Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hideaway Pizza

Default Re: Hideaway on Western Reopening 9/30/2013

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Larry,
    I have problems (stomach) with tomato items (pizza sauce of course is one of them), and I have discovered the garlic and olive oil glaze (originally at Hideaway) and it suits me to a "T". Several places now offer it. No, I don't want a pizza with no sauce, just want to choose the sauce I use. So, please don't deport me, but if you do, send me to Italy.
    C. T.
    I'm with you. I get bad heartburn from the acid in many of the tomato sauces (Pizza Shuttle is another place which gives me problems) so I'm happy when I can get the garlic and olive oil glaze pizzas. It's actually a very traditional saucing option for pizzas.

Jerrywall,
    My problem isn't heartburn, it's just pure unadulterated pain from some pizza sauces and other things. I ate at an Italian restaurant in New Orleans, veal parmesan and woke up in the middle of the night, praying for death. But I had it at Papa Dio's last week and no problem. So, I just avoid it on pizzas when I can. By the way, Papa Angelo's in Bethany has the garlic and olive oil glaze.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm with you. I get bad heartburn from the acid in many of the tomato sauces (Pizza Shuttle is another place which gives me problems) so I'm happy when I can get the garlic and olive oil glaze pizzas. It's actually a very traditional saucing option for pizzas.

veal parmesan? totally worth the pain. : ) -M

Jerrywall,
    My problem isn't heartburn, it's just pure unadulterated pain from some pizza sauces and other things. I ate at an Italian restaurant in New Orleans, veal parmesan and woke up in the middle of the night, praying for death. But I had it at Papa Dio's last week and no problem. So, I just avoid it on pizzas when I can. By the way, Papa Angelo's in Bethany has the garlic and olive oil glaze.
    C. T.
    I also recommend the Wedge for some good tomato sauce alternatives.

MMM,
    You should have noticed that I ordered it at Papa Dio's last week, so I agree but I don't think I will ever order it again in the really good restaurant in New Orleans. It was excellent, but some herb/spice combined with the tomato based Italian sauce really hurt me. I was almost in tears.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    veal parmesan? totally worth the pain. : ) -M

Jerrywall,
    Thanks, I will have to give them a try. I've been meaning to anyway.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I also recommend the Wedge for some good tomato sauce alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler
    You should have noticed that I ordered it at Papa Dio's last week
    i missed that post... i'm a huge veal parm fan and there aren't many places around town that serve it. will have to check out papa dio's... i think they've been around forever, but have never thought to give it a try. -M

MMM,
    They are very nice, a small place at May and Hefner (just South of Hefner on the East side of the road). They have a "JRW Special" which is a sampler with ravioli, cannelloni, spaghettini with meatballs, veal parmesan, and Italian sausage. It's a lot of food. And of course, they have veal parmesan as an entree. I think you will like them. The place (I forgot their name) at Sooner Road and Reno also serves veal parmesan.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    i missed that post... i'm a huge veal parm fan and there aren't many places around town that serve it. will have to check out papa dio's... i think they've been around forever, but have never thought to give it a try. -M

Prunepicker Guest

Jerrywall,
    ... By the way, Papa Angelo's in Bethany has the garlic and olive oil glaze.
    C. T.
    Papa Angelo's is fab. I like the thin crust pepperoni. I believe the amount
    of sauce is acceptable. I don't like too much sauce.

What is the garlic and olive glaze?

How did the fire happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Papa Angelo's is fab. I like the thin crust pepperoni. I believe the amount
    of sauce is acceptable. I don't like too much sauce.

What is the garlic and olive glaze?
    Basically, instead of tomato sauce, the pizza crust is brushed with garlic and olive oil, before the toppings are added.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    How did the fire happen?
    The Oklahoman article says it was an electrical fire:

UPDATE: Hideaway Pizza on N Western Avenue damaged in Tuesday morning fire in Oklahoma City | News OK

Prunepicker,
    Sorry, you will have to ask Hideaway, Papa Angelo's, and Papa Murphy's (take and bake only), it's just a good replacement for the tomato based pizza sauces.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    What is the garlic and olive glaze?[/B]

I never tried Hideaway Pizza, I doubt it is better than Godfather's and Mazzio's though

Obviously everyone has their own preferences, but my experiences have placed Hideaway so far above those two it isn't even close.

BrettM2,
    I have to agree. I consider Godfather's and Mazzio's "fast food". I no longer go to Hideaway, I prefer the mom and pop places, Nomad II, Papa Angelo's, Papa Dio's, and Two Brothers. I know there are others I need to try, like The Wedge, Upper Crust, Italian Jim's, Jo's et al...
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    Obviously everyone has their own preferences, but my experiences have placed Hideaway so far above those two it isn't even close.

It wasn't fair for me to imply that Hideaway's isn't a "mom and pop" store. They are even though it is a small chain, and I believe they are all owned by the founder? Anyway, my statement about the places I prefer still stands. I miss Sussy's but Nomad II serves the Sussy's style (I believe they have the recipe since it used to be a Sussy's store). It's not totally original, but the crust is superb and seems to be exactly the same.
    C. T.

I tried Papa Murphy's 2 weeks ago, it was decent but maybe I will try Hideway Pizza this weekend, do they have any locations in Norman?

19. Default Re: Hideaway on Western Reopening 9/30/2013

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    I tried Papa Murphy's 2 weeks ago, it was decent but maybe I will try Hideway Pizza this weekend, do they have any locations in Norman?
    Yes, they have one on Campus Corner.

J.J.'s Pizza Stop
    on Lindsey is pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Yes, they have one on Campus Corner.

J.J.'s Pizza Stop
    on Lindsey is pretty good too.
    Cool, I will try both

Default Re: Hideaway Pizza

Plans have been filed for a new Hideaway on the SE corner of NW 178th and Western.

The building plan looks to be very similar to the 2-story location at NW 50th and Western, although with a patio on the east side.

I keep waiting for them to say they are building near covell and i35! They would kill it in that area. Grab the south Guthrie market.

Too bad my wife doesn't like their pizza. I can use the fried mushrooms as an incentive, though.

Looking forward to this. I have never liked the current Edmond location, hoping this will be as good as the one on Western.

I really like the 2-story layout at 50th & Western and glad to see they are replicating it.

Thread Information