Widgets Magazine
Page 91 of 141 FirstFirst ... 418687888990919293949596 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 3525

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Quote Originally Posted by securityinfo View Post
    Paywall :-(
    Apparently Tulsa world only lets you view a certain amount of articles. I was able to get to THAT article, but on my next article is said to subscribe. Try incognito mode, worked for me.

Sheesh, not really sure what to make of all this. I'm not sure that her antics really help or hurt the cause. I'm REALLY curious to know what her motivations were.

Was she secretly pro 788 and trying to convince others at the Health Department that "the movement" is threatening personal harm so they should act in compliance with their wishes?

Or was she anti 788 and trying to make the movement seem like a dangerous band of hooligans?

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    Sheesh, not really sure what to make of all this. I'm not sure that her antics really help or hurt the cause. I'm REALLY curious to know what her motivations were.

Was she secretly pro 788 and trying to convince others at the Health Department that "the movement" is threatening personal harm so they should act in compliance with their wishes?

Or was she anti 788 and trying to make the movement seem like a dangerous band of hooligans?
    My money is on the later. "Lock her up".

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    My money is on the later. "Lock her up".
    Haha, you're prob. correct.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    The signature-gatherer must meet certain criteria. I believe that one condition is that they must be Oklahoma residents. If not, then every signature they have obtained must be thrown out.
    I would imagine they probably look for duplicate signatures as well

Edited post**

I was wrong & confused about who proposed the changes. My bad PW405.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I'm more concerned over how important it is for the info written down to be legible for the signature to count. What if the printed name and/or address can't be made out?

https://twitter.com/megwingerter/sta...814489091?s=21

AG told them to go fix it. Whether that means add more language to defend smokeable or strip it we don’t know yet.

Say goodbye to those dumb rules. AG just told them to repeal them.

https://newsok.com/article/5601783/s...ards-authority

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Say goodbye to those dumb rules. AG just told them to repeal them.

https://newsok.com/article/5601783/s...ards-authority
    Article mentions the THC limits and pharmacist requirement (perhaps the most restrictive and damaging of all these rules) but doesn't mention the whole issue of smokeable forms being forbidden. I guess we'll see when more information becomes available.

Edited: Nevermind. This Tulsa World article states clearly that that's part of his recommendations. https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/mari...095112c50.html

You can read AG Hunter's entire letter here:

https://oag.publishpath.com/Websites...07.18.2018.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I posted earlier about what they check for invalid signatures (yes, they check for duplicate signatures), as well as clarifying that signature collectors *do not* have to be OK residents now (they used to have to be, but a court ruling changed that).

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...51#post1040651

Fallin calls on Health Dept to rescind those last minute rules. Didn't she sign those rules into law about as fast as she possibly could?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Fallin calls on Health Dept to rescind those last minute rules. Didn't she sign those rules into law about as fast as she possibly could?
    Just another example of her foolish "governing".

It's going to be hysterical when these rules are repealed but the momentary surge of outrage about them leads to recreational marijuana coming to Oklahoma. Whoopsies!

My state rep signed both petitions while commenting he thinks the Oklahoma Constitution is too long. He thinks a special session is likely after the runoff elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    My state rep signed both petitions while commenting he thinks the Oklahoma Constitution is too long. He thinks a special session is likely after the runoff elections.
    this is an issue that i wish both parties in the legislature would fix

our state gov would run so much better if most things were just laws that could be changed over time instead of almost everything being a constitutional amendment

Repealing the entire constitution and starting from scratch wouldn’t be a bad thing.

19. Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Radio news this morning said the state doesn’t think the petitions can be verified in time for the November ballot.

Yeah, and the conspiracy theories are already flowing. However, there is a built in legal process which makes the timing tight, especially considering the time for the election board to get the ballots done and certified and the early and absentee ballots out.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Yeah, and the conspiracy theories are already flowing. However, there is a built in legal process which makes the timing tight, especially considering the time for the election board to get the ballots done and certified and the early and absentee ballots out.
    Then what is the good of having a deadline to get the petition in? Maybe they need to change the deadline date? More foolishness IMO.

Then what is the good of having a deadline to get the petition in? Maybe they need to change the deadline date? More foolishness IMO.
    Because constitutionally there's a limit on the amount of days to be circulated (90 days I believe). And by law this 90 timer can't start more than 15 days after the initial petition has been filed and any appeals or challenges have been concluded (and that's after a 10 day period for folks to file an objection). Then there is a 5 day review process by the AG to confirm the legality of the ballot title, and another 10 days if necessary they have to provide a corrected ballot. So theoretically this 15 day gap could be eliminated or shortened to a day or two.

Then they publish a notice and there's a mandatory 10 day waiting period for objections to be filed to the completed initiative. Assuming no objections, it then gets a proclamation from the governor publishing the text and the date on which the election will be held. And of course there has to be time for the ballots to be prepared and such.

So at the minimum, there's at least 125-170 days needed for a ballot initiative to go through the process. The start of this is typically mostly controlled by the folks doing the petition. Just like with 788, they may have started too late for November.

It's way more complicated than that. So after an initiative petition is initially filed with the Oklahoma Secretary of State and the Attorney General, that kicks off a process of variable length before the circulation of petitions and signature collection can even begin. The SoS sets the SQ and Petition numbers, notifies the governor and election board, and then publishes a public Notice of Filing - allowing up to 10 days for any citizen to protest the constitutionality of the petition. If someone does protest, then that begins another 10-day (minimum) process to allow for hearings and a decision from the state Supreme Court. Once any legal controversy is settled, then the SoS has up to 30 days to set a date to begin the circulation period to gather signatures. The petition has a maximum of 90 days from that date to collect and return signatures. The full process is outlined here: https://www.sos.ok.gov/gov/petition_process.aspx

This is all enshrined in law. As a result of all of that, you can't just change the deadline. You have to start the whole process early, but that won't even guarantee an early petition deadline if there are multiple legal challenges after filing. The petitioner has little control over when their final deadline is set.

EDIT: Ha! Jerrywall beat me to the punch. I didn't type fast enough! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    It's way more complicated than that. So after an initiative petition is initially filed with the Oklahoma Secretary of State and the Attorney General, that kicks off a process of variable length before the circulation of petitions and signature collection can even begin. The SoS sets the SQ and Petition numbers, notifies the governor and election board, and then publishes a public Notice of Filing - allowing up to 10 days for any citizen to protest the constitutionality of the petition. If someone does protest, then that begins another 10-day (minimum) process to allow for hearings and a decision from the state Supreme Court. Once any legal controversy is settled, then the SoS has up to 30 days to set a date to begin the circulation period to gather signatures. The petition has a maximum of 90 days from that date to collect and return signatures. The full process is outlined here: https://www.sos.ok.gov/gov/petition_process.aspx

This is all enshrined in law. As a result of all of that, you can't just change the deadline. You have to start the whole process early, but that won't even guarantee an early petition deadline if there are multiple legal challenges after filing. The petitioner has little control over when their final deadline is set.

EDIT: Ha! Jerrywall beat me to the punch. I didn't type fast enough! Lol.

Good job explaining that , both of you guys. I guess we will have to wait and see for sure but it appears that there's not much of a chance getting it on the ballot this year.

Thread Information