Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Trader Joe's

this is the back of the trader joe's in dallas on greenville. it's stand-alone and this is their parking lot.

I understand and appreciate Pete's explanation from earlier in the thread about of why out-of-state, risk-averse CRE pros would cluster a Trader Joe's near a Whole Foods (and a mile from a Sprout's). But as a local, I don't care; that still seems really stupid to me.

I'd put it on (1) Broadway, around 13th St. or so, (2) 23rd street, somewhat close to Broadway or (3) SE corner of NW 36th and Western. It'd kill in any of those places. In fact, even if they do put a Trader Joes in Nichols Hills, I'd put another one in either of the first two locations, and it would still do well.

The stand-alone TJ's out here frequently have cars backing up into the street, waiting for a space.

It's so bad that I hate even driving by those stores and absolutely never go in them.

Blog Entries

Option 3 is very intriguing to me. Hadn't considered that one before...

They will certainly have multiple locations, especially since they are smaller stores.

Here's how they could be distributed:

1. 63rd & Western
    2. Midtown / Downtown
    3. NW Expressway & Rockwell
    4. Memorial and May
    5. I-240 Penn
    6. Norman
    7. Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They will certainly have multiple locations, especially since they are smaller stores.

1. 63rd & Western
    2. Midtown / Downtown
    4. Memorial and May
    5. I-240 Penn
    6. Norman
    7. Edmond
    I really wish they would clear out the strip shopping center on the SE/C of 23rd and May and put it there. Then I could walk to it instead of driving to Sprouts.

1. 63rd & Western
    2. Midtown / Downtown
    4. Memorial and May
    5. I-240 Penn
    6. Norman
    7. Edmond
    I have no idea about the zoning of this parcel of land, but there is a location on Penn just north of 150th I thought would make a great location for Trader Joe's - TONS of rooftops within walking distance, not that anyone would, and on a main thoroughfare. In my perfect world, the building would be pushed to the sidewalk and parking in back and have space for a couple specialty shops. This goes again my normal preference to fill empty strip malls before building new ones, but that location seems perfect.

They will certainly have multiple locations, especially since they are smaller store.
    I'm sure you're correct. They are opening 4 stores in the Denver/Boulder area in February on the same date.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm sure you're correct. They are opening 4 stores in the Denver/Boulder area in February on the same date.
    ....and only one (8th & Colorado) will have high point beer and wine, the rest may have 3.2 beer.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    ....and only one (8th & Colorado) will have high point beer and wine, the rest may have 3.2 beer.
    Does Trader Joe's make 3.2 versions of their beers? I don't think they would sell Bud, Coors, Miller, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Does Trader Joe's make 3.2 versions of their beers? I don't think they would sell Bud, Coors, Miller, etc.
    I don't know, never been in one of them. They may not sell any beer at all in the other locations, there are other specialty brands which are available in 3.2. I guess I will find out after they open.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The wine/beer operation is physically separated from the food. They share a wall with windows but you have to go outside and back in after getting food to get the wine/beer. Both entrances front Colorado Blvd with the food area off the parking lot and the beer/wine area off 8th.

These are nice enough stores but I still prefer a larger grocery store with a meat /fish counter, more varieties of brands and a larger selection of non-food items (paper towels, napkins, etc). They are good for an occasional trip for specialty items, or if you live nearby they are convenient because of their small size.

Dan, I haven't done grocery site selection before, but I don't think Broadway at 13th or 23rd would work because both are on the geographic edge of their target customer, although 13th Street a little less-so. The killer site for my money would be either NH Plaza or the Midtown area bounded by 10th, 13th, Walker & Robinson.

What are the boundaries of Nichols Hills? Could they put it on the SE/C of 63rd and Grand where that office buiding used to be facing north so they still have 63rd street frontage?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    What are the boundaries of Nichols Hills? Could they put it on the SE/C of 63rd and Grand where that office buiding used to be facing north so they still have 63rd street frontage?
    Nichols Hills is only north of 63rd.

Also, I know there are covenants in the Whole Foods lease that prohibits most food businesses from that entire area.

I-240 and Penn would be exciting for me!

KC only has two. I don't think we will have more than 2 for a while. Only other reason would be to have one in Norman and Edmond but that's unlikely. I bet they start with 1 for a while.

Interesting exchange on Steve's chat this morning...

Comment From Sooner Than Later: Last week you mentioned your sources telling you that Aubrey cleared out the wrong spot at NHP in relation to a future store (Trader Joes). Are you able to clarify where in NHP a better spot is for a store than what is currently available.

Steve Lackmeyer: Don't be surprised if Trader Joe's opens up in another section of Nichols HIlls Plaza.

That would point to the west side, SW of Ruth Meyers & Cool Greens, NW of CK&Co. The parking and ingress/egress is certainly better.

Quote Originally Posted by tomokc View Post
    That would point to the west side, SW of Ruth Meyers & Cool Greens, NW of CK&Co. The parking and ingress/egress is certainly better.

You mean the building on the far west side of the southern section, that runs north and south?

TJ's needs at least 8,000 square feet... Is there enough vacant space in that building?

Of course, they could easily move some of the existing tenants. I know there is a dry cleaners and some other things there.

Everyone in that building is gone except for a couple of small office users at the north.

C'mon, Pete, you're a big data guy. Don't you have this square footage in one of your Cray Supercomputers somewhere?

The building is certainly big enough, I was just wondering about vacancy.

Last time I was there (and took that first photo) there was a dry cleaners and some other tenants, as you can see by the cars out front.

Did they move them all out recently? And if so, where did they go?

And BTW, with a TJ's that parking lot is going to be absolutely slammed.

I'm hearing that NH Plaza is set to close by the end of the month, and I bet we'll see a deal with Trader Joe's announced almost immediately.

Selling to an out of state investor, by the way.

Not sure if this also includes Classen Curve.

I'm hearing that NH Plaza is set to close by the end of the month, and I bet we'll see a deal with Trader Joe's announced almost immediately.

Selling to an out of state investor, by the way.

Not sure if this also includes Classen Curve.
    I miss the old fashioned soda fountain in the drug store. I believe it was the last real soda fountain and grill in Oklahoma City. Thanks McClendon.

the TJs i've been to in cali, ft worth and denver have all been freestanding. schaumberg, il and (obviously) NYC have not.

great prepared salads, as i picked up a couple for my wife and i for lunch in nyc last week. also, a good selection of whole bean coffee.

i'm looking forward to an anouncement

Yeah, now what becomes of all that space that Crescent Market and the drug store once occupied?

The Crescent space is big and deep and if not used for a grocery concept, I'm not sure who is going in there.

The City of NH had to raise prices for it's services due to the drastic decrease in sales tax revenue as well.

Chesapeake still owns scores of properties all around the plaza, including about 50 condos in the adjacent complexes they could never completely buy out.

Also, the gas stations and other small parcels on 63rd.

Thread Information