Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Avenue District

Default Re: Western Avenue District

Hearing that when the Drum Room opens, Nova will be closed for remodel and open as a new concept. I was told it'll be more of a neighborhood pub, which is good news.

Good. So where will all the yuppies go?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Hearing that when the Drum Room opens, Nova will be closed for remodel and open as a new concept. I was told it'll be more of a neighborhood pub, which is good news.
    I remember with John Paul Merritt (owner was talking about how NOVA was the future of OKC in 5 years). Glad he was way wrong.

Blog Entries

I thought the food at Nova was good and not the same-o-same-o.

I have not been there in a few years but the last time I went the food was basically inedible and the service was atrocious. I have not been back.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    I have not been there in a few years but the last time I went the food was basically inedible and the service was atrocious. I have not been back.
    You probably weren't dressed right so they ignored you.

That is highly likely. I have never been very fashion forward. Shopping is just not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    That is highly likely. I have never been very fashion forward. Shopping is just not my thing.
    Me neither. That's why I only ever went there a couple of times.

Drum Room tweeted that they are now open for business. Every day til 2am, kitchen open til 1am.

Drum Room looks like the have an interesting and inventive menu, even if it is comfort food.

Look forward to a review.

The OU Institute for Quality Communities has been working with this district for pedestrian improvements.

Western Avenue | The Institute for Quality Communities

Here are some of their recommendations:

HangryHippo Guest

I really like what they've proposed. P180 for Western, but hopefully better managed. I like it.

As a homeowner in the area, I'm interested in what I can do to help get this plan come to fruition. Should I contact the city, or just contact the OU institute?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    As a homeowner in the area, I'm interested in what I can do to help get this plan come to fruition. Should I contact the city, or just contact the OU institute?
    You should plan to attend the meeting below and recruit some of your neighbors.

You might also want to contact Blair Humphreys directly.

Western Avenue Town Hall – July 11
    A final town hall presentation on the Western Avenue Placemaking project will be held on Thursday, July 11 at 6:00 p.m..

When: Thursday, July 11, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
    Where: Westminster Middle School Auditorium, 600 NW 44th Street
    RSVP Via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1385124391700374/

Please join us as we share the results of this study with the public, including survey results, walkability audit, parking analysis, and recommendations for streetscape design and development regulations. A downloadable copy of the plan will be available for review prior to the meeting

I thought there was already a funded streetscape plan for Western?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You should plan to attend the meeting below and recruit some of your neighbors.

You might also want to contact Blair Humphreys directly.

Western Avenue Town Hall – July 11
    A final town hall presentation on the Western Avenue Placemaking project will be held on Thursday, July 11 at 6:00 p.m..

When: Thursday, July 11, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
    Where: Westminster Middle School Auditorium, 600 NW 44th Street
    RSVP Via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1385124391700374/

Please join us as we share the results of this study with the public, including survey results, walkability audit, parking analysis, and recommendations for streetscape design and development regulations. A downloadable copy of the plan will be available for review prior to the meeting
    Dang, I'll be in Wien when that meeting happens . I'll definitely contact Blair though.

The pedestrian improvement suggestions from OU remind me of many of the street redesigns seen in this video:

Complete Streets: It's About More Than Just Bike Lanes on Vimeo

Which, though mainly is about the addition of bike lines to certain high volume neighborhood streets in New York , also includes changes for better pedestrian activity, such as the crosswalk islands and pedestrian plazas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

[/center]
    I like the baby stroller parked in front of Sipango.

Mama needs her juice!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    I like the baby stroller parked in front of Sipango.

Mama needs her juice!
    Thanks for the laugh!

I think Western could become very similar to Bardstown Road in Louisville - but better with these improvements.

21. Default Re: Western Avenue District

After a long delay, Vintage Coffee opens tomorrow at 6am. They are on the NW corner of 49th and Western.

What's the latest on the streetscape progressing forward?

Here is an update by Molly Fleming with the Journal Record.

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Institute for Quality Communities at the University of Oklahoma has looked at what it would take to make part of N. Western Avenue a walkable area of the city.

It has numbers. It has graphs. It has survey results. Starting next week, IQC Executive Director Blair Humphreys and Western Avenue Project Manager Shane Hampton will be meeting with city engineers to discuss the implementation of the results of the study.

But putting that plan into action could take a little longer than expected. The district between NW 36th and NW 48th streets sits in the zone of Oklahoma City Councilman Ed Shadid, who is also running for the office of Oklahoma City mayor.

“It’s very political,” Humphreys said.

As part of the 2007 General Obligation Bond Package, the institute was hired by the city to examine what could be done to improve Western Avenue and make it more pedestrian-friendly. An initial meeting with residents, Hampton said, revealed that they wanted the area to be a place where they could walk around, do some window shopping, and enjoy dinner on a patio.

“They hired the right people because that’s exactly what we wanted it to be as well,” Humphreys said.

Hampton said one of the biggest changes that would help the district – with very little cost – would be changing the speed limit and putting up signage for the major shopping corridors, such as between NW 41st and 46th streets. He said the signage would alert people that they are entering a specific area and need to be cautious for activity.

In a survey with shop owners, Humphreys said, one of the biggest concerns was parking. Metered parking with the money from the meters could go to Western Avenue improvements, he said. The shop owners seemed to be on board with the idea.

Humphreys said the idea could be adapted in other districts that are seeing parking issues.

The existing parking in the district is not helping with walkability. Some designated walking areas are blocked by vehicles, causing some people to walk along the street.

Widened sidewalks would not only help meet compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, but also provide space for restaurants to place tables outside. They would be able to add more seating without construction costs.

The study found there is enough space for 5,540 feet of sidewalk, or 200 outdoor tables, between NW 41st and 46th streets.

The institute keeps a blog of its work on the project, which can be found at Western Avenue | The Institute for Quality Communities.

As much as free parking is a great thing, this would be a step in the right direction. I can only hope this happens and is carried over to Uptown, Midtown, and other emerging districts. If we could only keep politics out of this...

Cool map of shops and services:

Thread Information