Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStrings View Post
    I noticed that the LA2028 website lists Lake Perris as the site for the rowing and canoe sprint competitions rather than Long Beach Marine Stadium as was previously planned.
    That was the original site for the bid, it was later moved to Long Beach. Given the style of the website, it probably was contracted out to a 3rd party to be created before they were awarded the bid or shortly after, and do not have anyone on staff with capacity to make edits.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    That was the original site for the bid, it was later moved to Long Beach. Given the style of the website, it probably was contracted out to a 3rd party to be created before they were awarded the bid or shortly after, and do not have anyone on staff with capacity to make edits.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the insight. That gives me slightly more hope that we could land those events.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    yes, hopefully the market will respond in kind. Would LOVE to see highrise Marriott, Hyatt, Westin, and Hilton added to downtown. ...
    OMG, give me a JW or Ritz-Carlton! OKC could never. lol (Well, maybe one day!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Hardly silly. It’s an objectively more credible outcome when an athlete competes and wins vs a clock, a physical limitation, a weight, a goal, as opposed to competing for the favor of a judge. Some sports (for instance figure skating or gymnastics) even have outcomes that hinge on personal demeanor. THAT’S what silly looks like.
    I don’t think you really understand the scoring systems and how judging is done. Amateurs rarely understand the finer points so they assume there isn’t objectivity.

5. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Rover. Commentators openly discuss on-air the idea that smiling and a confident look help sell routines. That’s subjectivity in spades. In the past, Soviet bloc judges openly favored Soviet bloc competitors, and even today there are routinely controversies attributed to nationalism and other non-sports elements. Do a Google search for Olympic sports controversy and fraud and see what sports proliferate in the results. It’s the overwhelmingly the judged competitions. Bias is real. If I’m an athlete I’d rather win or lose based on whether I ran faster, jumped higher, threw further or more accurately.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Rover. Commentators openly discuss on-air the idea that smiling and a confident look help sell routines. That’s subjectivity in spades. In the past, Soviet bloc judges openly favored Soviet bloc competitors, and even today there are routinely controversies attributed to nationalism and other non-sports elements. Do a Google search for Olympic sports controversy and fraud and see what sports proliferate in the results. It’s the overwhelmingly the judged competitions. Bias is real. If I’m an athlete I’d rather win or lose based on whether I ran faster, jumped higher, threw further or more accurately.
    Guess we can throw out basketball, baseball, soccer, softball, etc, etc that all use judgment by officials as part of the game. Lol.

To deny there is a measurable difference in performance in things like gymnastics, skating, etc is just not true. You don’t just give participation trophies and all scoring is just whimsical. And, there isn’t a preponderance of black helicopters hovering over the matches. There can be cheating and corruption in any sport …. Illegal drugs in those unassailable sports you value. But to deny there is objective judging is just incorrect. Some athletes ARE better than others even if the untrained can’t see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I don’t think you really understand the scoring systems and how judging is done. Amateurs rarely understand the finer points so they assume there isn’t objectivity.
    The Performance Component part of figure skating scoring literally CANNOT be objective:

Skating Skills - Overall skating quality, including edge control and flow over the ice surface (edges, steps, turns, speed, etc.), clarity of technique and use of effortless power to accelerate and vary speed.

Transitions - The varied and/or intricate footwork, positions, movement and holds that link all elements.

Performance - The involvement of the skater physically, emotionally and intellectually in translating the music and choreography.

Composition - An intentional, developed and/or original arrangement of all types of movements according to the principles of proportion, unity, space, pattern, structure and phrasing.

Interpretation of Music - The personal and creative translation of the music to the movement on the ice.

I think the difference in basketball, baseball, soccer, and softball is that those games are over an hour long and one bad call may not necessarily tilt the balance of the game.

In gymnastics and similar sports, you have top athletes that are pretty close to each other in skill level competing in a two minute routine where you could have two performances that could both be considered 'perfect' and a smile made the difference. A fraction of a point made the difference. This really only happens in the Olympics when the best of the best are competing.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but there are important differences in these sports.

9. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Guess we can throw out basketball, baseball, soccer, softball, etc, etc that all use judgment by officials as part of the game. Lol.

To deny there is a measurable difference in performance in things like gymnastics, skating, etc is just not true. You don’t just give participation trophies and all scoring is just whimsical...
    Tired argument, and a complete misrepresentation of what I said. I never indicated that there are no measurable differences in performance in those events. What a wild mischaracterization; I’d expect better from you.

Obviously officiants in any sport can unfairly influence an outcome. The difference being that those who are officiating events like basketball, baseball, et al are largely there to spot distances, make sure to that bodies, balls, pucks remain within the boundaries of play, keep time, make certain that basic rules are being obeyed, etc.. They are generally NOT there to grade flourish, style, technique, or how imaginative an athlete’s routine is.

The All Star NBA slam dunk competition is fun to watch, but literally NOBODY sees the results as especially important, or would rather regularly watch that event over actual basketball. And you don’t award extra points for a one-handed catch or for entertaining end zone celebrations in football. OU’s softball team didn’t win the WCWS by having the best smiles when they made catches, or the best form when they swung the bat.

If golf were based on style points neither Arnold Palmer nor Lee Trevino would have ever been allowed on tour, much less would have won dozens of championships and ended their careers as legends.

Clearly, the outcomes of competitive athletic exhibitions such as gymnastics and figure skating are largely performance-based. I never said anything different. And clearly the participants at the Olympic level are world-class athletes. I’m only saying that the addition of style points and reliance upon the subjective opinions of others potentially diminishes the legitimacy of outcomes vs sports that don’t using grading systems.

Well, I'm pretty sure Gymnastics and Figure Skating are usually the most watched Olympic sports in the summer and winter games, respectively.

College football is pretty popular, especially around here, and it's used a highly subjective method of deciding a champion for most its history and even now still uses an "expert panel" to decide who gets to be the teams to play for a championship. Actually, most college team sports use a committee voting system to select playoff teams. And that's on top of the many in-game subjective calls including "demeanor" fouls like taunting and excessive celebration.

The most popular sport in the world features some of the most hilarious displays of flopping as a feature. lol

I get what you are saying, but it really is hard to find a sport, especially a team sport, that is not affected by subjective rule and "selection committees" are a big part of college sports. There doesn't seem to be an obvious correlation, positive or negative, between subjective rule and popularity, either. Honestly, I wouldn't discount the possibility of controversy and political / nationalistic bias being a draw to a lot of people who watch Olympic sports like gymnastics and figure skating. People love the drama.

Any rumblings for when an announcement will come? I recall reading it would potentially come this month. Is that still the expectation?

Quote Originally Posted by smitteebc View Post
    Any rumblings for when an announcement will come? I recall reading it would potentially come this month. Is that still the expectation?
    It's been stated as in the Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by smitteebc View Post
    It was never said this month.

They will announce all venues by the end of the year and possibly as early as sometime this fall.

I believe you've got the RUMORED announcement date for the new Thunder stadium confused with the announcement for the 2028 olympics.

No doubt if this happens, the quality and consistency of OKC's mayors for the last 20 years (and arguably 35) has got to be a major reason why we would be entrusted with these events by Los Angeles. At the end of the day, the success of the whole Olympics falls at LA's feet, so it's incredible to see an international, Tier I city partner with us.

I hope Holt is the mayor in 2028 (doubt he runs for a third term, though). Him as our main representative would be great!

Why wouldn’t he run again? Him being mayor during this would be a huge accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    No doubt if this happens, the quality and consistency of OKC's mayors for the last 20 years (and arguably 35) has got to be a major reason why we would be entrusted with these events by Los Angeles. At the end of the day, the success of the whole Olympics falls at LA's feet, so it's incredible to see an international, Tier I city partner with us.
    keep in mind that the LA Olympics are for all intents being privately run ..

Remember that Holt is in tight with former (and popular) L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti who led the bid for LA28.

Garcetti was mayor up to 2021 when he resigned to become the ambassador to India.

In fact, Holt hosted Garcetti at the Boathouse District:

https://www.facebook.com/MayorDavidH...6873098465998/

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    keep in mind that the LA Olympics are for all intents being privately run ..
    Be that as it may, the world will always see it is a success or failure of that particular city.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Not sure what if any impact mayors have on the decision, but Holt is good friends with the mayor of LA and is about to be president of the US Conference of Mayors.

EDIT: Sorry I missed Pete's post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Why wouldn’t he run again? Him being mayor during this would be a huge accomplishment.
    Because it's a very difficult job? Because he wants to do something else? There are reasons why he wouldn't. I hope he gives it another go.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    My biggest thing is he is now the dean of the OCU law school. That is, IMO, more demanding than his old job at Hall Capital.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Because it's a very difficult job? Because he wants to do something else? There are reasons why he wouldn't. I hope he gives it another go.
    it doesn’t sound like he’s going to seek higher office (governor, etc) for the next election cycle so I hope he does one more term as well.

***deleted***

Was informed that a quote in the article I had posted and linked was incorrect.

No one affiliated with the Olympic process -- either in LA or OKC -- can or will talk about much of anything until there is an official announcement.

I still think the word will come down in the next few months.

Thread Information