Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

Default Re: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Believe me, I would love to see a lighter rail service like Salt Lake City or Portland and possibly an even more extensive LRS those cities have. Also, I agree with ou48A that a car does bring freedom and I just wouldn't feel that same sense riding a train everyday as I would a car. But I still would love to see a LRS running from the airport to Downtown, Edmond, Norman, MWC and possibly Yukon.
    You should trying riding a train on a regular basis before saying it doesn't provide freedom. Honestly, you don't know freedom until you aren't dependent on a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    You should trying riding a train on a regular basis before saying it doesn't provide freedom. Honestly, you don't know freedom until you aren't dependent on a car.

This! +1.

Those of us who actually live in Norman may have received a pamphlet about this bond package from the city today.
    Among other things they wrote the following about Lindsey Street.

Why is the West Lindsey Street Project included in this Bond program?

The West Lindsey street corridor between Interstate 35 and Berry Road is the

NUMBER #1 traffic congested corridor in the Oklahoma City metropolitan area;

It has one of the highest traffic accident rates in Norman and includes one of the more significant storm water problems in Norman. In addition, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation has scheduled the widening of I-35 and the replacement of the I-35 / Lindsey Street interchange in 2016, so the timing is ideal to extend the improvements east of the interstate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As reasonable people can see congestion on west Lindsey Street is horrible.

Lindsey Street is even more congested east of Berry Road toward campus to ASP Ave.
    This is why this stretch of Lindsey Street must also be widened to 4/5 lanes.

4. Default Re: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    As reasonable people can see congestion on west Lindsey Street is horrible.

Lindsey Street is even more congested east of Berry Road toward campus to ASP Ave.
    This is why this stretch of Lindsey Street must also be widened to 4/5 lanes.
    Never going to happen. I would say the addition of a central turning lane is about as good as it will get. Or why not improvise?

Add a center lane with but have it reverse direction during peak hours. When traffic is greatest going to campus, it it 2 lanes East, 1 lane West. When it is the end of the day and most are leaving campus, then it is reversed. The center lane can be added pretty easily with the room available.

I think Berry West to 35 on Lindsey is a good first step. Trouble is ... much of the balance of the package leaves me rather cold. Decisions, decisions.

6. Default Re: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I think Berry West to 35 on Lindsey is a good first step. Trouble is ... much of the balance of the package leaves me rather cold. Decisions, decisions.
    I like the part that includes 24th from Robinson to Lindsey as it is a main artery through that area and is nearly completely developed. The 4 lanes to 2 lanes to 4 to 2 back to 4 isn't the safest setup. Not to mention the intersection at Robinson is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Never going to happen. I would say the addition of a central turning lane is about as good as it will get. Or why not improvise?

Add a center lane with but have it reverse direction during peak hours. When traffic is greatest going to campus, it it 2 lanes East, 1 lane West. When it is the end of the day and most are leaving campus, then it is reversed. The center lane can be added pretty easily with the room available.
    Even though it’s needed, it may not be 4/5 lanes in my life time, but I think we could see something like you what you suggest in another 10 years or so.

I like the idea of a 3 lane reverse direction street during peak hours.

8. Default Re: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

I think the reverse lane idea would do wonders for traffic in that area with minimal impact to the neighborhood. During non-peak hours it can operate as just a typical center turning lane.

Now if we could just get them to build a Hwy 9 overpass of 24th SW and get rid of that traffic light.

... Add a center lane with but have it reverse direction during peak hours. When traffic is greatest going to campus, it it 2 lanes East, 1 lane West. When it is the end of the day and most are leaving campus, then it is reversed. The center lane can be added pretty easily with the room available.
    It is one thing to alter traffic flow direction a couple of Saturdays out of the year (do they still do that? I avoid the area on game days.)

But to suggest it happen daily ... you have far greater confidence in the comprehension skills of many drivers in Norman than I can muster up. We have numerous folks who don't adapt well to change, even long term change. Start switching it up every day on a stretch of road, and oh, mama.

10. Default Re: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

It is one thing to alter traffic flow direction a couple of Saturdays out of the year (do they still do that? I avoid the area on game days.)

But to suggest it happen daily ... you have far greater confidence in the comprehension skills of many drivers in Norman than I can muster up. We have numerous folks who don't adapt well to change, even long term change. Start switching it up every day on a stretch of road, and oh, mama.
    Yes Lindsey still goes completely one way during game days.

I guess it just takes getting use to reversible lanes. Many large cities have them on interstates to assist with rush hour traffic. The bridge and tunnel between Detroit and Windsor also uses them (if I remember correctly). It isn't too hard of a concept to understand. No more confusing than the flashing yellow turn singles going in now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible_lane

There is or was a street in Wichita KS that used the reversible street concept for several decades.
    Consider it a learning experience for drivers.

12. Default Re: Norman Transportation Plan "Moving Forward"

Brilliant idea... it isn't that difficult either... just add the red x's/green arrows above the road and keep it moving.

Buddy our ideas of freedom are completely different then

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Buddy our ideas of freedom are completely different then

There are many very good reasons why many people don’t like living stacked one on top of another. The car has liberated and given hundreds of millions higher levels of personal freedom and increased their quality of life by many, many times.

Having said that, when and where congestion justifies it… I am all for commuter rail and light rail options…. but they hardly represents a solution to all our transportation problems.

In a prosperous society the car will remain the dominate form of transportation for a strong majority of people for the foreseeable future in the USA. The only real question is what fuel will they use?

This is the crux of the debate - is it really freedom if you are absolutely dependent on ownership of an automobile to work, shop, play, or any other activity? I would like the choice of mass transit or car as needed. As a person that hates waste, I am appalled as I drive alone in my car to/from work every day. I plan to eventually move within walking distance of my employer, or insure there is a mass transit choice available. I think the streetcar has the potential to be even more transformative of how OKC citizens live, work, and play than we think possible presently.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    This is the crux of the debate - is it really freedom if you are absolutely dependent on ownership of an automobile to work, shop, play, or any other activity? I would like the choice of mass transit or car as needed.
    It sucks that freedom cost me over $10,000 per year. That is 2,000 trips on SEPTA.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I traveled across this bridge about 15 times in the last month. Let me tell you, it not only is brilliant, but it works. Sure, there is still congestion, but math is math. There are simply fewer cars and frankly less disruptive from a long-distance commute perspective going one direction at any time. It makes sense.
    That is also done on the Golden Gate Bridge. It is a six lane bridge and during peak traffic hours it becomes four lanes in one direction and two in the other direction.

Thread Information