Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunset Amphitheater

Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

Just an off the wall take here, I am happy with being wrong on this, but does anyone else wish the venue were a bit smaller? Clearly I'm being picky, but I'm talking more 6-8k seats instead of 12k. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by CitySooner View Post
    Just an off the wall take here, I am happy with being wrong on this, but does anyone else wish the venue were a bit smaller? Clearly I'm being picky, but I'm talking more 6-8k seats instead of 12k. Thoughts?
    We already have a 6-8k seat amp (ZOo Amp is 7k). What good would another one do? And most tours want basically 10k and above, or they can't make money. Hence why the Zoo gets minimal shows, compared to other amphitheaters across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The shade cover will be great to block out the sun, but I would think they would need some big fans to keep air moving through it as well.
    Oklahoma wind will take care of that...

The sun cover doesn't seem made to block the sun but instead are there for rain. Those coverings look semi-transparent. Additionally, the stage is on the south side of the property, which means we might always be looking into the sun while sitting in the seats, no matter the season.

The surest give-away that the stage is very far from most the seats is the addition of huge video screens; they are much smaller in the original renderings.

I mentioned before that I've been to Shoreline in Mountain View and it was a complete waste of time. Our group spent the entire night watching the video screen and very few around us were paying attention at all. It really, really sucked.

The Hollywood and Santa Barbara Bowls are both fantastic though because the slope is quite steep, bringing most seats pretty close to the stage. Without an existing hillside, there is no way to get the seats close; I bet the pitch ends up like the zoo. Also, a true bowl captures the sound. The acoustics at both places are fantastic, as is the setting of course.

If I was going to a concert here, I would either buy seats at the very front or not bother with the expense and hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The surest give-away that the stage is very far from most the seats is the addition of huge video screens; they are much smaller in the original renderings.

I mentioned before that I've been to Shoreline in Mountain View and it was a complete waste of time. Our group spent the entire night watching the video screen and very few around us were paying attention at all. It really, really sucked.

The Hollywood and Santa Barbara Bowls are both fantastic though because the slope is quite steep, bringing most seats pretty close to the stage. Without an existing hillside, there is no way to get the seats close; I bet the pitch ends up like the zoo. Also, a true bowl captures the sound. The acoustics at both places are fantastic, as is the setting of course.

If I was going to a concert here, I would either buy seats at the very front or not bother with the expense and hassle.
    Most modern amphitheaters are like this, though. Dos Equis in Dallas, Cynthia Woods in The Woodlands, Xfinity Theater in Hartford, RV Inn Style Resorts Amp in Ridgefield, WA, USANA Amp in Salt Lake. I agree, most shows won't be worth the hassle, unless you really like the band, But getting those shows these venues get that skip OKC because we can't fit 10k in the amphitheater will be big for people who truly love live music, regardless of seeing the stage (of which there are plenty).

I am biased, because I have been to all of those venues, and while ours won't be perfect, it will give us something very similar to those, and will get the shows that skip over OKC that I have to travel to Dallas or Houston for (mostly rock and metal shows).

https://www.livenation.com/venue/Kov...avilion-events

Yeah, Gilford, NH shouldn't be having shows like this, and our city has none.

https://www.livenation.com/venue/Kov...theatre-events

Same with Birmingham, AL.

It isn't that these venues are just crazy booked, but they have shows already lined up, whereas the Zoo Amp has nothing.

https://waltonartscenter.org/AMP/

Now, for a venue that is packed with events already, look about 3 hours to our northeast, Walmart AMP is loaded already. They are not more hip or happening than OKC, yet because they have a venue that gets close to that 10k threshold, they have like, 20 shows already booked.

Either that, or the Zoo Amp sucks at booking shows.

^

At Shoreline it was the B-52s and I've seen them 3-4 times and always loved them.

But not in Mountain View; way too far away and impossible to hear well.

As expensive as concerts are, I want to be very sure I have good seats, especially at venues like this. Equally true for U2 at Dodger Stadium. I was right behind home plate but Bono was almost to the centerfield fence. Terrible, terrible concert very expensive and you can imagine the horror when 40,000 people all try to leave at once in L.A. I'm still scarred by that experience.

^

At Shoreline it was the B-52s and I've seen them 3-4 times and always loved them.

But not in Mountain View; way too far away and impossible to hear well.

As expensive as concerts are, I want to be very sure I have good seats, especially at venues like this. Equally true for U2 at Dodger Stadium. I was right behind home plate but Bono was almost to the centerfield fence. Terrible, terrible concert very expensive and you can imagine the horror when 40,000 people all try to leave at once in L.A. I'm still scarred by that experience.
    I agree. I don't love outdoor shows, but most of my favorite bands only do them, and I have had to live with it, unfortunately. i just don't want to drive all over the region to see them. Lol I know we aren't Dallas, but we should be above Rogers, AR or Gilford, NH.

The cover is a great addition, but asking investors to pony up to $100K to "own" one of those firepit suites that are a mile from the stage is just insane. They might want to rethink that.

Just remembered I saw Depeche Mode at the Starplex in Dallas during their Violator tour, absolutely the height of their popularity.

It was summer and there was a roof on the venue and it was *miserable*. I had good seats but ended up leaving before the encore because the conditions were insanely uncomfortable.

I also remember being at a Rangers game in the middle of the summer and by 11PM it was still like 95 outside. This is why they threw away a relatively new stadium and built a dome.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I saw the Dodgers in August in the late 80s and the woman at the hotel desk said, "You'd better take a jacket!" I just laughed and then was so cold by the 5th inning I had to bail. It had been sunny and mid-80s during the day, about as good as it gets in August. Right then and there, I said, out loud, "That's it -- I'm moving here". And not long after I did exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Expert View Post
    The cover is a great addition, but asking investors to pony up to $100K to "own" one of those firepit suites that are a mile from the stage is just insane. They might want to rethink that.
    "Honey remember when I promised Thinder season tickets? Well I went a different route"

12. Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

Santa Barbara is a masterclass in how you do that with a small space surrounded by everything. It is a beautiful spot and they get loads of A+ talent.

13. Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

Just remembered I saw Depeche Mode at the Starplex in Dallas during their Violator tour, absolutely the height of their popularity.

It was summer and there was a roof on the venue and it was *miserable*. I had good seats but ended up leaving before the encore because the conditions were insanely uncomfortable.

I also remember being at a Rangers game in the middle of the summer and by 11PM it was still like 95 outside. This is why they threw away a relatively new stadium and built a dome.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I saw the Dodgers in August in the late 80s and the woman at the hotel desk said, "You'd better take a jacket!" I just laughed and then was so cold by the 5th inning I had to bail. It had been sunny and mid-80s during the day, about as good as it gets in August. Right then and there, I said, out loud, "That's it -- I'm moving here". And not long after I did exactly that.
    So jealous of that. Saw DM at Starplex in 94 for Songs of Faith of Devotion tour and in 09 for Tour of the Universe (Superpages it was called then).

Yes, I always took a jacket to a night game at Dodger Stadium. I went to see the Yankees play an exhibition there maybe 20 years ago? It was freezing in April/whenever towards the end of the game, and possibly raining.

15. Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

That covering looks like a big game changer compared to the Zoo. We'll see what happens as to if it give some sun relief or if it just holds the heat in. With the way it's made, it doesn't look like it would hold in the heat though (it's not solid all the way across, meaning it has areas for air to flow). But some Big Ass Fans would be a good add just to keep some air moving. It's just effing hot in Oklahoma in the summer. You need something so it's not a sweat box like the OU games.

For someone comparing this to the zoo, um...the zoo amphitheater is a grassy null that's really an afterthought. Why does this pile of turd even exist? Take it out once this new one opens, and the zoo has more land for, oh i dont know, animals! LOL. To me, it's taking this sort of thing to a more permanent and grown-up model.

16. Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

Went to a Dodgers game in September of 2000 when I was in LA attending an International Downtown Association conference and was SHOCKED at how chilly it got. I mean, I also spent part of a day at the beach in Santa Monica on that trip, where it was plenty warm enough to swim.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    For someone comparing this to the zoo, um...the zoo amphitheater is a grassy null that's really an afterthought. Why does this pile of turd even exist?
    The Zoo Amphitheater has a storied past and history!

"The Oklahoma City Zoo Amphitheater was the first and principal structure built in Oklahoma City by the civilian conservation corps. It was established to provide jobs for economic recovery during the depression and was constructed from Native Sandstone during 1935 and 1936, with workers camping near the park. The first performance was "The Circus of 21 Death-Defying Acts". Other events have included an Annual Easter Pageant, concerts, dance programs, plays, and public meetings. The Amphitheater fell into disrepair in the 1960's, but restoration efforts began in the late 1970's. The Zoo Amphitheatre has now evolved into Oklahoma City's premier live concert venue."

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    The Zoo Amphitheater has a storied past and history!

"The Oklahoma City Zoo Amphitheater was the first and principal structure built in Oklahoma City by the civilian conservation corps. It was established to provide jobs for economic recovery during the depression and was constructed from Native Sandstone during 1935 and 1936, with workers camping near the park. The first performance was "The Circus of 21 Death-Defying Acts". Other events have included an Annual Easter Pageant, concerts, dance programs, plays, and public meetings. The Amphitheater fell into disrepair in the 1960's, but restoration efforts began in the late 1970's. The Zoo Amphitheatre has now evolved into Oklahoma City's premier live concert venue."
    That last sentence.....

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    For someone comparing this to the zoo, um...the zoo amphitheater is a grassy null that's really an afterthought. Why does this pile of turd even exist? Take it out once this new one opens, and the zoo has more land for, oh i dont know, animals! LOL. To me, it's taking this sort of thing to a more permanent and grown-up model.
    Because it fills a niche in the concert market, I would guess that is about it. 8,000 people. Diamon Ballroom holds 2,500, the Criterion holds 3-3,500 and the Paycom holds at max, 20,000 (of performed in the round).

I saw a TV ad for this for the first time tonight for the first time. They may have been doing it for a while but it's a first for me.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Because it fills a niche in the concert market, I would guess that is about it. 8,000 people. Diamon Ballroom holds 2,500, the Criterion holds 3-3,500 and the Paycom holds at max, 20,000 (of performed in the round).
    I'm curious about concerts in the round at Paycom. Is it a significant number?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I'm curious about concerts in the round at Paycom. Is it a significant number?
    From the Paycom website:

Capacities

Concert (360°) – 16,591
    Concert (270°) – 14,666
    Concert (240°) – 13,486
    Concert (180°) – 11,555
    Concert (Theatre) – 3,613

23. Default Re: Sunset Amphitheater

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That last sentence.....
    Right?

It's the only venue for that size....when you're the only one, you get the 1st place trophy by default. Not exactly a "win". I really hope this new venue is a success. On the surface, it looks like a whole game changer for the user experience. I'm sure the ticket prices will reflect that new experience.

A friend told me that yesterday he saw a TV ad seeking investors for this project.

He also said Lieutenant Governor Matt Pinnell appeared and provided an endorsement.

Has anyone see this TV commercial?

A friend told me that yesterday he saw a TV ad seeking investors for this project.

He also said Lieutenant Governor Matt Pinnell appeared and provided an endorsement.

Has anyone see this TV commercial?
    Yes, I saw it at the gym last week (I think). I think it was on channel 4.

Thread Information