Widgets Magazine
Page 95 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4590919293949596979899100 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2536

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    except do you??

like you tell some one " I am going to Will Rodgers airport on Friday." or do you just say i am going to the airport ...

this entire thing is really pointless ..

OKC doesn't have 2 airports where people have to make a distinction ..
    This. My circle of family and friends call it "The Airport".

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    except do you??

like you tell some one " I am going to Will Rodgers airport on Friday." or do you just say i am going to the airport ...

this entire thing is really pointless ..

OKC doesn't have 2 airports where people have to make a distinction ..
    Nope just say going to Will Rogers.

I think we need a international airport. not like Tulsa where the international is just slapped on there when it is really a hub, i mean more like DFW. East of the Kickapoo Turnpike would be a good place, Also along the NW Expressway is also a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    I think we need a international airport. not like Tulsa where the international is just slapped on there when it is really a hub, i mean more like DFW. East of the Kickapoo Turnpike would be a good place, Also along the NW Expressway is also a good option.
    Tulsa International, while only offering domestic flights, is still an international airport since it has customs and border patrol facilities.

OKC may get a "sprinkle" of international flights, but because DFW is so close, and so big, the chance of getting anything more than that just doesn't seem realistic. (or profitable)...easier to jump on a AA flight for DFW and fly to virtually anywhere from there.

Yeah, that will never happen. Even me, who hates OKC's airport director, knows airlines aren't stupid enough to support another hub. There's a reason there hasn't been a new one in forever. Small airlines may set up hubs somewhere, but they are a fart in a hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Yeah, that will never happen. Even me, who hates OKC's airport director, knows airlines aren't stupid enough to support another hub. There's a reason there hasn't been a new one in forever. Small airlines may set up hubs somewhere, but they are a fart in a hurricane.
    Plus with airline consolidation the trend has been for less hubs, and if any wanted another one, there are several with massively overbuilt terminals for current need that used to be medium size hubs.

Our current airport is hardly land constrained either, if we somehow managed to need more than the current long term concept allowing up to 30-ish gates or were bumped up to a medium size hub and runway/taxiway layout really was constraining our terminal capacity, 17R/35L could be shifted up to a mile west of it's current location, though as further west the more it would need to shift south.

Blog Entries

One just like the second busiest airport in the world? Sure.

8. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I say they should do like Chicago or Atlanta, incorporate the city name with the icon's name.

Chicago O'hare International Airport <==> Oklahoma City Will Rogers International Airport or better yet, Will Rogers Oklahoma City International Airport (OKC) as it's full name (drop the "world").

People will still call it Will Rogers just like people call it O'Hare. But having Oklahoma City in the name is very useful for not only bragging branding but also for people NOT FROM Oklahoma or the USA. There is little to no connection worldwide to make someone not from the US (or even most of the USA) to connect Will Rogers to Oklahoma City's airport. International means much more to me than World, however, it was unique to OKC (the only airport with "world" in it's name. I say International is more global, mature. World worked while OKC was a small city.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

9. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Never going to be international when occasionally if you want to fly to Dallas you have to be routed through Houston or going to Tulsa and route through Kansas City.
    I over 40 and I say “going to the airport”.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    Never going to be international when occasionally if you want to fly to Dallas you have to be routed through Houston or going to Tulsa and route through Kansas City.
    I over 40 and I say “going to the airport”.
    American offers 8-9 flights direct daily from OKC to DFW?

Southwest use to fly OKC to DAL (Love Field), but when Dallas Love was no longer impacted by the Wright Amendment, OKC-DAL didn't make sense as SWA could now offer longer, more profitable routes and SWA was gate limited to 24 or so gates at Love. When SWA ended OKC-DAL, 80% of passengers were using it as a connecting flight, which isn't how Southwest wants to be setup, even though they do operate mini hubs. Also average flights to DAL on SWA were only about 70% full.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I’ve seen someone else claim that’s why pilots say it, but it doesn’t ring true because 1) we’re not talking about when they’re communicating with ATC; we’re talking about when pilots address the cabin and 2) they don’t use this alleged sparing/economical communication with any other city names when addressing the cabin.
    believe what you'd like

must be a conspiracy

12. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    American offers 8-9 flights direct daily from OKC to DFW?

Southwest use to fly OKC to DAL (Love Field), but when Dallas Love was no longer impacted by the Wright Amendment, OKC-DAL didn't make sense as SWA could now offer longer, more profitable routes and SWA was gate limited to 24 or so gates at Love. When SWA ended OKC-DAL, 80% of passengers were using it as a connecting flight, which isn't how Southwest wants to be setup, even though they do operate mini hubs. Also average flights to DAL on SWA were only about 70% full.
    Yes- (American Airlines) but I have been routed to Houston before multiple times before landing Dallas. Might have been a cost issue for my employer at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I say they should do like Chicago or Atlanta, incorporate the city name with the icon's name.

Chicago O'hare International Airport <==> Oklahoma City Will Rogers International Airport or better yet, Will Rogers Oklahoma City International Airport (OKC) as it's full name (drop the "world").

People will still call it Will Rogers just like people call it O'Hare. But having Oklahoma City in the name is very useful for not only bragging branding but also for people NOT FROM Oklahoma or the USA. There is little to no connection worldwide to make someone not from the US (or even most of the USA) to connect Will Rogers to Oklahoma City's airport. International means much more to me than World, however, it was unique to OKC (the only airport with "world" in its name. I say International is more global, mature. World worked while OKC was a small city.
    Yeah let’s just make the airport name as long as freaking possible for absolutely no reason.

There's a new gate setup for international travel, I don't have the usage rates, but I know there's a bunch of hold room space going unused, the whole area underneath the new gates is a hold area

I was surprised to learn Southwest Airlines has still only three gates at the airport despite an ever increasing number of passengers.

My flight coming back to OKC was delayed yesterday so we had to wait on the tarmac as all the southwest gates were full.

The gate, formally used by Breeze, on the east side of the former OKC grill would be perfect for them.

I just wish that with all the flights that AA offers that their gates were not a ten dollar cab ride away from TSA

17. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah let’s just make the airport name as long as freaking possible for absolutely no reason.
    apparently you missed the 'reason' why the airport is considering the name change. BTW, the names I mentioned are in consideration whether you like it or not. Furthermore, all is added isn the city and changing World to International.

Oklahoma City XXX is going to be long anyway, regardless of if it's convention center, metro area transit, international airport, or whatever else that may irk you.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    I was surprised to learn Southwest Airlines has still only three gates at the airport despite an ever increasing number of passengers.

My flight coming back to OKC was delayed yesterday so we had to wait on the tarmac as all the southwest gates were full.

The gate, formally used by Breeze, on the east side of the former OKC grill would be perfect for them.
    I don't think I knew that and we fly SW almost exclusively. Looking at the OKC Map, SW just has gates 14,16 and 18. Didn't realize United had five gates.

Didn't there used to be some shared gates? Breeze is what I am thinking of?

apparently you missed the 'reason' why the airport is considering the name change. BTW, the names I mentioned are in consideration whether you like it or not. Furthermore, all is added isn the city and changing World to International.

Oklahoma City XXX is going to be long anyway, regardless of if it's convention center, metro area transit, international airport, or whatever else that may irk you.
    1. I read through everything that's been posted and all of the airport's rebranding links. What reason did I miss?

2. Everything says the airport is looking at rebranding but I've seen nothing that specifically says renaming...again back to the discussion about rebranding the Thunder, rebranding and renaming aren't always the same thing.

3. If they are in fact looking at renaming the airport, who said those names were in consideration outside of you and a few other people on this site? Did the airport trust put that information out there? Is that second hand information from someone who would know? All I've seen are people throwing out ideas here based on three paragraph press release and a survey, neither of which say that they're looking to rename it or what they're looking to rename it.

20. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

you obviously didn't look at or pay attention to the survey the airport sent out. if you did, then 1, 2, and 3 of your issues would already be answered.

you obviously didn't look at or pay attention to the survey the airport sent out. if you did, then 1, 2, and 3 of your issues would already be answered.
    I’ve taken the survey twice. “What do you call the airport?” Is not “we’re renaming the airport, pick one of these options.”

While you could make the leap that they definitely intend to rename it based on the first two questions, the rest of the survey led me to believe that it has just as much or more to do with marketing, mission statements, logos, promotional material, decorative aspects of the airport and doing things consistent with the new branding that make the airport easier to navigate and provides travelers with a more pleasant experience. It also sounded like they might want to know if the airport currently does a good enough job of conveying the story of Will Rogers and his impact on the state/country so that anyone coming through understood who the airport was named after.

It asks if the airport (not the airport’s namesake) is representative of OKC’s culture. That goes way beyond the name.

I insinuated that there was no reason to pick the absolute longest name for the airport…you said I obviously missed the reason…based on the questions they asked and the press release…I didn’t miss anything indicating that people don’t know where will rogers is nor did I see a reason we should rename the airport with the longest option possible (not smart for a city with one airport that is looking for better and more effective branding). A mouthful of word salad doesn’t make for good branding.

Based on the fact that neither the press release nor the survey explicitly mention renaming…I think the focus is on much more than that. Obviously they asked the first question to determine whether that’s something they should consider but again…I think you’re way too focused on that when I’m not sure that they are. Would love for someone who is actually involved or in the know to explain what they’re looking for in more detail one way or the other.

Fly Southwest out of DFW? Airline, Airport confirm preliminary discussions regarding partnership that'd start in 2025 Because of lingering Wright Amendment constraints, Southwest has previously been unable to expand to DFW Airport without lessening its Dallas Love Field presence.
    https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/...5-cc3313662350

SW signed a contract with Boeing for > 100 new 737-Max jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Fly Southwest out of DFW? Airline, Airport confirm preliminary discussions regarding partnership that'd start in 2025 Because of lingering Wright Amendment constraints, Southwest has previously been unable to expand to DFW Airport without lessening its Dallas Love Field presence.
    https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/...5-cc3313662350
    Good for them. Doubt that means flights from DFW-OKC/TUL though.

My wife and I were discussing this yesterday: which city does OKC have the most direct flights to? I saw that Vegas has four flights on SW, but I would guess it would be either Denver or Houston.

Thread Information