as dangerous to smoking cigarettes. My personal method of ingestion is a vape pen. There’s no “juice” or glycol, just cannabis oils being heated and vaporized in a small, sometimes disposable device. No smoke, just vapor. And as I stated in a previous post, dispensaries that I have visited have a strict testing process that ensures all their product is analyzed for safety, and most importantly, chemical content. So you know exactly what your buying and what effects it will have so the user can custom tailor the product to their needs. It’s an extremely diverse and customizable product.

Cigarettes on the other hand, as people have mentioned release thousands of compounds. MJ does release many chemical compounds, but not nearly as many, and not any to my knowledge that are known carcinogens, except maybe to the state of California, that lists charred meat and coffee as “items know to the state.”
    Just wondering about the vape. Does it still have the smell like smoking?

Is there any stipulations on women having to take a pregnancy test? I heard someone say this but I haven't read anything on it.

They went away.

Several things:

No. One can find business locations to sign here: https://gtvok.com/locations. But they won't be taking signatures much longer. Call ahead before going to any of them. Otherwise, the tent location at the northeast corner of NW Expressway and Meridian will be open every day until Aug. 7th from 9am to 9pm. The final day to sign will be at the south side of the state capitol on Aug. 8th until 4:20 pm at a tent.

I just wonder how long it will be before some inspired individual realizes that if they can legalize marijuana, why not legalize narcotics or meth. No to mention, there used to be a time when you could go into a pharmacy, sign a form and purchase schedule V cough syrup. (officially you still can, but I don't know of any pharmacies that will sell these days without a prescription.

You are still thumbing your nose at federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by whorton View Post
    I just wonder how long it will be before some inspired individual realizes that if they can legalize marijuana, why not legalize narcotics or meth. No to mention, there used to be a time when you could go into a pharmacy, sign a form and purchase schedule V cough syrup. (officially you still can, but I don't know of any pharmacies that will sell these days without a prescription.

Narcotics lol

Ending the war on drugs would decrease crime, decrease overdoses, and decrease public funding. Sounds like a great thing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Narcotics lol

Ending the war on drugs would decrease crime, decrease overdoses, and decrease public funding. Sounds like a great thing to me.
    All accounts from Portugal show it’s a beneficial platform to decriminalize the drugs, and offer support and counseling to the addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Just wondering about the vape. Does it still have the smell like smoking?
    Yes, it has the distinct pot smell and taste. But without the smoke. It’s simply a concentrate of the oils and terpines extracted from the plant material, no added glycol, flavorings, additives, or perfumes. The flavor and smell can vary between products like a sativa called “super lemon haze” or a indica like “northern lights” or hybrids like “Chemdawg and OG kush.” The smell and fast can vary from earthy, woody, sour, berry, most dispensaries have highly knowledgeable staff that can walk one through the process. It’s vastly variable chemical composition is what makes it so viable and exciting as a medicinal product. Everyone’s got problems, and pot takes hundreds of forms that can alleviate what ails you.

Opiates and meth-like drugs are already legal with prescription. Cannabis is nothing like them in either effect or addictive potential.

Most of the opposition to marijuana legalization is cultural and because of stigma that has little basis in fact. Anti-cannabis propaganda has been very effective all the way back to the original Reefer Madness movie in 1936.

Let’s not forget racism when the tax act was established, and racial bias when it pertains to prosecution of possession for the last 100 years. It scared the hell out of people to hear propaganda that young men would get referred up and rape white women.

Anyone that links MJ and Meth together are living in the dark ages and are just plain ignorant to the facts. If that's the FEDS then so be it.

Anyone that links MJ and Meth together are living in the dark ages and are just plain ignorant to the facts. If that's the FEDS then so be it.
    Its the same argument that legalizing gay marriage is gonna lead to society legalizing pedophilia.

Well, it depends on the basis for the argument. Obviously, the harm/risks aren't equatable. But if you're arguing on the basis that folks should be able to do to their own bodies what they want, and assume the risks they want (I mean, alcohol is one of the deadliest and most addictive drugs there is), then you can link them together.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Its the same argument that legalizing gay marriage is gonna lead to society legalizing pedophilia.
    It’s already starting. It’ll be another 15 years but it’s coming.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lif...randing-effort

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post

WTF?, just WTF? I don’t know if your citing that website as a reference or just making a joke. It might as well be a fake news Facebook page, but I’m sure it violates Facebook policy.

That website is disgusting. And to insinuate that 2 dudes or 2 chics that want to couple or even get married on the sole basis to rape children is also disgusting and pure fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post

That's Lifesite, a far right evangelical Christian "news" site that likes to run headlines that trigger the rage of their audience. They also frame the outlawing of gay-to-straight conversion therapy for minors as "banning the Bible." Few do hyperbole as well as Lifesite and their audience eats it up.

And it's ironic that it's mostly far-right Christian conservatives known for wanting to ram the Bible down everyone's throats by law *cough* Shortey *cough* that get exposed as pedophiles.

It’s just abhorrent. Also shocking that they can get adult minded people to believe that crap. I’m on the edge of millennial (according to the polls) at age 37 & grew up with dial up internet and “America On Line” I built my first computer in 1993. I’ve been exposed to a lot of radical things and I suppose the first thing I learned was, “if it’s on the internet, it’s probably not true.” But nowadays I see fringe garbage online that tries to make itself so legitimate. I guess you can tell how crap it is by how much advertisement is on the side bars,

It’s just abhorrent. Also shocking that they can get adult minded people to believe that crap. I’m on the edge of millennial (according to the polls) at age 37 & grew up with dial up internet and “America On Line” I built my first computer in 1993. I’ve been exposed to a lot of radical things and I suppose the first thing I learned was, “if it’s on the internet, it’s probably not true.” But nowadays I see fringe garbage online that tries to make itself so legitimate. I guess you can tell how crap it is by how much advertisement is on the side bars,
    One of the biggest problems with today's society is the fact people believe fake news simply because they want to believe it and don't even bother to fact check it. Back in the 90s, a lot of stuff like this went around via chain email but today it's presented in a manner that appears far more legitimate. Far right Christian conservatives will jump on any story that tries to compare homosexuality to pedophilia because they've been saying since the '80s that homosexuality is a stepping stone to normalization of adult-child relationships. They want their worst fears confirmed because when you get down to it, they are addicted to their anger and outrage. They also desperately want to be able to say "I told you so" in regards to all of the doomsaying they've done over the decades about what would happen if gay marriage were legalized.

Thread Information