Widgets Magazine
Page 94 of 96 FirstFirst ... 448990919293949596 LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 2383

Thread: Midtown

Default Re: Midtown

I've been wondering what "all the restaurant closings" talk was all about but this list is no big deal really. Cafe do Brasil was great but the owner was just straight up, I always planed to quit this year, and I am. Browns was terrible and ancient, 1492 was awful and I honestly have no idea how it lasted so long, Louies is just the literal worst restaurant in Oklahoma by a mile. Capitals was cool, but yeah Boomtown rules so oh well. But, RIP Ludivine, it was too expensive most of the time, but what a magnificent space and one of the best bars in town. I can't believe they survived both Jonathan Stranger and COVID only to be finally closing now. It will be missed. But I definitely don't think these are like, "a sign of the times" all these spaces will be filled and I'm so so stoked at the boggest waste of an amazing space (Browns) being finally filled with something cool.

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    I've been wondering what "all the restaurant closings" talk was all about but this list is no big deal really. Cafe do Brasil was great but the owner was just straight up, I always planed to quit this year, and I am. Browns was terrible and ancient, 1492 was awful and I honestly have no idea how it lasted so long, Louies is just the literal worst restaurant in Oklahoma by a mile. Capitals was cool, but yeah Boomtown rules so oh well. But, RIP Ludivine, it was too expensive most of the time, but what a magnificent space and one of the best bars in town. I can't believe they survived both Jonathan Stranger and COVID only to be finally closing now. It will be missed. But I definitely don't think these are like, "a sign of the times" all these spaces will be filled and I'm so so stoked at the boggest waste of an amazing space (Browns) being finally filled with something cool.
    Don't disagree with some of your assessment but the slander of Brown's is near blasphemy. lol

Browns was good in the early 2000s they went on a slow and steady downhill IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Don't disagree with some of your assessment but the slander of Brown's is near blasphemy. lol
    I mean, I have felt it was awful for decades. It was mostly a like, zillion square feet donut shop, and they weren't even one of the best donut shops. The service was always bad, it was always pretty dirty.

It was just old, and old sometimes means interesting and cool, but I never understood why people were romantic about that place, I went there my whole life, it was always because some older guy, my dad, a friends dad, etc loved it and I just never got it. But if you miss it, I'm sorry it is gone.

However, it's a great building and I can't wait for it to be something else

5. Default Re: Midtown

I miss the sausage rolls and it was a great source for an old-school birthday cake. Donuts were fine but not great. I never saw much dirtiness there; only clutter. But the Brown's Bakery worth missing was the one they were in before that, now a parking lot west of the Garage Lofts on the NE corner of 13th and Robinson.

I mean, I have felt it was awful for decades. It was mostly a like, zillion square feet donut shop, and they weren't even one of the best donut shops. The service was always bad, it was always pretty dirty.

It was just old, and old sometimes means interesting and cool, but I never understood why people were romantic about that place, I went there my whole life, it was always because some older guy, my dad, a friends dad, etc loved it and I just never got it. But if you miss it, I'm sorry it is gone.

However, it's a great building and I can't wait for it to be something else
    lol, now if we want to talk about old and wacky, not good, but unique enough to matter, how is coney Island still open?!?! That one is literally my dads favorite and while it is terrible food wise, I have to admit, I'm massively impressed that a boiled hotdog stand has somehow survived and with the tragic demise of The Lunch Box (RIP, cross over heart, pour one on the curb) I'm quite thankful Coney Island has survived. It's like the last piece of sketchy downtown of my early 80's childhood still alive. I think all the time about going to pawn and junk stores all over Broadway when I was a kid, stopping by at Benchmark to get Lotus brochures and then popping in to Coney Island for hotdogs and chips.

7. Default Re: Midtown

lol, now if we want to talk about old and wacky, not good, but unique enough to matter, how is coney Island still open?!?! That one is literally my dads favorite and while it is terrible food wise, I have to admit, I'm massively impressed that a boiled hotdog stand has somehow survived and with the tragic demise of The Lunch Box (RIP, cross over heart, pour one on the curb) I'm quite thankful Coney Island has survived. It's like the last piece of sketchy downtown of my early 80's childhood still alive. I think all the time about going to pawn and junk stores all over Broadway when I was a kid, stopping by at Benchmark to get Lotus brochures and then popping in to Coney Island for hotdogs and chips.
    Right! I have memories of rollerbladding in the mid 90's around there and downtown. You would see a rent boy get out of car and then grab a dog and and a drink. Sketchy, sketchy, sketchy, but good for people watching.

Hear hear! I agree with all of this, starting with Lunch Box - tragic, irreplaceable loss.

I'm so down for Coney Island I think I'll go there for lunch next week.

9. Default Re: Midtown

Anyone who thinks Louie's is "the literal worst restaurant in Oklahoma" needs to have their head examined or hasn't eaten out much. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Anyone who thinks Louie's is "the literal worst restaurant in Oklahoma" needs to have their head examined or hasn't eaten out much. Sorry.
    I wouldn't say it is the worst restaurant in Oklahoma but reminds me of a college bar with so-so food/menu and drinks that are usually prepared well but isn't very exciting or inspired. It serves a purpose and some of my staff would eat there for lunch occasionally. I think it is the weakest of the Hal Smith brands. Pub W is similar type concept but the menu/food/drinks are much more interesting and flavorful.

11. Default Re: Midtown

I wouldn't call it the worst and I actually like the food, but the atmosphere sucks and sometimes the place is a little dirty. I just don't ever think about it as an option, kind of like Toby Keith's bar and grill.

Blog Entries

And yet, every time I pass Louis on the lake, the parking lot is packed. I guess some people like it well enough.

Diversity in types of eating establishments is important too. Every dining experience doesn't have to be "fabulous". Sometimes it's just fun to go meet your friends in a regular bar and grille and have nachos or a hamburger. Louis is just fine and you might argue an important piece of the dining fabric.

13. Default Re: Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    I wouldn't call it the worst and I actually like the food, but the atmosphere sucks and sometimes the place is a little dirty. I just don't ever think about it as an option, kind of like Toby Keith's bar and grill.
    I frequented the Louie's in Midtown for years until its unfortunate demise. I visit the Louie's on Lake Hefner frequently, too, and the one on Campus Corner in Norman on most OU game days. The atmosphere at those locations is/was just fine and exactly what you would expect from a neighborhood pub-type operation. They must have at least 10 or more locations or so in Oklahoma, including Stillwater, Yukon, Midwest City, etc., so it's not like the concept is a failure.

Look, Louie's is obviously not Pub W, Cheddar's, Cheesecake Factory or Charleston's, but it's not supposed to be. It competes in the Chili's / Applebee's / Red Robin casual/neighborhood pub market and, in my opinion, does a pretty good job of it. No, it's not fine dining, but it's a local chain that I would much rather visit than those others. The food is decent and reasonably priced, the beer is cheap, and there are plenty of TV's to watch games on. Ain't nothing wrong with that. I just wish they would bring back the Gobble Gobble turkey sandwich!

14. Default Re: Midtown

I frequented the Louie's in Midtown for years until its unfortunate demise. I visit the Louie's on Lake Hefner frequently, too, and the one on Campus Corner in Norman on most OU game days. The atmosphere at those locations is/was just fine and exactly what you would expect from a neighborhood pub-type operation. They must have at least 10 or more locations or so in Oklahoma, including Stillwater, Yukon, Midwest City, etc., so it's not like the concept is a failure.

Look, Louie's is obviously not Pub W, Cheddar's, Cheesecake Factory or Charleston's, but it's not supposed to be. It competes in the Chili's / Applebee's / Red Robin casual/neighborhood pub market and, in my opinion, does a pretty good job of it. No, it's not fine dining, but it's a local chain that I would much rather visit than those others. The food is decent and reasonably priced, the beer is cheap, and there are plenty of TV's to watch games on. Ain't nothing wrong with that. I just wish they would bring back the Gobble Gobble turkey sandwich!
    I think you sparked why I don't really go that often. I grew up going to Chili's and Applebee's. I don't hate any of that food, but it just wasn't exciting to me and I like diversity of flavors. If I need a no nonsense meal I will definitely be going to Louie's. There are just so many options now and it isn't one that I think of often, especially now that the Midtown location is closed. I live in the Urban Core so driving out to the other locations isn't really on my to do list.

It's definitely not "the literal worst" but it's definitely not among the "literal best" either.

I went to the Midtown location three times. Once more for drinks than food. The food was OK but I didn't even care for their French fries. Simple diner food is actually better, tbh. Certainly nothing special, and definitely considering there are like a million locations elsewhere.

A neighborhood pub is a great idea for that space. Maybe something a little more unique with slightly better execution will take that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    And yet, every time I pass Louis on the lake, the parking lot is packed. I guess some people like it well enough.

Diversity in types of eating establishments is important too. Every dining experience doesn't have to be "fabulous". Sometimes it's just fun to go meet your friends in a regular bar and grille and have nachos or a hamburger. Louis is just fine and you might argue an important piece of the dining fabric.
    I don’t disagree but the right setting and/or atmosphere can make most places appear busy. To my imagination, there’s not many things that could locate in one of the more unique settings in the city and not stay fairly busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The parking lot is always packed because people park there to bike, run and walk the trail around the lake lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by okcrun View Post
    The parking lot is always packed because people park there to bike, run and walk the trail around the lake lol
    There are other parking lots and a few might leave from there, but Louis is full of business a lot.

Im pretty sure this is mid-town but maybe not..but it sounds like the 2 houses on the jimmys egg block got approved to be demolished to make way for a really nice apartment complex

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	18522

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicthunder View Post
    Im pretty sure this is mid-town but maybe not..but it sounds like the 2 houses on the jimmys egg block got approved to be demolished to make way for a really nice apartment complex

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	18522
    https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...ghlight=mckown

From Midtown Renaissance on Twitter:

We are excited to announce that we have acquired the property at 440 NW 11th St and have begun the restoration process! Stay tuned for more information and updates on this project.

Any idea what their planning here?

Quote Originally Posted by jennbrow View Post
    Any idea what their planning here?
    I'm sure they are looking at getting another good restaurant in there.

And I hope someone can finally realizes the potential of what had been the bar on the 2nd level. Absolutely fantastic space with a nice view.

24. Default Re: Midtown

^^^^^^^^
    Which they basically obliterated with a remodel a number of years ago. Hopefully that will be re-thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    Which they basically obliterated with a remodel a number of years ago. Hopefully that will be re-thought.
    this is exactly correct ... they expanded the inside with the renovation but destroyed the great patio .. .which is why we went there ..

Thread Information